What's new

Fermentation

TexLaw

Contributor
I got a wild hair and whipped up a batch of kimchi the other day. I love how I can let it sit and ferment but also snack on it right out of the fermenting jar. It'll probably go into smaller jars tomorrow for better keeping.

20190914_223506.jpg

Pro tip... Don't worry about keeping it longer. Let it get funky. Because the funkier it gets, the better the stew. This could become your favorite winter comfort food:

I got a wild hair and whipped up a batch of kimchi the other day. I love how I can let it sit and ferment but also snack on it right out of the fermenting jar. It'll probably go into smaller jars tomorrow for better keeping.

View attachment 1017124

TexLaw

Contributor
Pro tip... Don't worry about keeping it longer. Let it get funky. Because the funkier it gets, the better the stew. This could become your favorite winter comfort food:

Oh, I do. I like it good and funky.

I'll make kimchi stew/soup one of these days. The problem I have is that there is a place nearby that does it so very well.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Started a couple quarts of sauerkraut. I'm going to let these go longer than I have been, looking at 3 weeks.

Recently started this myself. I have 4 quarts of sauerkraut, one with some red pepper flakes, a quart of garlic-dill carrot sticks, and a quart of sour dill pickles going.

The carrots are just about done, very different but tasty! I'll use more dill and less garlic next time. Might get some ginger and tumeric and try that!

I got some kefir grains off amazon 6-15-2018 and have been making a 64 oz ball jar full of full fat milk to ferment some kefir.

Recently started this myself. I have 4 quarts of sauerkraut, one with some red pepper flakes, a quart of garlic-dill carrot sticks, and a quart of sour dill pickles going.

The carrots are just about done, very different but tasty! I'll use more dill and less garlic next time. Might get some ginger and tumeric and try that!
Can you provide recipe/instructions for this? I want to try to make some also.