What's new

Featured Aftershave - Pinaud Eau de Quinine...An Excellent A/S

I have it for a hair tonic, but on this suggestion, I'll be using it as an aftershave. Also have Eau de Portugal, which makes a great AS as well.

I have it for a hair tonic, but on this suggestion, I'll be using it as an aftershave. Also have Eau de Portugal, which makes a great AS as well.

I love Pinaud EdP. I wish they made that exact scent in a stronger version. Except for the lack of tenacity, I would put it (and Hoyt's, for that matter) up against any of the EdP/Portugal type scents out there!

After reading this thread I purchased a bottle along with 3 other Clubman scents. The bottle is a cool retro style and since I don't recall seeing this product before I can only surmize that since all of the other plastic variations of Clubman bottles mimick the original glass version, I presume this one does too. Being a retro-old guy myself, I'd prefer glass but that's another story.
Anyway, I tried it as an after shave and it's a home run. Nice clean scent, some might say medicinal, but I'm okay with that. Not over powering but had IMHO a long lasting light fragrance. And much to my surprise, when applied to my face the string was mild to moderate.

It will remain in the rotation.

Mike

I found a glass bottle that looks to be just about full. I know it's been opened since there's a red stain on the label but it doesn't matter. It should arrive today. I'll check it out later and let you know how it compares to the current day plastic bottle version.

Mike

I recieved a bottle of this and EOP about three weeks ago. I love it as a hair tonic, but wouldn't use it as an aftershave since I have plenty of real aftershaves already. I love the smell and it is great in my hair. The scent increase whenever my head sweats. EOP is nice also. So far this is my favorite hair tonic.

I just ordered some of this due to some of the reviews on here, and how much I am really liking my Lilac Vegetal. I am very much into the history/retro aspect of wet shaving and have been hearing about this product. I know it's not the exact same formula as what John Wayne reportedly used, but close enough. I will be using it as an aftershave, since I have no idea what a hair tonic is. I will try to report how I like it when it arrives.

Interesting topic. Can Eau De Portugal be used as an aftershave too?
Absolutely! It has a very fleeting, light orange peel scent that smells very much like an actual orange peel, and performs quite well. It has a nice light alcohol sting and enough glycerin to sooth the face after a shave.

I had the opposite reaction to EdQ - it was not my cuppa at all. I used it as a hair tonic for a while and it smelled just like cherry cough syrup to me. I tried it once as an A/S, but washed it off fairly immediately and splashed on some AV.

I use Eau de Quinine as a hair tonic, the light amount of oil is just enough to keep my hair from getting frizzy. The oil gives me that little bit of hold and keeps my hair feeling healthy. I've used it as an aftershave but I don't like the large amount of alcohol. I prefer Eau de Portugal's scent. You do get a lot of product for $10.

For those wondering, eugenol is the cause for the tingle. It was added to kill the stuff that grows/feeds on dander and sooth (numb) itchy irritated skin down at the base of the hair, which was the original claim for the quinine. Eugenol likely was not a common ingredient until the quinine was removed.

The reason quinine is not an ingredient now is that by the turn of the last century druggists suspected that quinine did not do much that it was claimed to do. It is a genuine malaria tonic, but its reputation had been inflated by marketers to that of a miracle cure-all and was added to just about everything. The 1906 Pure Food Act placed a lot of pressure to drop ingredients that made false claims. Many products had established markets for products with quinine in the name and were allowed to keep the names, even after the ingredient was removed.

Chemists' and druggists' trade publications from the late 1800s through to the 1930s constantly contained articles discussing the dilemma of the druggist faced when mixing products about whether ingredients should be dropped and what substances should be substituted, whether the name should be changed, and whether you fulfill a customers order when they demand the original formula ("It's QUININE WATER! I want the damn quinine in it!!!" lol). Quinine specifically was featured in many of these writings. The only consensus that seems to have been reached is that adding a cigar counter is a good revenue stream, lol.

Angostura and Old Fashion bitters were other recipes that lost not only the quinine (cinchona) but the angostura as well.You still have to read the label carefully to see if your "tonic" really has any quinine in it.

Today, thankfully, we live in times when you can easily buy bitters and tonic that have quinine or angostura, and cinchona is easily purchased on the internet.

If anyone is curious, there should be enough alcohol content in eau de quinine to make a tincture from powdered cochina. Once filtered you could experience the double sensation of the eugenol and the real quinine.

Edit: Also wanted to comment on why this has a flame warning and after shave does not.

This was designed to be doused in relatively large quantities on your hair, which would retain it. Basically your head would be flammable for a short while after using it, which is not really a danger with after shave.

There were two common things that could be a problem. The practice of barbers "singeing" after a haircut, and people lighting a cigarette after freshening up. Neither one a desirable event when your head is soaked with alcohol.

Last edited:
I wouldn't post here, but Rusted Rocket revived this thread. I stumbled across the Pinaud EdQ here and now have some inbound from a fellow member. Can't wait to give it a try.

It's been a hundred years, for crying out loud... I think they could pull off the name change at this point! Coca-Cola scent? Vanilla. This is rose and vanilla, though, rather than citrus.

Top Bottom