What's new

Fine Accoutrements + Glycerin = Perfection!

So I know that this has surely been mentioned on here before, but I just have to say that after adding about 10ish drops of pure glycerin to my Fine aftershaves that they're pretty much perfect. I've always felt like my face would be especially "tight" after using my L'Orange Noir or American Blend, so when I was at CVS the other day and saw a small bottle of pure glycerin and figured I'd give it a try. Boy am I glad I did! I've always loved the alcohol burn, menthol cool, and wonderful scents of Fine accoutrements, but now with a slight modification I'm completely satisfied. If you've ever felt like your splash wasn't quite moisturizing enough but prefer not to use a balm I HIGHLY recommend this little trick. Wish I had done this sooner.

I frequently put a few drops in a bottle. I would be worried that 10 might make it a bit sticky, but whatever feels best on your face! I've never actually tried that many.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yes. That's the one drawback to any short-ingredient-list AS: sometimes, no "face food."

I add glycerin to Pinaud(s), Florida Water and 4711- anything with just alcohol and fragrance.

AA

I frequently put a few drops in a bottle. I would be worried that 10 might make it a bit sticky, but whatever feels best on your face! I've never actually tried that many.
I started out with 5 drops a couple of days ago, and when that didn't make a big difference I just decided to double it. Feels like the sweet spot for me.

Yes. That's the one drawback to any short-ingredient-list AS: sometimes, no "face food."

I add glycerin to Pinaud(s), Florida Water and 4711- anything with just alcohol and fragrance.

AA

That's gonna be my plan from now on too. I actually went ahead and added some to my Myrsol Agua Balsamica and Formula K along with my newly purchased Barrister and Mann 42, though it didn't need much help to begin with.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
You can experiment with castor oil, too. Some AS use those.

Don't DRINK the stuff; though that's what it's for ... I *also* use glycerin and castor oil to super- and uberlather soaps. Few drops make a soap explode (into superslick lather). Best $2-$4 investment in your shave den.

AA

You can experiment with castor oil, too. Some AS use those.

Don't DRINK the stuff; though that's what it's for ... I *also* use glycerin and castor oil to super- and uberlather soaps. Few drops make a soap explode (into superslick lather). Best $2-$4 investment in your shave den.

AA

I actually have a small bottle of castor oil already. May have to check that out.

Good suggestion! Thanks (may start with only 1 or 2 drops.)
No problem! I'm really pleased with just how great my face has felt all day long today. Even with my semi-oily skin, the addition of glycerin hasn't left any sort of sticky residue... Just made my skin that much more supple. [emoji108] [emoji106]

Be careful with the glycerine in the lather. A little bit is great, but there's a tipping point where the lather won't hold up as well (or as long) if there is too much glycerine. I've learned that the hard way :001_smile

Would adding 10 drops of glycerin decrease the longevity of the scent? I have the L'Orange Noir and it lasts a few hours. 10 drops doesn't sound like much, but I'm personally more into the burn and longevity/projection of the scent than using the aftershave as a face food. For that, I have witch hazel and (usually) Nivea brand aftershave balm.

After a shave, I'll splash on some Thayers or Dickinson's Witch Hazel (even the Familly Dollar store will do on occasion). Then I'll splash on a nice alcohol content aftershave for a solid burn and for any small nicks or cuts. About 5 minutes later, I'll apply a small (dime size) amount of balm, followed 15 minutes later by a little more aftershave (or cologne) on the neck and arms.

Would adding 10 drops of glycerin decrease the longevity of the scent? I have the L'Orange Noir and it lasts a few hours. 10 drops doesn't sound like much, but I'm personally more into the burn and longevity/projection of the scent than using the aftershave as a face food. For that, I have witch hazel and (usually) Nivea brand aftershave balm.

After a shave, I'll splash on some Thayers or Dickinson's Witch Hazel (even the Familly Dollar store will do on occasion). Then I'll splash on a nice alcohol content aftershave for a solid burn and for any small nicks or cuts. About 5 minutes later, I'll apply a small (dime size) amount of balm, followed 15 minutes later by a little more aftershave (or cologne) on the neck and arms.

I can't imagine that small of an amount of glycerin would adversely affect an aftershave's scent strength. I sure didn't notice that with my use of Fine L'Orange Noir today. I prefer for my aftershave to be dual purpose... Great smelling AND great performance as an aftershave. Fine+Glycerin is certainly that.

So I know that this has surely been mentioned on here before, but I just have to say that after adding about 10ish drops of pure glycerin to my Fine aftershaves that they're pretty much perfect. I've always felt like my face would be especially "tight" after using my L'Orange Noir or American Blend, so when I was at CVS the other day and saw a small bottle of pure glycerin and figured I'd give it a try. Boy am I glad I did! I've always loved the alcohol burn, menthol cool, and wonderful scents of Fine accoutrements, but now with a slight modification I'm completely satisfied. If you've ever felt like your splash wasn't quite moisturizing enough but prefer not to use a balm I HIGHLY recommend this little trick. Wish I had done this sooner.

What is the brand of the glycerin you purchased? In what section of the store did you find it?

AA

I do exactly the same.

Good suggestion! Thanks (may start with only 1 or 2 drops.)

This is the way to go. For me, I want to just know it's there, which is usually 1 drop per 1 or 2 ounces of AS. It seems we all have a different preference here.

Would adding 10 drops of glycerin decrease the longevity of the scent?

I'd say the glycerine adds to the after shave scent loiter time ...

AA

I agree with Ad Astra--it doesn't subtract, it adds.

What is the brand of the glycerin you purchased? In what section of the store did you find it?
proxy.php

http://m.cvs.com/shop/beauty/skin-care/body/cvs-usp-pure-glycerin-6-oz-prodid-1015638
I bought a 16 ounce bottle off Amazon for less than $10 recently. I have no idea what brands are the best, so I'm not endorsing this brand, but its what I bought and it has seemed to serve its purpose great.

http://www.amazon.com/Solutions-Gly...1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
The one you linked on Amazon looks like a better brand and deal. Especially if one has Amazon Prime.

Top Bottom