What's new

Feather Yellow Platinum Longevity

First time using these blades. Just finished my 6th shave, using a Rocca R96 (actually...I put the blade into the R95 for this last one). Three passes each time. Awesome shave!

I have light to medium density hair growth. No pull or razor burn at all after this 6th go round.

I've read to expect 7-10 shaves. Anyone have any thoughts on this? If this last shave was any indicator; I'd give a "Yea" moving toward the higher number.

(I thought I was happier with the Astra after the first try with the Feather. Got some nicks. Have since changed my mind. This is a great blade!)

You are about to get hit with people telling you to leave it in for 40 shaves! :001_unsur

If it used daily, why not bin it after 7 and not push your luck?

You are about to get hit with people telling you to leave it in for 40 shaves! :001_unsur

If it used daily, why not bin it after 7 and not push your luck?
40 is a great number on a running back’s football jersey, lol.

I was born 7lbs 7oz.
Mickey Mantle fan as a kid
Roll the dice and what do you ask for?

Seven sounds good…it’s actually what I’ve been thinking.

🤜🤛

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
First time using these blades. Just finished my 6th shave, using a Rocca R96 (actually...I put the blade into the R95 for this last one). Three passes each time. Awesome shave!

I have light to medium density hair growth. No pull or razor burn at all after this 6th go round.

I've read to expect 7-10 shaves. Anyone have any thoughts on this? If this last shave was any indicator; I'd give a "Yea" moving toward the higher number.

(I thought I was happier with the Astra after the first try with the Feather. Got some nicks. Have since changed my mind. This is a great blade!)

I agree with Machintosh BR, I only get 3 shaves out of a Feather blade and then its done. Truth is, everybody is going to get a different number of shaves from a Feather blade, because it greatly depends on the hair type. I have course thick whiskers, so I get 3 shaves.

Feather blades are known for being the sharpest in the land, but with poor edge retention, the sharpness does not last long. And there is also science to back this up as well, when were talking about edge retention type of stuff.

I just got done ordering a 100 pack of Bic Platinum blades, I've been told they are the best combination of sharpeness and better edge retention, which equals longer lasting.

I agree with Machintosh BR, I only get 3 shaves out of a Feather blade and then its done. Truth is, everybody is going to get a different number of shaves from a Feather blade, because it greatly depends on the hair type. I have course thick whiskers, so I get 3 shaves.

Feather blades are known for being the sharpest in the land, but with poor edge retention, the sharpness does not last long. And there is also science to back this up as well, when were talking about edge retention type of stuff.

I just got done ordering a 100 pack of Bic Platinum blades, I've been told they are the best combination of sharpeness and better edge retention, which equals longer lasting.
Ah ha! You thought you could hide from me by posting on somebody else's thread. :a13:

Excellent choice with the Bics, if you get good ones that is. :thumbup1:

Posted on this back in January per the link below. See posts # 63 & 66 on the thread. The way a Feather blade is honed, to make it the sharpest out there, also likely leads to it dulling rapidly due to the micro chipping that is what actually wears down a razor blade. Note that nowhere does YMMV apply more than in blade longevity due to differences in preference, beard characteristics and technique.

What is the hype about Feather blades? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/what-is-the-hype-about-feather-blades.615863/page-4#post-11604355

P.S. Filudo, I've found that it's possible to anticipate when a blade is close to the point where weepers will occur and try to toss before that happens. Basically if I have two shaves in a row where I notice more roughness/tugging I'll toss. Reason for two shaves is sometimes a single shave may be rough for reasons that have nothing to do with the blade. Are you able to notice the change in shave quality on your 3rd or 4th Feather shave?

I use all my blades for 3 shaves only, including Feathers.

I always ask myself why would someone use a blade for 40-50-100 shaves when their cost is so small? Not criticizing anyone, just wondering...

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I use all my blades for 3 shaves only, including Feathers.

I always ask myself why would someone use a blade for 40-50-100 shaves when their cost is so small? Not criticizing anyone, just wondering...

For some of us, there is simply no reason to dispose of a well performing blade.

My last shave was the 22nd shave on a German Wilkinson Sword, and it was great. No tugging or irritation, and a very close and comfortable finish. A well used blade is unforgiving of sloppy technique, and needs a very wet and slick lather, but with those two needs met, can return some wonderfully smooth shaves.

Many of the later shaves can actually be even nicer than those from a fresh, keen edged blade. There can also be a secondary feeling of satisfaction from getting such great shaves from a high mileage blade.

I use Feathers for four after experimenting with more. Other blades for five to eight. But, Feathers work best in my number one razor.

Top Bottom