What's new

Final Thoughts For Now On Rockwell 6S

It may well be you need a razor that has even greater efficiency levels than the R6 provides. While it's not terribly difficult to find razors that fill that bill, getting one that combines higher efficiency with a corresponding comfortable level of smoothness may prove more of a challenge.

I'm completely dialed in using 6s/R3 and Kai blades. This is the first day I haven't shaved with the 6s in the month I've owned it (decided to try a vintage Gillette short comb NEW for King Gillette weekend :)).

However as others suggested, try additional blades in the event you haven't gotten a good match up for your beard type yet. Best wishes.
Thanks! I’m going to try a Feather with plate #4 next

Shave at night if you are rushing them during the day. Eventually you'll figure out what's going on and be able to bang em out quickly again.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Plate 6 is only medium aggressive? Whoa .I don't go past plate 4 .you might need a machete if 6 isn't aggressive enough .:)

I enjoy my Rockwell but it's taken a lot of concentration to get smooth shaves. I will note that if I have 2-3 days of stubble (not that common!), I do not reach for my Rockwell to provide an efficient shave. I enjoy aggressive razors (Fatboy or Slim on 9, New Improved, NEW SC, etc...)

I find that I really have to concentrate on the angle and cutting plane of the razor blade in the Rockwell. I think I naturally prefer the handle of the razor near my cheek (I think this is a steep angle but can never remember); I believe the Rockwell needs more angle on the handle towards perpendicular to the face (shallow angle). Looking at the blade alignment in the lower plates looks to me to accommodate my natural razor angle more. So try to keep this in mind during your next shave and be mindful of the alignment of the razor blade.

If you find you are noticing "chatter" in the blade, a shim might help to provide additional blade rigidity. And again be mindful of the shaving plane.

Good luck, looking forward to seeing how the feather works for you in the razor.

I have the Rockwell 6c gunmetal and that combo works for me. I alternate between Feather and KAI, though Polsilver is in there now.

My 3 daily shavers are an AS D2, the Rockwell 6C #4, and a Timeless Scalloped .68 gap. The Rockwell is the easiest daily shave of the three. If you find yourself pressed for time it’s a good razor.

Unlike ShavingPanda I ride the cap more than the guard (learned from the AS D2) and find that a good approach; roll down until you just feel the blade.

I don’t like going aggressive with the razor, I like to work the angle, listen for feedback, and make a couple of passes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Plate 6 is only medium aggressive? Whoa .I don't go past plate 4 .you might need a machete if 6 isn't aggressive enough .:)
My terminology could be off! Perhaps it’s just a smoother razor all around. I know each razor has completely different blade gaps and numbers on a dial or plate don’t mean anything except to that razor. I know if I put my Futur, Variant, or Progress on it’s most aggressive setting it’s definitely much more aggressive than the Rockwell.
Perhaps I am just not finding the right angle on the Rockwell?
I just noticed some other razors I don’t have to think about things too much. Some of the razors I mentioned except the Futur just seem to find the right angle automatically.
In a world of guys who have been shaving with DE for years, I can say for the most part I am realizing daily that I might not have a clue about any of this. Hahaha.
I think all these razors have a certain angle and blade that will work best.
I am going back down to the R4 using a Feather next shave while taking my time. I’m also going to break out a better cream and see how it goes.
I’m sure I will figure it all out in time.

I have the Rockwell 6c gunmetal and that combo works for me. I alternate between Feather and KAI, though Polsilver is in there now.

My 3 daily shavers are an AS D2, the Rockwell 6C #4, and a Timeless Scalloped .68 gap. The Rockwell is the easiest daily shave of the three. If you find yourself pressed for time it’s a good razor.

Unlike ShavingPanda I ride the cap more than the guard (learned from the AS D2) and find that a good approach; roll down until you just feel the blade.

I don’t like going aggressive with the razor, I like to work the angle, listen for feedback, and make a couple of passes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I also have the AS-D2 and so far have only used it once. From what everyone says it’s considered a very mild razor. Using a Feather blade I remember being very happy with it. I have very mild skin that irritates easily. From what I remember that mild razor with the sharp blade was perfect. I’m going to be using it again sometime next week.
I’m looking forward to it.

I also have the AS-D2 and so far have only used it once. From what everyone says it’s considered a very mild razor. Using a Feather blade I remember being very happy with it. I have very mild skin that irritates easily. From what I remember that mild razor with the sharp blade was perfect. I’m going to be using it again sometime next week.
I’m looking forward to it.

Good idea. Experimentation is what it's all about. And there is no need to give up on your Rockwell, even if you are not getting on with it right now. You might come back to it in two months or six months or a year and find that you love it. A lot of things change with experience. Just try to enjoy the shaves. :thumbsup:

Okay so the last shave left some stubble that even on R6 could not be removed. I was going to wait but my curiosity got the best of me.
I put a Feather blade in and used the R4 plate. I was hoping to come back and say wow that’s it! It was just the blade. Well not the case.
I decided after that experiment to try my ATT razor with Regular Use or medium plate and a Wilkerson Sword blade.
Immediately it just felt right! No need to fuss with trying to find a proper angle or anything. Worked much better than the Rockwell for me.
Now I’m not saying that because it cost twice as much it is better.
My Mekur 34C also works better than the Rockwell.
No doubt in my mind that this razor is just not for me. I never liked the thick bulky head just like I don’t care for the Mekur Futur.
I really don’t understand how so many people think this is a fantastic razor??? Except for the actual build quality which is excellent I have never gotten a good shave.
I might hold it and go back to it in 6 Months but I’m sure it will be among a handful of other razors I will be selling.
I suppose just like not every blade works for everyone, same goes for razors. I also have the Rockwell 2C I bought first. That just has 2 settings.
Another one I never liked from day one.

Okay so more final thoughts...
I don’t think I am done with my thoughts just yet.
I’m slowly learning that I have no idea what I’m doing and my thoughts are probably pretty silly being I’m only a few Months into this.
So I thought after trying the R4 plate with a Feather and still not getting a decent shave I was going to leave it alone for a while.
My curiosity got the best of me since just about everyone including the pros on YouTube say this is a great razor. So tonight so I gave it another shot using a completely different setup.
R4 with a Gillette 7 o’clock Super Stainless Green. I also used a better cream from Captains Choice instead of the Vanderhagen soap I have been trying to get rid of. I also used a new brush.
Just saw a video earlier about using the bloom water from the soap and rubbing it into the face as sort of a pre shave lubricant.
I got a very nice lather going tonight and also took my time. Much better lather than I was getting from Vanderhagen
Well I have to say I finally got a very good shave tonight with this razor!
I am very pleased with the results! Very smooth shave!
Completely unexpected.
Now I have been having trouble on my neck but watching some videos and I’m learning that some extra cleanup may be necessary do to hair growing in different directions on the neck.
So I followed the directions I found from some experienced Wet Shavers who have regular YouTube channels on shaving.
I was able to clean up the neck area nicely but I have been getting some bad razor burn. Tonight I made sure that even on the clean up passes I lubricted and lathered well but the neck is extremely irritated.
I followed up with Alum Block, Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera, and a good aftershave balm.
I just washed my face and now just using the Witch Hazel hoping that will be better to sleep with.
I am definitely not blaming the razor itself, blades, soaps, or after shaves.
Could it be the razor is actually too aggressive for me on R4?
It happened with the other soaps and balms I have used and actually first started when I used my ATT razor with the aggressive H plate. That was the worst bloody shave ever and it was just a few weeks ago.
I switched out the plate to R3 for my next shave over the weekend.
I don’t remember ever getting a rash this bad using a few other razors that everyone says are Mild razors. Such as my Merkur 34C HD, Edwin Jagger DE89, Feather AS-D2, and a WCS that’s considered very mild.
I have used all of those with various blades and don’t remember getting a bad rash / burn? On neck area.
Perhaps this blade I used tonight along with most likely many others will deliver a great shave on a lower setting. Perhaps even R2.
So I think my Pre Shave with the better soap and a different blade has turned this into a very good razor. The shave tonight was ridiculously smooth! Definitely one of the closest shaves other than a couple of other times with different razors.
I credit that to the blade, soap, and perhaps improving on my technique a little. I mentioned the other day probably the first best shave I got a little while back was with my Merkur 34C HD and a Big Ben blade.
No irritation, just a very nice smooth shave.
Any thoughts from anyone on what’s causing this rash???
How can I prevent this?
I don’t know for sure but I’m leaning towards the razor being too aggressive. Or my technique needs more work. I took my time and didn’t apply any additional pressure that I know of. I did what everyone has said. Don’t apply pressure, just let the weight of the razor do the work.
So I’m definitely not giving up on this razor. I learned tonight that a ridiculously close smooth shave especially on my cheeks is definitely possible with this razor. I didn’t feel this way a few days ago.
I watched multiple pros if that’s what they are called, hahaha, do multiple passes on neck area with no irritation whatsoever.
Didn’t see any videos today of people concentrating on the neck area with the Rockwell but I’m sure it’s possible to avoid a rash with this.
All the neck shaving videos I saw today they were using again what’s considered very mild razors. Multiple passes on the cleanup and no irritation.
Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

I know there is an urge to tinker. Try to resist it for a bit, so echo some previous thoughts. Take this particular set up that you’ve had success with, stick with it for a little while...while you practice your angles and technique. I would think your technique would develop much faster this way, rather than swapping this, changing that, and so on. Just a thought.

Based on your most recent thoughts I believe it is a combination of two factors:
  1. Your shave preparation. IMO this is the most important step and should not be rushed. You mentioned first getting your face wet and then taking your time building the lather. Extra time spent hydrating the beard will soften it more and make it easier to shave.
  2. I do not have first hand with the Rockwell, but based on what I have had read, the larger numbered plates such as the R4 may turn it into an aggressive razor. I think (new) DE shavers should use mild razors for most of their shaves. It helps to focus one on maintaining proper shave angle. When the angle is not quite right it merely results in a less close shave rather than irritated skin. A shave which is still quite good and encourages one to try again soon.

I know there is an urge to tinker. Try to resist it for a bit, so echo some previous thoughts. Take this particular set up that you’ve had success with, stick with it for a little while...while you practice your angles and technique. I would think your technique would develop much faster this way, rather than swapping this, changing that, and so on. Just a thought.
Thanks I will try. I’m obsessed now with dialing in the perfect shave.
Hahahaha

+1! Too many moving parts here to for me to accurately sort out the issue.

I suggest you pick one setup that works reasonably well and stick with that for awhile.

Things will definitely improve as you learn you learn to get the most out of your kit and as your technique gets established. Then, change one thing at a time. Just my $0.2!

Well I will definitely continue with the soap I used and I am sure I can get another shave or 2 out of the brand new Gillette 7 o’clock green I used.
I am definitely going to dial the razor down to either the R2 or R3 for the next shave. I won’t be putting a blade to my face again until Sunday night.
I have a feeling I that particular blade is just a great fit for the razor and my face. Very smooth and efficient!
I have the Yellow pack as well that was recommended but I’m going to stick with the green for a while.
Thanks

Top Bottom