What's new

Final Thoughts For Now On Rockwell 6S

+1! Too many moving parts here to for me to accurately sort out the issue.

I suggest you pick one setup that works reasonably well and stick with that for awhile.

Things will definitely improve as you learn you learn to get the most out of your kit and as your technique gets established. Then, change one thing at a time. Just my $0.2!
Thanks! That’s definitely a good idea. I was finally able to get a very good shave from a razor I have tried multiple different blades in. Nothing worked until last night using the Gillette 7 o’clock Green for the first time.
Worked absolutely fantastic!
Now I just need to find out why I’m getting so irritated on the neck.

Based on your most recent thoughts I believe it is a combination of two factors:
  1. Your shave preparation. IMO this is the most important step and should not be rushed. You mentioned first getting your face wet and then taking your time building the lather. Extra time spent hydrating the beard will soften it more and make it easier to shave.
  2. I do not have first hand with the Rockwell, but based on what I have had read, the larger numbered plates such as the R4 may turn it into an aggressive razor. I think (new) DE shavers should use mild razors for most of their shaves. It helps to focus one on maintaining proper shave angle. When the angle is not quite right it merely results in a less close shave rather than irritated skin. A shave which is still quite good and encourages one to try again soon.
Yes mild razors seem to work best for me right now. That’s why I think going down the plates from R4 to either the 3 or 2 will work best with that razor.
I could also just continue to use something like my Merkur 34C HD until I get a little more experienced.

Yes mild razors seem to work best for me right now. That’s why I think going down the plates from R4 to either the 3 or 2 will work best with that razor.
I could also just continue to use something like my Merkur 34C HD until I get a little more experienced.
Can't remember if I replied or not on this thread but plate 2 and 4 is really all you (I) need. If I was you, I would use plate 2 with the last blade you liked and worked and stay on that for 30 days. Get a new blade when needed. Once you are good with plate 2 and getting great shaves THEN try plate 4.

Leave the 34hd in the drawer.

Also, due to the weight of the 6s, it's easy to apply pressure when you don't realize. This will be compounded on the neck, hence your issues.

Thanks for the tip!
Yeah I was concerned about using the 3 plate just yet.
I’m going to try the #2 with the Gillette 7 o’clock green that worked fantastic for me.
I was seriously blown away by how great that blade worked for me in that razor. I have had nothing but terrible shaves until last night.

Can't remember if I replied or not on this thread but plate 2 and 4 is really all you (I) need. If I was you, I would use plate 2 with the last blade you liked and worked and stay on that for 30 days. Get a new blade when needed. Once you are good with plate 2 and getting great shaves THEN try plate 4.

Leave the 34hd in the drawer.

Also, due to the weight of the 6s, it's easy to apply pressure when you don't realize. This will be compounded on the neck, hence your issues.
PS. I will also keep in mind the weight of the razor on my neck.
Thanks again

Thanks for the tip!
Yeah I was concerned about using the 3 plate just yet.
I’m going to try the #2 with the Gillette 7 o’clock green that worked fantastic for me.
I was seriously blown away by how great that blade worked for me in that razor. I have had nothing but terrible shaves until last night.
For me, 2 and 4 are great. Plate 3, not great. I don't know why, it just isn't.

Well last night was #4
Funny how a little better face prep and a different blade changes everything.
I will try #2 Sunday

The importance of a good face prep is something that I overlooked for a long time, then I tried Kyle's prep method and the quality of my shaves improved significantly. I don't follow Kyle's prep to the letter, but I do something fairly close to it and I found that if I try to skip this step, which I have done once or twice, my shaves suffered as a consequence.

The importance of a good face prep is something that I overlooked for a long time, then I tried Kyle's prep method and the quality of my shaves improved significantly. I don't follow Kyle's prep to the letter, but I do something fairly close to it and I found that if I try to skip this step, which I have done once or twice, my shaves suffered as a consequence.
Wow thanks!

Never tried Rockwell, but based on what I read most seem to get along with it just fine.

If I may, as others have suggested, leave it on one plate, one blade and use best performing soap/cream you have while paying great attention to your prep. Repeat that for several shaves in a row. Then, change the plate, or the blade, but only change one thing at the time.

Yeah, I know it takes the time, but changing everything all the time is bound to mess up with your head.
Plus, every new razor will require slight angle and pressure adjustment to get the most out of it. I feel it'll be a whole lot easier to properly evaluate it if you don't change too many things at the same time.

Kyle's method quoted above, with all due respect, seems like a massive overkill, but you know how it goes, YMMV, if you have the time to spare, you could give it a try.

Last edited:
Never tried Rockwell, but based on what I read most seem to get along with it just fine.

If I may, as others have suggested, leave it on one plate, one blade and use best performing soap/cream you have while paying great attention to your prep. Repeat that for several shaves in a row. Then, change the plate, or the blade, but only change one thing at the time.

Yeah, I know it takes the time, but changing everything all the time is bound to mess up with your head.
Plus, every new razor will require slight angle and pressure adjustment to get the most out of it. I feel it'll be a whole lot easier to properly evaluate it if you don't change too many things at the same time.

Kyle's method quoted above, with all due respect, seems like a massive overkill, but you know how it goes, YMMV, if you have the time to spare, you could give it a try.
Thanks

Okay so tonight I went back to the Rockwell using plate R2 and the second use of the Gillette 7oclock Green blade.
Great results!!!
Still recovering from my last shave that produced horrible razor burn/irritation but definitely no additional irritation whatsoever. No weepers, cuts, nicks, or blood anywhere.
Just a very good smooth shave!
I can see now that just pairing up the right blade for the razor and face as well as face prep makes a world of difference.
My face is just very sensitive and I now see where either a mild non adjustable or an adjustable on a lower setting will work perfect.
Feeling my face now it’s very good but could definitely be a little better.
I’m sure I have plenty of other blades that will also work well but I think I really need to concentrate more on the technique and angle.
So bottom line is there is nothing wrong with the razor and it’s one I will definitely be holding on to. I will use it in my rotation and continue to experiment.
Next up will be my only second shave yet with my Feather AS-D2 that I have had for a while now. I know that’s another mild razor that should do well on my face. We shall see in a few days.

Baseplate #2 and a Gillette silver blue is my favorite combination for shaving every day. I'll bump it up a number if I skip.

Okay so tonight I went back to the Rockwell using plate R2 and the second use of the Gillette 7oclock Green blade.
Great results!!!
Still recovering from my last shave that produced horrible razor burn/irritation but definitely no additional irritation whatsoever. No weepers, cuts, nicks, or blood anywhere.
Just a very good smooth shave!
I can see now that just pairing up the right blade for the razor and face as well as face prep makes a world of difference.
My face is just very sensitive and I now see where either a mild non adjustable or an adjustable on a lower setting will work perfect.
Feeling my face now it’s very good but could definitely be a little better.
I’m sure I have plenty of other blades that will also work well but I think I really need to concentrate more on the technique and angle.
So bottom line is there is nothing wrong with the razor and it’s one I will definitely be holding on to. I will use it in my rotation and continue to experiment.
Next up will be my only second shave yet with my Feather AS-D2 that I have had for a while now. I know that’s another mild razor that should do well on my face. We shall see in a few days.
Nice to hear that you are getting better results. :001_smile
I encourage you to continue focusing on prep (letting your face enjoy some time with a good wet lather before starting the shave) and shaving with milder razors. If you do I expect that over the next couple of weeks and months you will like it even more. Getting closer shaves with less irritation.

Nice to hear that you are getting better results. :001_smile
I encourage you to continue focusing on prep (letting your face enjoy some time with a good wet lather before starting the shave) and shaving with milder razors. If you do I expect that over the next couple of weeks and months you will like it even more. Getting closer shaves with less irritation.
Yes it went very nicely last night! No irritation on #2 plate and very smooth with the Gillette 7oclock green.
The only places that had anything very minor left were my usual trouble spots.
Can’t see anything but I can feel it ever so slightly. Not a problem!
I am just very happy not to have any irritation and a very close and smooth shave.

Top Bottom