What's new

Figuring Out The Gillette New

Hi Guys,

I probably made a mistake in buying a Gillette New with only about 2 months of DE shaving under my belt. But my first two shaves with it were not pleasant. It is more aggressive than my first razor, and I'm beginning to wonder if I should just cut my losses and leave the New behind and go back to using my Merkur 42c.

I'd appreciate some tips.

Which NEW do you have? Probably a SC or LC, IME these are not aggressive razors at all. Probably you're having issues with blade angle.

Try a shallow angle, more cap touching your face. Start with the cap flat against your skin and lower the handle slowly just until you feel the edge of the blade engaging the whiskers. Try to keep this angle and see if it helps.

Other than that, the same as with all other razors, good prep is vital. Slick lather and beard properly hydrated are two of the most important factors, IMO.

Good luck.

It is the LC, I posted some photos of it here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...r-favorite-Gillette-NEW?p=7119495#post7119495

Thanks Edgar. I'll try a shallower angle. What I really noticed was how much closer it shaved me than the Merkur. My goodness, for me, it was scary close. And perhaps I'm being a wimp but my face was just hurting, no cuts, just hot and sore.

I also noticed that it wasn't as smooth gliding as the Merkur, which may be from the plating that has worn off of the cap, I dunno.

BTW-I've got Gillette Platinum blades coming from West Coast Shaving, oh and some Super Iridiums and they threw in two free packs of Astras. I'm curious how the platinums will work in the New on my face. I'm determined to make this razor work.

It is the LC, I posted some photos of it here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...r-favorite-Gillette-NEW?p=7119495#post7119495

Thanks Edgar. I'll try a shallower angle. What I really noticed was how much closer it shaved me than the Merkur. My goodness, for me, it was scary close. And perhaps I'm being a wimp but my face was just hurting, no cuts, just hot and sore.

I also noticed that it wasn't as smooth gliding as the Merkur, which may be from the plating that has worn off of the cap, I dunno.

BTW-I've got Gillette Platinum blades coming from West Coast Shaving, oh and some Super Iridiums and they threw in two free packs of Astras. I'm curious how the platinums will work in the New on my face. I'm determined to make this razor work.

The LC is a very nice shaver, IMO. Oh and I absolutely love the Gillette Platinum in my NEWs, in all my razors actually, and the Super Iridium are great too, I think you'll love them.

The lack of plating shouldn't influence the glide of the razor, at least not in my experience. I've got a couple of razors that look like yours and they shave just fine.

Btw, the LC is a bit lighter than your Merkur, don't try to compensate that with pressure.

Keep us posted! [emoji106]

Even if you put it aside for a while, it isn't a mistake to have got it. You may put it aside for several months and then pick it up and discover its charms.

When I first tried a New SC, after a year and a half of DE shaving, I was pleased with how the razor put the edge exactly where I needed it to be. I guess finding the sweet spot was pretty intuitive for me. I also picked up an LC, and I like it too. Count me among those who finds the LC more aggressive, but not excessively so.

Trying a shallow angle is a good idea. Then go at it with a light hand and just let the razor do the work.

Mine are plain brass like yours, by the way.

Best of luck!

The LC is a very nice shaver, IMO. Oh and I absolutely love the Gillette Platinum in my NEWs, in all my razors actually, and the Super Iridium are great too, I think you'll love them.

The lack of plating shouldn't influence the glide of the razor, at least not in my experience. I've got a couple of razors that look like yours and they shave just fine.

Btw, the LC is a bit lighter than your Merkur, don't try to compensate that with pressure.

Keep us posted! [emoji106]

I've been applying too much pressure.

Also, I've noticed that some guys re-plate their razors, I'm more interested in polishing the cap for that copper look, maybe use some 0000 steel wool.

Shallow angle.

Ya, my angle has been too steep. I'm hopeful that I'll figure out less pressure and a shallower angle.

The Merkur is much more forgiving, I liken it to training wheels on a bicycle. Hopefully, I'll figure it out soon. I'll try again in the morning.

Even if you put it aside for a while, it isn't a mistake to have got it. You may put it aside for several months and then pick it up and discover its charms.
This.

Persist a while. But don't feel afraid to go back to the Merkur for a while. In a couple months, you can return with better technique.

As said above, put it aside for a while and revisit it in a few months if changing the angle does not help.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
And keep that razor; You have a beautiful example!:thumbup: When you get used to the characteristics it will become a favorite.

I'll keep it. I haven't shaved since Sunday, so I'll go back to the Merkur in the morning.

Thanks for the input, guys, I appreciate it.

I've only been shaving for about two months as well, but it's been exclusively with a NEW LC. I got it from my dad (it was his father's), so I couldn't resist using it as my gateway into DE/wet shaving. My story: my first shaves all sucked, then got better as my technique improved. Granted, improving technique and 'getting to know the razor' could be easily confused. Long story short: spend some more time with it. I'm sure it'll work out. If it really really doesn't, and you're sick of using it, there are plenty of people on this forum who would love to take it off your hands.

Used the NEW again today, this time with a Polsilv Super Iridium and it went okay. I kept the razor handle as perpendicular to my face as I could, that shallow angle worked. I made two passes, both were wtg. I'm happy, that was the third shave with my NEW, I guess the third time is the charm.

Top Bottom