What's new

Feather vs Kai

When I have a 3+ day old beard, I reach for a blade that is sharper than my usual ones.

For awhile I thought Feathers were the sharpest blade in town. But then I tried Kai, and they seemed as sharp as Feathers and a bit smoother in an EJ89.

Lately, I have been using both in a Rockwell 6C, and I don't feel much difference in either sharpness or smoothness. Both are priced nearly the same. I only use them for about 4 shaves then toss, so I can't say which lasts longer. I don't use either that often, but when I do use them, I love the results, dfs to bbs.

Does anyone prefer one over the other?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
When I have a 3+ day old beard, I reach for a blade that is sharper than my usual ones.

For awhile I thought Feathers were the sharpest blade in town. But then I tried Kai, and they seemed as sharp as Feathers and a bit smoother in an EJ89.

Lately, I have been using both in a Rockwell 6C, and I don't feel much difference in either sharpness or smoothness. Both are priced nearly the same. I only use them for about 4 shaves then toss, so I can't say which lasts longer. I don't use either that often, but when I do use them, I love the results, dfs to bbs.

Does anyone prefer one over the other?

I prefer Kai blades for my 1930s-1940s-1950s Gillette Techs. :)

In my artist club style razors I think Feather Pro blades are the sharpest but I find that the Schick Proline blades feel smoother.

My son prefers Kai I think they are smoother. They are ever so slightly wider than other blades see Tech Cone wars thread.

I only get 3-4 shaves out of a Feather, with maybe an occasional 5th, but they're shot by then. They're also a bit 'edgier' on the first shave, until the edge smooths out. (Shave 2 & 3 are the high-life of a Feather.

The KAI, while not quite as sharp, is smoother (less 'edgy'), or less nick prone on the first shave, and holds it's sharpness MUCH longer. I've easily gotten 13-15 shaves out of a KAI in my Rockwell, Gillette Adjustable, or MingShi (Futur clone), and they were all quality shaves, nice smooth and close.

KAI for the win!

Thank you for all the responses. While razors and blades are a ymmv, in this sampling we had the following opinions:
Most commented that they were both comparably sharp, but that Kai were smoother than Feathers.

If I counted correctly it looks like it was the following:

11 Total Responses (including mine)
6 prefer Kai
2 prefer Feather
2 are undecided
1 prefer Schick Proline

I use feather now and then, and have tried some Kai blades a couple of years ago. Today I found one single, last blade of Kai and just had to load it in the Rockwell.
Must say it is a nice blade, definitely prefer it to Feather.

Edit: Too bad they are so ridiculously expensive, 3-4 times of other good/great blades.

Actually pulled the trigger and ordered some Kai. Found out that it's actually cheeper per blade to buy a bunch of samplers than to order 100...
8 samplers on the way now, will last me a while considering that they have a great longevity.

Also me I prefer Kai smoother blades than feather
I use them for 4-5 beard and works great!
I recommend !

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

I haven’t tested out the Kais enough yet, but after 4 shaves with my first Kai, I didn’t find it to be smoother or even close to as sharp as a feather in my timeless 68.

Top Bottom