What's new

Fever Blister/ Cold Sores

I don't know the diff. I get one or both. Went years without any now lately every month.

What have you found works to rid them?

Alum block will help delay them breaking out/spreading until you can get your hands on some aciclovir cream. Treat them at the 'tingle' stage.

It's expensive as hell, but if you can get in a Costco/Homedepot you can get it much cheaper (sometimes two tubes for $11 instead of one tube for $19 at a drugstore), but Abreva actually works.

If you get it on as soon as you feel one, one of two things happens:

1) The coldsore doesn't appear.
2) The coldsore appears but falls off in 2-3 days.

I almost guarentee it. There's been maybe one or two times where I thought I got it early enough but I may have been to late, or the abreva was too old. So it was still over a week or so.

It does nothing, as far as I'm concerned, once the cold sore is there.

But seriously, the stuff works better than anything I've ever tried. And I've tried about anything.

Abreva didn't work very well for me, FWIW.

I found Releev to work extremely well. It, too, is not cheap, but you don't need much per outbreak.

You're best shot is to use it when you first notice that damn itch that says "here I come." It has worked well for me if I miss the first itch by up to 12 hours. After that it's a crap shoot as to whether or not, or how well, it mitigates the symptoms.

Last edited:
Not sure what you're referring to...some people use the term "fever blisters" interchangeably. Canker sores are those inside of the mouth, cold sores are those that occur outside of the mouth.

Canker sores can be caused by irritation, stress, poor hygiene, etc...They'll go away within a couple of days by using some Lysterine and taking Lysine supplements.

Cold sores are caused by the herpes simplex virus, usually Type 1. You can get prescription medication that will help reduce occurrences, but there isn't a cure. Check with your doctor, there are new medications that help treatment. They're very contagious so be sure not to kiss anyone if you have one.

Cold sores and fever blisters are the same thing. Caused by the Herpes virus. There is nothing that can kill this virus - once you have it you always have it. There are prescription drugs that can stop the virus from multiplying. When you feel one coming on start taking the pills and it will stop it or make it far less noticable. Ask your doctor about it. I think the drug is called valtrex. I lot of things can bring it on - stress, fever, sun.

Taking 2000mg to 3000mg of Lysine daily should prevent cold sores from coming out.

Apply an ice cube onto the place where the cold sore is for a few minutes. That should kill it. Apply ice immediately whenever you feel the tingling sensation. That should prevent the cold sore from coming out.

I take a few drop of grapefruit seed extract and apply it to a tissue. I gently rub it into the cold sore until it bleeds. I then wash it off with cold water. Be careful not to rub the GSE anyplace else. I have burned my lips with the stuff when it went where it was not supposed to. It might take two-three times before it bleeds. Once it bleeds that should kill it. It becomes a cut and then heals in a few days.

GSE kills viruses, bacteria and parasites. Drinking juice twice a day with 10 drops each time should help also. Gargling with the juice will get rid of sore throats.

It is really interesting for me to read these home remedies for the cold sore. Cold sores, as mentioned by somebody else above, are caused by herpes simplex virus. The virus never leaves your body, it just migrates from the area of the sore back into the nerve root and "hibernates." Then it reactivates, traveling back out the nerve axon to the skin where it causes the sore to reappear.

Stress, sunlight, etc., do, in fact, precipate reactivation of the latent virus. It probably got its layperson name "cold sore" because when suffering from a cold (which is a stress to the immune system), the virus is more likely to reactivate.

Valtrex stops the replication of the virus, so it shortens the duration of the lesion.

I can't vouch for any of the other methods listed in this thread.

Taking 2000mg to 3000mg of Lysine daily should prevent cold sores from coming out.

Apply an ice cube onto the place where the cold sore is for a few minutes. That should kill it. Apply ice immediately whenever you feel the tingling sensation. That should prevent the cold sore from coming out.

I take a few drop of grapefruit seed extract and apply it to a tissue. I gently rub it into the cold sore until it bleeds. I then wash it off with cold water. Be careful not to rub the GSE anyplace else. I have burned my lips with the stuff when it went where it was not supposed to. It might take two-three times before it bleeds. Once it bleeds that should kill it. It becomes a cut and then heals in a few days.

GSE kills viruses, bacteria and parasites. Drinking juice twice a day with 10 drops each time should help also. Gargling with the juice will get rid of sore throats.

Lysine works wonders. I drink protein shakes and the stuff I use contains almost 2,200mg of lysine. I use it along with Abreva and they disappear within a couple days. Lysine appears to be a good way to treat/prevent cold sores.

Top Bottom