What's new

Fermentation

Do give it a try. It's too easy. I just started another batch a few days ago.

If you want to be more precise, weigh the cabbage (after coring and shredding) and add 2% of it's weight in salt. I mix that with about 2 teaspoons of whole caraway seed per head of cabbage, but that's purely a matter of taste. If I'm using my crock, I pound the cabbage into the crock, a handful or so of cabbage and some of the salt at a time. Otherwise, I just mix it all up in a bowl and "massage" the mix (squeezing it to bust up the cell walls) and put it in the jar I'm using. Usually, I cover it all with one or more pieces of one of the outer leaves, cut or torn to fit the vessel. If your cabbage is fairly fresh, you shouldn't need to add more water. Just go back after a couple of hours and mash everything down. The brine should rise over the level of the cabbage. I do use an airlock with my jar. My crock has a lip that holds water and works as an airlock.

I just started my second batch yesterday after my first ever batch of sauerkraut turned out amazing, added caraway seeds this time per your recommendation. Thanks for the great helpful posts in this thread.

How long do you usually ferment it for? Last time I did 10 days

My friend has a Korean grandmother-in-law who ferments her kimchi on the balcony for an entire year :eek6:

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Started a batch of Tepache this morning...

IMG_2170 copy.jpg

shavefan

I’m not a fan

Tepache is Mexican fermented pineapple drink. Basic ingredients are pineapple rind, sugar, cinnamon stick, water.

I used the rind and core from 2 very ripe pineapples, 16oz piloncillo, 2 cinnamon sticks, a few fresh pequin chilis from the garden. Mixed it all up in a 5 liter jar with about a gallon of spring water. I'll let it ferment for 3 days then check it.

This is my first go at this so i'm very interested to see how it turns out.

Last edited:

shavefan

I’m not a fan
So day five on the tepache...

Still very active, bubbling away like crazy. I decanted a bit then topped the 'mother' back up with water. I'll keep checking everyday

IMG_2175 copy.jpg
IMG_2176 copy.jpg

Kimchi was the first thing that came to mind! I have never made it myself, but the Korean couple who run my laundry do.
That is a staple food for them! Goes with any meal. And you can prepare it as different dishes. Soups, kimchi cakes (like pancakes) and the list goes on.

Hi! I don't check in to B&B often, but came across this thread the other day while looking for info on fruitcake.

I recently started a SCOBY from a store bought bottle of kombucha. Bottled my second batch yesterday with a bit of mango nectar.

Also, happened to have a fresh pineapple sitting on the counter, so I stopped by and picked up another and some piloncillo. Now I'm two days in to a batch of Tepache. Peel and core of two pineapples, two 8oz packages of piloncillo, two cinnamon sticks, two cloves and one chili pequin mixed in a gallon of water. It started slow, but now it's bubbling nicely. I plan to stir it and taste it every day until it tastes right, whatever that is. 3-5 days is my guess.

Today I started my first batch of sauerkraut. We'll see how that goes. Put it in a dark closet, next to the two gallons of JAOM that I have going.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Hi! I don't check in to B&B often, but came across this thread the other day while looking for info on fruitcake.

I recently started a SCOBY from a store bought bottle of kombucha. Bottled my second batch yesterday with a bit of mango nectar.

Also, happened to have a fresh pineapple sitting on the counter, so I stopped by and picked up another and some piloncillo. Now I'm two days in to a batch of Tepache. Peel and core of two pineapples, two 8oz packages of piloncillo, two cinnamon sticks, two cloves and one chili pequin mixed in a gallon of water. It started slow, but now it's bubbling nicely. I plan to stir it and taste it every day until it tastes right, whatever that is. 3-5 days is my guess.

Today I started my first batch of sauerkraut. We'll see how that goes. Put it in a dark closet, next to the two gallons of JAOM that I have going.

Excellent!

Please give updates if you can, your tepache recipe is very similar to mine and i'll be interested on how yours does. Day 6 on mine and it's still very active. I'm thinking maybe I added to much sugar, but i'll let it go further, still tastes to sweet to me.

Last edited:
I’d like to try tepache. I’m surprised I’ve not heard of it, as much Mexican food as I’ve consumed.

I used to make water kefir. The jar was less packed than your tepaches. Using currants or raisins, made for a good indicator of when it finished. They will bob up and down (called busy bees by some, as best I recall) through the process, and when they are depleted and floating at the top, it is finished, though you could always go longer (or shorter), or add more fruit and extend the ferment for a stronger drink. The fruit is removed, and kefir grains are strained/rinsed and reused for the next batch.

So i stirred it and tasted it again today. It had gone from a sugary pineapple taste to having a bit of sourness. I want it to be fairly sweet so I went ahead and bottled a 6 pack. I plan to give them a day to carb and then bottle pasteurize. The rest went in a Mason jar in the fridge. I think it's good. Worth the expirament.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
So i stirred it and tasted it again today. It had gone from a sugary pineapple taste to having a bit of sourness. I want it to be fairly sweet so I went ahead and bottled a 6 pack. I plan to give them a day to carb and then bottle pasteurize. The rest went in a Mason jar in the fridge. I think it's good. Worth the expirament.

Thanks for the feedback.

I decanted mine yesterday after 8 days. Just a touch of sourness but still a bit sweet. I like it and will be making it again. I use pineapples fairly often anyway so this is a good use for the rinds and core that would usually go right into my compost pile.

So I tasted my sauerkraut yesterday at one week. It was crisp and a little sour. I'm sure it needs another week or so.

When it's ready, do I just pull out the weights and put it straight in the refrigerator? Or, do I need to drain off any of the juice?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
There's no need to drain off that brine. It helps keep the sauerkraut. It's also good for other applications (like adding to hummus).

I drink kraut juice often. Great for muscle cramps in my case. You want to keep the shred covered by it, removing some if you like as you deplete your store, and as @TexLaw suggests, in order to prevent or stave off spoilage.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I got a wild hair and whipped up a batch of kimchi the other day. I love how I can let it sit and ferment but also snack on it right out of the fermenting jar. It'll probably go into smaller jars tomorrow for better keeping.

20190914_223506.jpg

Top Bottom