What's new

Feather Travel vs. Gillette Tech

depends on the tech... however, I found it more aggressive.

If you want to base it on the blade gap, the feather portable has a 31 thousandths of an inch (.79 mm) gap and the tech has a 22 thousandths of an inch (.56 mm) gap.

Yes, some have a curved bottom plate, some have a flat bottom plate.

Of course, there were different handles too...There is a thin handled model and a fat handled model. There are ones that are lighter because they are made of aluminum and not brass and have a different balance.

I bought a Feather Portable just to get the longer handle to use with my Travel Tech.

I've used the Feather with a Derby and a Dorco ST-301, and got an OK shave. It is more aggressive than a Tech, some say too much so.

Since then I've acquired a nice travel kit with a folding mirror, a "Genuine English Cowhide" case, and an English Tech in it with brass top plate, aluminium base plate and handle. It has accompanied me on two trips so far.

Yes, some have a curved bottom plate, some have a flat bottom plate.

Of course, there were different handles too...There is a thin handled model and a fat handled model. There are ones that are lighter because they are made of aluminum and not brass and have a different balance.

I'm well aware of the handles, but this is the first reference I've seen to different heads... I'll have to compare the two techs I have at home.

I have a Feather portable on the way, so I'm interested in its properties as well. So to maybe put the question differently, how aggressive is the Feather, let's say on a scale of 1 to 5 (mild to aggressive) ? For me the comparison would be to a Merkur 38C. The best blade for me (so far) in the 38C is the Feather; I'm "assuming" that the Feather portable is designed to work well with Feather blades.

There are 3 diferent base plates and 2 diferent head designs.

First the head designs:

The original appears to closely match the design of the Gillette New with 4 dimples at each corner to align the blade. It also has straight cut ends.

The latter edition was similar, but the dimples became longer and the ends were beveled.

The baseplate designs:

The original has triangular slots cut into it. It is flat in the center. It does not have a place for the 4 dimples to nest. It will not accept the later style head. With the original style head, it is the most aggressive at .027" of blade exposure.

The revised head has straight slots and is curved in the center. I has 4 dents for the dimples to rest. It will not accept the later style head. It is milder with a blade exposure of .022".

The final design is similar to the above and has the 4 notches to receive the latest style head. I have not gotten a hold of one of these to check its blade gap.

Top Bottom