What's new

Finally. It has been done.

Slow day at work today so I though I'd check on the progress of my first shave order from West Coast Shaving. It's my newbie kit, and I have been anxious for my first shave since ordering it on Sunday. I typed the tracking number into the USPS tracking site and hit enter, all the while thinking to myself " It shipped Wednesday, was still in Anaheim last night. I expect I won't see this until Saturday at the earliest. Monday for sure. After all, It's got to make it to Sioux Falls, SD."

And then, the magic words appeared on my screen:
Arrived in Sioux Falls. Out for delivery.

Needless to say, I got little accomplished the last 2 hours of work. I rushed home as soon as i could. Nothing in the mailbox. Nothing at the doorstep. Knowing my son, who was the only one who had already been home, is a good kid but highly unreliable about picking up the mail or any other household chores for that matter, I slowly walked up the steps to the house disappointed.

I opened the door, looked at the kitchen table.... and there it was. A package. Damn, I've got a good kid! Best in the world. Nice job, son! I grabbed a knife, took the box and went into the bathroom. My wife entered the house and, seeing me rush into the bathroom with a box and a knife, was curious and followed me.

I cut open the box. It was all there. Everything. Slowly and reverently I laid out my new items next to the supplies I had already been busy gathering for days: the oversized coffee cup that had recently "disappeared" from the kitchen (yes, my wife had caught me red handed), the CO Biggelow (Proraso) tube, the VDH Premium Brush, the Bottle of Witch Hazel, the Stypic pencil, and the bottles of Clubman and Old Spice that I had already collected. First. my Mitchell's Wool Fat soap. I tried to sniff it but it had no scent that i could tell . Then the puck of DR Harris Windsor. Nice. Next up, a tub of TOBS Sandalwood. Very nice. My alum block. My sampler pack of razors. And finally, my EJ DE89BA11 Razor. Ooooohhhh, shiny. Perfect. My wife, unimpressed, rolled her eyes and left. I wanted to shave. But it was dinner time, so I said my goodbye's and turned off the light.

After dinner we sat down for some TV. I flipped through the channels. Nothing on that interested me, but i kept flipping trying to find something. Finally, crazy from all of this my wife said " Why don't you just get out of here and go use your new razor. You know you want to." Woohoo! I'd been dismissed. Time to have my fun! God I love that woman!

I placed my brush in a cup of hot tap water and then got in the shower. Face prep. I wanted it steamy in there so I would have every chance to soften my beard. Lots of warm water. I washed my face as I stood in the shower thinking about what could go wrong with my shave. After several minutes in the shower I got out convinced I would somehow slice off my nose or a large portion of my chin. What was I about to do? Why?

Since I had a pack of Derby's with my sample kit as well as some that came with my razor, I decided to start with them. I put my razor together with it's new blade. I had previously decided to start out with shave cream, as in my mind I thought it might be easier to work up a good later, but that logic could be completely wrong. I chose the Proraso cream. No real reason why, although the TOBS smelled so good I think I wanted to save it for when the odds of a better shave were a bit more in my favor.

I took the wet brush and whipped up a good lather quickly in my stolen bowl. I tested it between 2 fingers. Slick enough. I was ready. I wet my face with warm water again, then swirled and painted the lathered brush all around my face until I had thick lather all over it. I tried to pull it with brush, and it stayed in place. No turning back now.

I held my razor as lightly as I could as I prepared to take my first stroke wet shaving WTG. Being 46 yrs old, I don't remember the anxiety I felt on my very first shave at 15, but it had to be similar to this. I did it. I could hear the whiskers scratching against the blade as i made my passes. No blood, and my cheek was still there. I was doing it. Finished the cheeks, then started on the neck. Still all was ok. Finished off my chin and upper lip. I was done. And I looked the same as i did before the shave, except that i had fewer whiskers. I lathered up for another pass XTG. Neck stung just a bit from as i added the cream, but I knew this would be a trouble area for me as I had seen while mapping out my face how the whiskers on my neck grow in all directions. Some parts up, some parts down, and some parts diagonal in this area. The sting was not too bad to continue on anyway. After that pass was completed I had a few weepers in the neck area, both sides. Still, I hadn't had any major mishaps. I was proud of my work, although looking back I probably should have stopped after the first pass on this initial run.

I splashed off with cold water, It felt good. Then the alum block. Oh my god, the alum block. Feedback. Yes, I had feedback. Nothing I was surprised at though, I will have to be more careful on my neck for sure. I let the alum dry on my face as I cleaned up the counter and sink, and took my razor apart to dry. Then I rinsed off my face and patted it dry. Looking good, Mr. Handsom. Next came the witch hazel. It felt much better on the skin than the alum did and by now my weepers were invisible. Once that was nearly dry I splashed on some Clubman. Yowza! But ohh so good burn (for those of you who don't sorry - I like the alcohol.)

Overall, not the best shave I've ever had as far as initial comfort, but by no means the worst. I'm happy with the results even if i did get a little razor burn with my first attempt. If I use what I have learned tonight it will only improve from here on, right? But i'm clean shaven and scab free. I'm definitely hooked on this, that's for sure.

If you made it this far I'm sorry for such a long post, but I felt I had to share my "ceremony" with others who might understand. If you read it all you are either extremely bored or as obsessed with wet shaving as I now feel. I am finally one of you. One of the Enlightened. Thank you for lighting my way down The Chosen Path.

Good summation of what appears to be normal life here on the forum.
Boxes, deliveries, hit & miss shaves, and anticipation of the next chance to refine your skills.

Everything sounds perfect other than the blade. I'd swap out the Derby with a Gillette or Feather and give it another go!

Good for you, man! Nice post! I remember my first delivery, I too couldn't wait. Nice to read all went well. You're going to like the Mitchell's soap. I bought some months back and I'm a few shaves away from finishing it. Puck #2 is ready to go. I's about the only soap I use since it was delivered. I was primarily a cream guy until then. I like Myrsol Emulsion with MWF for skin care and scent. In the northern climate I live in, those two products protect very well.

Great post and as a newbie myself, I completely understand how you feel. I have a few items on order and can't wait to try them out. I used to hate shaving and now I hate only shaving once a day...well some days.

Good for you, man! Nice post! I remember my first delivery, I too couldn't wait. Nice to read all went well. You're going to like the Mitchell's soap. I bought some months back and I'm a few shaves away from finishing it. Puck #2 is ready to go. I's about the only soap I use since it was delivered. I was primarily a cream guy until then. I like Myrsol Emulsion with MWF for skin care and scent. In the northern climate I live in, those two products protect very well.

What are you talking about? I still am waiting on my next order like a kid in a candy store. LOL! I thought the excitement would calm. Only somewhat. Now I want skin food and honing stones

You are only months from finishing a MWF puck? Are you shaving a platoon as well? My puck will last at least a year.

Great to hear of your experience. Think about it, you just turned something you used consider a chore into an exciting experience. Whats not to love about that!?! Enjoy your shave!

Slow day at work today so I though I'd check on the progress of my first shave order from West Coast Shaving. It's my newbie kit, and I have been anxious for my first shave since ordering it on Sunday. I typed the tracking number into the USPS tracking site and hit enter, all the while thinking to myself " It shipped Wednesday, was still in Anaheim last night. I expect I won't see this until Saturday at the earliest. Monday for sure. After all, It's got to make it to Sioux Falls, SD."

And then, the magic words appeared on my screen:
Arrived in Sioux Falls. Out for delivery.

Needless to say, I got little accomplished the last 2 hours of work. I rushed home as soon as i could. Nothing in the mailbox. Nothing at the doorstep. Knowing my son, who was the only one who had already been home, is a good kid but highly unreliable about picking up the mail or any other household chores for that matter, I slowly walked up the steps to the house disappointed.

I opened the door, looked at the kitchen table.... and there it was. A package. Damn, I've got a good kid! Best in the world. Nice job, son! I grabbed a knife, took the box and went into the bathroom. My wife entered the house and, seeing me rush into the bathroom with a box and a knife, was curious and followed me.

I cut open the box. It was all there. Everything. Slowly and reverently I laid out my new items next to the supplies I had already been busy gathering for days: the oversized coffee cup that had recently "disappeared" from the kitchen (yes, my wife had caught me red handed), the CO Biggelow (Proraso) tube, the VDH Premium Brush, the Bottle of Witch Hazel, the Stypic pencil, and the bottles of Clubman and Old Spice that I had already collected. First. my Mitchell's Wool Fat soap. I tried to sniff it but it had no scent that i could tell . Then the puck of DR Harris Windsor. Nice. Next up, a tub of TOBS Sandalwood. Very nice. My alum block. My sampler pack of razors. And finally, my EJ DE89BA11 Razor. Ooooohhhh, shiny. Perfect. My wife, unimpressed, rolled her eyes and left. I wanted to shave. But it was dinner time, so I said my goodbye's and turned off the light.

After dinner we sat down for some TV. I flipped through the channels. Nothing on that interested me, but i kept flipping trying to find something. Finally, crazy from all of this my wife said " Why don't you just get out of here and go use your new razor. You know you want to." Woohoo! I'd been dismissed. Time to have my fun! God I love that woman!

I placed my brush in a cup of hot tap water and then got in the shower. Face prep. I wanted it steamy in there so I would have every chance to soften my beard. Lots of warm water. I washed my face as I stood in the shower thinking about what could go wrong with my shave. After several minutes in the shower I got out convinced I would somehow slice off my nose or a large portion of my chin. What was I about to do? Why?

Since I had a pack of Derby's with my sample kit as well as some that came with my razor, I decided to start with them. I put my razor together with it's new blade. I had previously decided to start out with shave cream, as in my mind I thought it might be easier to work up a good later, but that logic could be completely wrong. I chose the Proraso cream. No real reason why, although the TOBS smelled so good I think I wanted to save it for when the odds of a better shave were a bit more in my favor.

I took the wet brush and whipped up a good lather quickly in my stolen bowl. I tested it between 2 fingers. Slick enough. I was ready. I wet my face with warm water again, then swirled and painted the lathered brush all around my face until I had thick lather all over it. I tried to pull it with brush, and it stayed in place. No turning back now.

I held my razor as lightly as I could as I prepared to take my first stroke wet shaving WTG. Being 46 yrs old, I don't remember the anxiety I felt on my very first shave at 15, but it had to be similar to this. I did it. I could hear the whiskers scratching against the blade as i made my passes. No blood, and my cheek was still there. I was doing it. Finished the cheeks, then started on the neck. Still all was ok. Finished off my chin and upper lip. I was done. And I looked the same as i did before the shave, except that i had fewer whiskers. I lathered up for another pass XTG. Neck stung just a bit from as i added the cream, but I knew this would be a trouble area for me as I had seen while mapping out my face how the whiskers on my neck grow in all directions. Some parts up, some parts down, and some parts diagonal in this area. The sting was not too bad to continue on anyway. After that pass was completed I had a few weepers in the neck area, both sides. Still, I hadn't had any major mishaps. I was proud of my work, although looking back I probably should have stopped after the first pass on this initial run.

I splashed off with cold water, It felt good. Then the alum block. Oh my god, the alum block. Feedback. Yes, I had feedback. Nothing I was surprised at though, I will have to be more careful on my neck for sure. I let the alum dry on my face as I cleaned up the counter and sink, and took my razor apart to dry. Then I rinsed off my face and patted it dry. Looking good, Mr. Handsom. Next came the witch hazel. It felt much better on the skin than the alum did and by now my weepers were invisible. Once that was nearly dry I splashed on some Clubman. Yowza! But ohh so good burn (for those of you who don't sorry - I like the alcohol.)

Overall, not the best shave I've ever had as far as initial comfort, but by no means the worst. I'm happy with the results even if i did get a little razor burn with my first attempt. If I use what I have learned tonight it will only improve from here on, right? But i'm clean shaven and scab free. I'm definitely hooked on this, that's for sure.

If you made it this far I'm sorry for such a long post, but I felt I had to share my "ceremony" with others who might understand. If you read it all you are either extremely bored or as obsessed with wet shaving as I now feel. I am finally one of you. One of the Enlightened. Thank you for lighting my way down The Chosen Path.
You are welcome. Keep us posted on any more great shave news.......

That was great to read! As someone who'll be doing his first DE shave in the very near future (close to ordering my 34C), I've got the same mix of apprehension and excitement.

Thanks for the account of your first time, and may you have some great shaves to come!

Awesome!! Great post, it WILL definitely get better from there. As your technique and all get better the shaves and smoothness with come along. Then you will change to a new type of blade and be WOW! No with is a BBS!! Lol, all in the fun

Thanks to all who tolerated my long post and read through it. I't been hours since my shave, but I'm still thinking about it and looking forward to the next one. I don't know how many times I've shaved in my life up until this point, but it's always been something quick and annoying - nothing to really look forward to. This has certainly changed it into something much more enjoyable and something I look forward to. I hope that never goes away from here on out. The wife even commented on the shave, "Ohh, how smooth!" so maybe i've started to win her over on the idea of all of this.

The one "negative" in all of this is that I've got a full blown case of RAD right now. I've been scouring every place i can looking for items of interest. razors, soaps, aftershaves, creams, scuttles, even barber poles! I see major redecorating of my bathroom in the future. Luckily I shave in one the wife rarely uses so I won't have to have her complete buy in on that idea. I'll also have to resist (a bit) the urge to change things up quickly until I've got this down a bit more. I can't help it though, I just love the smells, feel, and rituals that this new hobby brings with it.

Well today, instead of watching for the mailman to arrive, I'm watching my whiskers grow long enough for shave #2. Grow! I've got to shave again!

Thanks to all who tolerated my long post and read through it. I't been hours since my shave, but I'm still thinking about it and looking forward to the next one. I don't know how many times I've shaved in my life up until this point, but it's always been something quick and annoying - nothing to really look forward to. This has certainly changed it into something much more enjoyable and something I look forward to. I hope that never goes away from here on out. The wife even commented on the shave, "Ohh, how smooth!" so maybe i've started to win her over on the idea of all of this.

The one "negative" in all of this is that I've got a full blown case of RAD right now. I've been scouring every place i can looking for items of interest. razors, soaps, aftershaves, creams, scuttles, even barber poles! I see major redecorating of my bathroom in the future. Luckily I shave in one the wife rarely uses so I won't have to have her complete buy in on that idea. I'll also have to resist (a bit) the urge to change things up quickly until I've got this down a bit more. I can't help it though, I just love the smells, feel, and rituals that this new hobby brings with it.

Well today, instead of watching for the mailman to arrive, I'm watching my whiskers grow long enough for shave #2. Grow! I've got to shave again!

LOL!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Yep, you're hooked!!! I've been at this for about 4 years now, what you're going through is completely normal, you will be turning over ever rock to find shaving stuff.

I'm relocating to that area in a few months, good to see I'll have some competition while looking for those shaving treasures at the local antique shops!

Justin

Great writeup. Love the story telling. I know your exact feeling when I opened mine up Christmas morning. Now I look forward to my daily shave!

Good stuff man. If you think you have RAD now, wait til you start experimenting with all the great soaps and creams out there... then brushes. :)

Keep enjoying it. As far as shave technique, my advice would be to practice getting that blade angle right---which you can even do between shaves, in the mirror on an unlathered face, without shaving. You might even remove the blade and just practice getting that blade angle right on your cheeks vs chin vs neck. Also look here for some great pictures. And then practice using zero pressure, especially on the neck. It takes very intentional effort to undo all the muscle memory from years of cartridge shaving, where you can press down (too much pressure!) while holding the handle almost parallel to the shaving surface (improper blade angle!).

Like I said, keep enjoying it!

Last edited:
LOL!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Yep, you're hooked!!! I've been at this for about 4 years now, what you're going through is completely normal, you will be turning over ever rock to find shaving stuff.

I'm relocating to that area in a few months, good to see I'll have some competition while looking for those shaving treasures at the local antique shops!

Justin

As a matter of fact I'm trying to convince the wife that we need to make a trip to some of the vintage/antique stores right now! As far as relocating here, Welcome! I think it's a great area, and I've lived all over the US. We've got a lot, but not all the amenities of a really big city. If you currently have any type of shave store in your area buy all you can and bring it with you because there isn't much readily available around here that I've been able to find so far. VDH kits and premium brushes, Williams soap pucks, CO Biggelow shave cream, and Clubman are about the only things I've been able to sniff out so far. Otherwise it's been all online shopping, which is tough for someone like me who is new at all of this trying to determine what products and scents I will enjoy using.

Top Bottom