What's new

Fermentation

Pro tip... Don't worry about keeping it longer. Let it get funky. Because the funkier it gets, the better the stew. This could become your favorite winter comfort food:

I got a wild hair and whipped up a batch of kimchi the other day. I love how I can let it sit and ferment but also snack on it right out of the fermenting jar. It'll probably go into smaller jars tomorrow for better keeping.

View attachment 1017124

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Pro tip... Don't worry about keeping it longer. Let it get funky. Because the funkier it gets, the better the stew. This could become your favorite winter comfort food:

Oh, I do. I like it good and funky.

I'll make kimchi stew/soup one of these days. The problem I have is that there is a place nearby that does it so very well.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Started a couple quarts of sauerkraut. I'm going to let these go longer than I have been, looking at 3 weeks.

Recently started this myself. I have 4 quarts of sauerkraut, one with some red pepper flakes, a quart of garlic-dill carrot sticks, and a quart of sour dill pickles going.

The carrots are just about done, very different but tasty! I'll use more dill and less garlic next time. Might get some ginger and tumeric and try that!

I got some kefir grains off amazon 6-15-2018 and have been making a 64 oz ball jar full of full fat milk to ferment some kefir.

Recently started this myself. I have 4 quarts of sauerkraut, one with some red pepper flakes, a quart of garlic-dill carrot sticks, and a quart of sour dill pickles going.

The carrots are just about done, very different but tasty! I'll use more dill and less garlic next time. Might get some ginger and tumeric and try that!
Can you provide recipe/instructions for this? I want to try to make some also.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I worked up a batch of kimchi. It's always good to make up some extra paste for future batches or whatever sounds good.

20200319_210511.jpg
20200319_195602.jpg

20#’s of mostly small pickles with a few bigger ones for slicing mixed in for burgers, etc. Onions, garlic and Serrano peppers added to the brine, no dill for me. IMO they are best the first few days after they go in to the brine. 20#’s was a the perfect amount to fill a 5 gal bucket, should last us 6 months or longer.
6EF24E24-3B65-4E39-8494-B2D5A022DF18.jpeg
3E35780C-7442-4A5B-8F52-334F3F0A29D9.jpeg

I worked up a batch of kimchi. It's always good to make up some extra paste for future batches or whatever sounds good.

Looks great! Do you do it the traditional way with adding salted fish or oysters? I'm going to make some this weekend for the first time.

Decent produce is finally starting to show up in the supermarket so I started a big batch of Jalapeno/Serrano/Tomatillo hot sauce. Going to ferment for 4+ weeks and see how it tastes

20200809_074623.jpg

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Looks great! Do you do it the traditional way with adding salted fish or oysters?

Thanks!

I never have made it that way, but I definitely use fish sauce. I'm interested in that (also in using squid), but I just haven't gone through the extra trouble.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I thought I'd drag this one back up since I just packaged up my first batch of sauerkraut on a while.

20220318_101359.jpg

I grated up a couple large carrots and mixed them in with the cabbage. I like the carrots in there, but I'll probably add only about half as much in the future. It's a little too sweet and a little too strong carrot flavor for what I like.

I'm still fermenting my hummus and making yogurt, too. Good stuff!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I grated up a couple large carrots and mixed them in with the cabbage. I like the carrots in there, but I'll probably add only about half as much in the future. It's a little too sweet and a little too strong carrot flavor for what I like.

I see caraway, too. I usually make "Russian" kraut with cabbage, onion, carrot, apple and cranberries. I've used turnips, green peppers and green tomatoes in it too, but find they have a bitter edge after fermentation that I don't quite like.

O.H.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I see caraway, too.

Oh, definitely. I always add caraway. I might add other spices, too (dill, fennel, cumin, dried red chile), but caraway always is in there.

I've read your posts about the Russian sauerkraut. I've been curious. At the very least, I ought to add some onion to my next batch.

You reminded me that I need to ferment some onions. Tasty stuff, there!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Made some peach/mango salsa a couple of months ago. Will let this one go six (6) months. Peaches, mango, habanero peppers, garlic, ginger. Sweet on the front with heat on the backside.

View attachment 1425816

That looks and sounds good!

I have only ever had store bought peach mango & habanero salsa, but I bet it doesn’t get any better than that right there.

The wife makes and ferments her own Kombucha, Jin and Kefir. I need her to make some of that! :)

Home-fermented kraut is sooooo much better than anything I've found in a store!

My most recent batch was red & green cabbage, garlic, serranos, and kombu seaweed. Fan-freaking-tastic!!!

I like using red cabbage because of the lovely color, and the peace of mind that it brings. Red cabbage lets me know when it's acidic by the color :)

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I’ve got two mason jars in the refrigerator right now. One is sort of a makeshift kimchi and the other is straight up sauerkraut. I noticed when I eat sauerkraut my stomach and digestion are a lot better. I try to eat a few bites every day.

Top Bottom