What's new

Finally! Chubby 3

OldSaw

The wife's investment
After all these years I finally pulled the trigger on a Simpson Chubby 3 in best badger. I must say, I was pretty impressed with its lathering ability on a puck of Mitchel’s Woolfat.

It is now standing proudly next to the Omega brush that I picked up in Barcelona, with a Simpson Commodore taking a backseat to this new arrival.

After ~35 years, I still get excited when I add a new brush to the stable. I could never justify the price before, but with a little above average income last year and a little below average living expenses, plus 20% off Simpson brushes at West Coast Shaving I finally decided, on a complete whim, to order one last weekend. It arrived today and I immediately put it to work.

I didn’t waste any time getting it out of the box. I soaked it for about a minute or so while I loaded up a new Feather blade in my Edwin Jagger DE89L, attached the new stainless steel handle that WCS tossed in on this order, set the razor aside, and reached for my bowl of MWF. The Chubby whipped up a fabulous lather in a very short time. It felt good on my face and didn’t scratch. After rinsing, I noticed that it had a slight wet dog smell, which did not surprise me, but I expect it to dissipate after a few uses like every other badger brush I’ve had.

Well that’s my update. I’m looking forward to many years of shave joy with this lather machine.
E2B14469-359F-437D-B37B-C5775F7B9DB4.jpeg

Congratulations on your new brush! I recently got a Chubby 2 in Best. I was pleasantly surprised that it isDRHarrisWindsor.jpg
not scratchy at all for being a new brush. I used it for the first time to lather up Dr Harris Windsor.

I also recommend the Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements shaving brush soap to clean the brush and get rid of any badger funk. It has borax and white vinegar to clean and deodorize brushes. I use it all my new and used brush purchases.

Congrats! My Chubby 2 whips up lather in no time flat. Love the face feel of all that badger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool. Yeah I was tempted by that WCS sale on Simpson’s too! But I just recently purchased a Simpson Duke 2 in best. (My first and only expensive brush). I love it. Maybe after 20 yrs I’ll go for a chubby brush as well!!

Enjoy the awesome brush.

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Enjoy your brush! Mine stands king of the collection.
fullsizeoutput_3cc.jpeg
(I also use it with MWF as an absolute favorite)

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Very cool. Yeah I was tempted by that WCS sale on Simpson’s too! But I just recently purchased a Simpson Duke 2 in best. (My first and only expensive brush). I love it. Maybe after 20 yrs I’ll go for a chubby brush as well!!

Enjoy the awesome brush.

I think I finally broke the $100 barrier with the Omega and I don’t even know anything about its specs. I just felt it calling out to me in a shop while visiting Barcelona. I’m very glad that I bought it though, because it performs wonderfully. It was a bit deceptive, because it felt rather stiff and a bit prickly in the store while dry and unused. However, my wife encouraged me to get it and it has not disappointed, as the wet hairs are truly blissful and not prickly at all.

And now that I have a $200 brush to decorate my shave brush shelf, I think I need a stainless steel razor head to go with the stainless steel handle that WCS sent me. This was totally unplanned and I was not making my purchase decision based on this little perk. But when it popped up on my order I wasn’t going to turn it down. It really gave new life to my old DE89L.

As much as I enjoy this new brush, I don’t regret delaying the purchase one bit. By being frugal with my money I was able to do well for my children. Plus I’ve enjoyed making this unusual hobby last nearly my entire adult life.

I think I finally broke the $100 barrier with the Omega and I don’t even know anything about its specs. I just felt it calling out to me in a shop while visiting Barcelona. I’m very glad that I bought it though, because it performs wonderfully. It was a bit deceptive, because it felt rather stiff and a bit prickly in the store while dry and unused. However, my wife encouraged me to get it and it has not disappointed, as the wet hairs are truly blissful and not prickly at all.

And now that I have a $200 brush to decorate my shave brush shelf, I think I need a stainless steel razor head to go with the stainless steel handle that WCS sent me. This was totally unplanned and I was not making my purchase decision based on this little perk. But when it popped up on my order I wasn’t going to turn it down. It really gave new life to my old DE89L.

As much as I enjoy this new brush, I don’t regret delaying the purchase one bit. By being frugal with my money I was able to do well for my children. Plus I’ve enjoyed making this unusual hobby last nearly my entire adult life.

Excellent. Go for the SS razor head! I really enjoy my Simpson Duke. I’m sure the chubby is just awesome.

I can’t really talk on frugality. I try to be but I have thrown some decent money at razors. Just not at brushes besides one. Alas this forum I will blame! Not my weak will power. Ha

The El Captain handle? I saw the deal but was looking for a different option as I already have the El Captain and would have loved to add one of the different handles from the collection. Shame they are out of the CNC heads from the collaboration with Charcoal Goods that went with the handles. It is an amazing razor. I'm sure you'll have fun finding a nice SS head to pair with it. I really like the handle.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
The El Captain handle? I saw the deal but was looking for a different option as I already have the El Captain and would have loved to add one of the different handles from the collection. Shame they are out of the CNC heads from the collaboration with Charcoal Goods that went with the handles. It is an amazing razor. I'm sure you'll have fun finding a nice SS head to pair with it. I really like the handle.

Yes, the El Captain. I wasn’t looking for it, but I like the way it feels on the EJ DE89 head.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
After owning the Chubby 3 for a couple weeks now, I have to report that it is probably the biggest disappointment of all my brush purchases. Not because it’s a bad brush, but because I paid so much more for it and I still prefer two of my other brushes that were a fraction of the price.

The Omega in the picture is about half the price and it is my current favorite. I think the handle is the biggest contributing factor between the two. Both have excellent badger hair knots, feel good on my face, and lather very well. I just prefer the feel of the Omega in my hand when using it.

The other favorite is a TGN knot in an Ever Ready handle gifted to me from @brianw a few years ago. It is not even my favorite handle feel, but it is still second only to the Omega, which seems to only be a larger version of the TGN. I used the heck out of that TGN brush ever since the day it showed up in my mailbox and it still performs just as well as the first day with practically no hair loss (in fact I want to say zero hair loss, but I don’t want to be accused of exaggerating because it could have lost a few that I didn’t notice).

So now I’m thinking about getting a TGN silver tip knot to repair my Art of Shaving brush that is deteriorating and maybe, just maybe, putting the Chubby on the used market.

That’s my update.

I already have my favorite brush that works fine for me, but I'm really looking forward to adding a Simpson to my stable at some point.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I already have my favorite brush that works fine for me, but I'm really looking forward to adding a Simpson to my stable at some point.

I’m not sure why, but I have to agree with you. There is something about a Simpson that is very alluring. The Chubby 3 is my third Simpson. I also have a Wee Scott and a Commodore, which I like fairly well, just not as well as the other two I just wrote about above.

After owning the Chubby 3 for a couple weeks now, I have to report that it is probably the biggest disappointment of all my brush purchases. Not because it’s a bad brush, but because I paid so much more for it and I still prefer two of my other brushes that were a fraction of the price.

The Omega in the picture is about half the price and it is my current favorite. I think the handle is the biggest contributing factor between the two. Both have excellent badger hair knots, feel good on my face, and lather very well. I just prefer the feel of the Omega in my hand when using it.

The other favorite is a TGN knot in an Ever Ready handle gifted to me from @brianw a few years ago. It is not even my favorite handle feel, but it is still second only to the Omega, which seems to only be a larger version of the TGN. I used the heck out of that TGN brush ever since the day it showed up in my mailbox and it still performs just as well as the first day with practically no hair loss (in fact I want to say zero hair loss, but I don’t want to be accused of exaggerating because it could have lost a few that I didn’t notice).

So now I’m thinking about getting a TGN silver tip knot to repair my Art of Shaving brush that is deteriorating and maybe, just maybe, putting the Chubby on the used market.

That’s my update.

Oldsaw, don't be in a rush to send off that Chubby 3. I own one and was not impressed with it initially. However, due to that wall of badger hair, it takes much longer than the regular brushes to get to optimal operating condition. The time and effort put into it will pay off in the long run, but 2 weeks is not long enough for it to be broken in.

It took mine about 2 months of rotation usage and then another 10-14 days of every other day usage before it now runs like a champ. MWF or Tabac are the soaps you want to use. Once it's broken in, it turns MWF into a cream like consistency when lathered up. Tabac becomes sublime also.

You obviously are a man w/ patience, so I say give it some more time-as Monk would say, You'll thank me later".

marty

Top Bottom