What's new

Finally. It has been done.

Welcome. One thing I realized too is that wives don't understand, mine (love her to death) just stood there and shook her head.

Welcome to B&B.

Nice to have you. i know exactly how you felt on that first attempt.

It sounds like you'll fit right in here. We all suffer for AD(aquisition disorder)here no worries it's not harmful.

You'll just have to break the news about your new condition to your wife.

Keep us in the loop as to your progress, and thanx for the read.

Welcome! Too long of an intro? No way... a big part of this community is sharing the enlightenment of wet shaving. The AD happens quickly. When I started, after a few months I've amassed quite an array of soaps, creams, and aftershaves. Not long after, I found myself not being able to pass the bathroom without stopping to open some lids and sniff. It was pretty funny the first time the fiancé caught me (head shaking and eye rolling)! As we speak, I'm waiting for the mailman to bring me my first Thiers-Issard. He always seems to come so much later on days when I need him. ;)

Welcome to the forum. you'll find all the info, advice, suggestions and tips and tricks you'll ever need here. I loved reading about your experience...you're a pretty funny guy...

One thing I can tell you. That first experience of anticipation on an order and the excitement when it arrives, will not be your last... I promise!

Well I am on a roll now! Just when I thought things couldn't get any better than yesterday, I check the mail today and what do you think i found? ANOTHER PACKAGE! This time it was the Ogallala Bay Rum Sampler pack I ordered. They were generous enough to throw in a bottle of air freshener and sample of their shave soap as well. After sniffing each bottle variation of Bay Rum and then running around the house spraying the air freshener around the wife and I picked up my mom and headed out for the antique store near here. I was certain the way things were going for me that I was about to purchase the shaving find of the century. Found a couple of razors, a few scuttles, plastic handled shave brushes, but nothing that I had to have so I passed. I did find a couple of cabinet pieces that I could see as a future home for my new found toys, but passed on these future shave dens for now until my vision is complete. Wouldn't want to buy one too small, now would I?

Needing another fix, we ran to Walmart after the antique store and I quickly picked up 4 of the 1 cup pyrex containers I've read about on here for storing soaps. My wife, puzzled when i placed them into the cart, questioned the purchase. After my detailed explanation of it's use as well as the minimal investment required (less than $10! They last forever!) I thought there was no way she would not understand the necessity of these bowls, and my confidence was met with a one word response - "Whatever." Ahhh, but it wasn't a no... Victory!

Sat down after dinner, the wife watching (in disbelief again) as I carefully placed each puck of soap I have into it's own container. Grabbing a pair of scissors I carefully cut out each emblem from the soap's original box and hot glued it to the top of the pyrex lid, identifying each puck. Beautiful!

Now as I update you all on my progress, I fell content to browse the forum, picking up tips and dreaming of future purchases as I read about the other experiences on here. In the back of my mind there is a little voice crying "shave!" All these new toys. It Christmas in February and I want to play!

After my issues with last night's shave, the smart thing would be to give my face a rest, heal up and take my 2nd crack at this tomorrow. Yep, that's my plan. I'll just catch up on all the new B&B posts, maybe check out the B/S/T every 2 minutes to see if any of my "must have" razors are for sale. Perfect, relaxing night!

"Shave!"

Hmm... what to do....

Well I am on a roll now! Just when I thought things couldn't get any better than yesterday, I check the mail today and what do you think i found? ANOTHER PACKAGE! This time it was the Ogallala Bay Rum Sampler pack I ordered. They were generous enough to throw in a bottle of air freshener and sample of their shave soap as well. After sniffing each bottle variation of Bay Rum and then running around the house spraying the air freshener around the wife and I picked up my mom and headed out for the antique store near here. I was certain the way things were going for me that I was about to purchase the shaving find of the century. Found a couple of razors, a few scuttles, plastic handled shave brushes, but nothing that I had to have so I passed. I did find a couple of cabinet pieces that I could see as a future home for my new found toys, but passed on these future shave dens for now until my vision is complete. Wouldn't want to buy one too small, now would I?

Needing another fix, we ran to Walmart after the antique store and I quickly picked up 4 of the 1 cup pyrex containers I've read about on here for storing soaps. My wife, puzzled when i placed them into the cart, questioned the purchase. After my detailed explanation of it's use as well as the minimal investment required (less than $10! They last forever!) I thought there was no way she would not understand the necessity of these bowls, and my confidence was met with a one word response - "Whatever." Ahhh, but it wasn't a no... Victory!

Sat down after dinner, the wife watching (in disbelief again) as I carefully placed each puck of soap I have into it's own container. Grabbing a pair of scissors I carefully cut out each emblem from the soap's original box and hot glued it to the top of the pyrex lid, identifying each puck. Beautiful!

Now as I update you all on my progress, I fell content to browse the forum, picking up tips and dreaming of future purchases as I read about the other experiences on here. In the back of my mind there is a little voice crying "shave!" All these new toys. It Christmas in February and I want to play!

After my issues with last night's shave, the smart thing would be to give my face a rest, heal up and take my 2nd crack at this tomorrow. Yep, that's my plan. I'll just catch up on all the new B&B posts, maybe check out the B/S/T every 2 minutes to see if any of my "must have" razors are for sale. Perfect, relaxing night!

"Shave!"

Hmm... what to do....
Smart move, give your face a rest and let it recover for a better shave.

GREAT day today. After coming home from the antique store empty handed yesterday I was determined to bring something home today. At the very least it was going to be one of those Walmart salsa bowls since the wife has now made it clear that the oversized coffee cup that had mysteriously disappeared from the kitchen had to be returned. We set off to a couple thrift stores today. First stop and I realized the wife was getting into this hunt. She must have picked up every single bowl in that store. This one? How about this one? This one is nice!
Now for those of you who have been through this, how do you explain to your wife that, while it's true that any bowl can work as a shave bowl more or less, that it needs to be the "RIGHT" bowl or mug. You have to connect with it, have it call to you to the point that you know you want to spend the rest of your shaving life with it. Well I tried to explain, but she was just about to give up on the search and change her attitude when WHAM! There it was. A Walmart salsa bowl. Not the prettiest thing. Plain, black plastic. but it had a rough feel to it. The bowl size was just about perfect. Sure it's not great, but I knew it would work based on the feedback I read here. Oh, and did I mention they wanted $.74 cents for it. how could I walk away?
Next store was a little bigger thrift store. We spent an hour wandering through the various booths. Nothing...but I was ok with it because I had my Salsa/Shaving bowl as backup now. Nothing that is until we hit the last booth. Jackpot. They had a bunch of shaving mugs - 2 pottery Old Spice mugs (Mug #3 based on what I've found) and 2 of the pottery glass ones from the 70's. , 2 Burma Shave mugs, A Fuller Brush mug, one with a duck or something like that. There was also a weird looking House of Fuller scuttle - an oblong shape I haven't seen before as well as a Your Father's Moustache scuttle. Of course I HAD to get an Old Spice Mug, It's almost mandatory around here, isn't it? I picked the best of the old pottery ones. I thought about the Fuller scuttle but passed on it this time.

To top the day off, I just finished shave #2. I don't want to be cocky because if I am you can bet the razor will teach me a lesson the next time, but I think I'm getting this! The big issue with the last shave was the neck. I changed my strategy for this area, splitting it to the upper area of the neck where I went Down and then Up on the 2nd and the lower neck that I did diagonal from the inside of the neck to the outside on both passes. No irritation - the alum block does not lie!!! All I could feel was the cool alum gliding across my face. I wouldn't call it a BBS (although I'm splitting hairs here,) but a DFS for sure! Kept the same Derby blade as the shave before as well as Bigellow/Proraso. at the end of the shave I splashed on some Ogallala Bay Rum from the sample I received yesterday and won the wife over AGAIN.

If feels great. I know there will probably be stumbles in my future with this, but it's great to know that it's really not that tough. Just pay attention to what you are doing and attack the problems you face correctly. One thing I did tonight that I didn't with the first shave is that, Instead of watching the blade to make sure I kept the proper angle I listened more. I could tell by the sound of the whiskers being cut when the angle was correct and when i had to adjust. If felt more like I was using all of my senses this time rather than just staring the blade down like i did the first time. Now I've just got to repeat this all with the rest of my shaves.

I'm having a blast with all of this. Great forum. Great hobby. Great lifestyle.

Always great to win the wifey over. It was nice of her to bowl shop with you too, you should tell her what you are looking for in a bowl.

Top Bottom