What's new

Feather Popular?

Hi guys. I have a simple question. I just noticed the Feather Popular razor on amazon.

Who here uses one and what is the shave like... I presume it's a mild razor and probably works well with Feather blades.

I may order some Feathers for the hell of it, and maybe this inexpensive razor will be the perfect match for them.

Any and all replies are welcomed!!

I had planned on starting with a Feather Popular, but found an older Feather No. 1.
With a Feather blade, I get a 98% BBS shave with one pass. The 2% is almost impossible. Divot in my neck where a tumor was removed.
Very efficient set up. I'll probably get a popular for giggles. For less than 15.00 why not? I'm surprised it's not recommended more often to beginners, as it is also very forgiving. From the research I did, it's virtually the same shave as you'd get from an AS-D2, a much more expensive razor. There does seem to be a great synergy between Feather razors and blades.
I say go for it!

Mark

I presume it's a mild razor and probably works well with Feather blades.

Bingo.

It is quite mild or, if you prefer, comfortable, but still efficient, especially with Feather blades. I'm personally not a big fan of Feather blades in general, but they do work, seemingly perfectly, in the Popular. The Popular is IMO a sleeper and a great bargain. Given the fairly inexpensive build and extensive use of plastic, you won't mistake it for a vintage Aristocrat or anything. But the Japanese precision and workmanship is evident, placing it several cuts above the Pakistan/India/China equivalents in build quality. Due to its mildness, the effective angle is narrow, but once you get it dialed in it is a very good shaver. I use it as my travel razor, and I break it out now and then at home as well. It does work well with other "sharp" blades (aren't they all?), but the Feather blade is really the ticket in the Popular.

It's actually not a bad razor at all considering its price and construction material, and you can't knock the price either. As all have said, light weight and on the milder side, but still capable of getting the job done. To me it would make a great travel DE (and I've used it for that) because if it were lost or broken you would be out nothing compared to costlier razors.

It's an excellent razor, particularly for the price. It needs a sharp blade and imo provides an almost identical shave to the AS-D2 which is over ten times the price. Quite sturdy too considering a fair bit of it is plastic. Mild, smooth and very efficient. Perfect for a beginner to DE shaving, although I'm sure that plenty of experienced shavers use it regularly.

It sounds like a nice little razor guys.
I do like mild razors, I use my '64 Tech for the majority of my shaves and get good
shaves with it no matter what blade I use.

The Popular seems like its right up my alley...... I may buy one. Thanks again!!

I have one, and it is one of my favorite DEs. It has worked well with GSBs and Astra SPs. I haven't tried it with Wilkinson Swords or Voskhods.

I really don't care for Feather blades. They are rough and always tear me up. I do have some of them, so I may try them again in the Popular.

I have to raise a dissenting voice. I got one a while back, thinking it'd make a decent travel razor, but the plastic is flimsy enough that the "safety bars" bow when everything is tightened down, which makes (for me) a really jagged and uncomfortable shave. The price ain't bad, but for the money you can get a used ball end Tech that's comfortable, mild-ish, and that won't turn your face into chowder.

I had my daughter bring one back from Japan for me recently and only got round to trying it a week ago. I have to say I've been really impressed with it. I used Feather blades and they do seem a very good combination. I'd previously tried Feather blades in my Schick Krona, which has a reputation for being mild, but it was too ferocious on my second pass.

I find the Popular light and easy to move precisely. I set my angle starting with the cap touching my face and then rotate the blade so that it just starts to make contact with my skin, so with the handle a long way out from my face. It cuts efficiently and I barely notice the blade cutting at all. I make two passes, first with the grain and the second across with a little buffing against the grain, to finish off. After rinsing with cold water I run my alum bar over my face and get very little tingling feedback. Nicks and weepers were very rare for the first four days blade use. I tried to get the fifth day out of my first Feather blade but it retaliated and I shan't try that again!

I've really enjoyed using the Popular (in place of my excellent Fatip Piccolo). I have looked up AS-D2 prices and am weighing up whether to buy one or just stock up with Feather DE blades and promote the Popular to first choice razor – it's that good!

I have to raise a dissenting voice. I got one a while back, thinking it'd make a decent travel razor, but the plastic is flimsy enough that the "safety bars" bow when everything is tightened down, which makes (for me) a really jagged and uncomfortable shave. The price ain't bad, but for the money you can get a used ball end Tech that's comfortable, mild-ish, and that won't turn your face into chowder.

Me too. If it bowed the other way they might be onto something

Oh good grief, I hadn't noticed that on my Feather Popular. I've had two shaves with it. The first was very good but the second was not so good. Do any long term Popular devotees have an answer to this seeming glaring design flaw? Should you use the minimum pressure required to tighten down the doors on the blade so that the safety bars don't bow or would that simply create another problem. Any solutions or will my Popular be going into permanent retirement?

I haven't noticed this 'design flaw'. Closing the butterfly up after replacing a blade it's pretty obvious when the mechanism is fully closed and tight. I tried turning the barrel a bit further to see if I could get the safety bars to 'bow' but didn't manage it and I wasn't prepared to use unreasonable force. So in answer to your question, yes, use minimum pressure to close the doors and keep the blade stable in the head.

Mine has a little bit of a bow but that has no effect whatsoever on the shave. I must conclude that perhaps Feather made some Popular s that were too flexible. I would try another one if I were you because there are just too many who like me don't have an issue like what you describe.
Mine will tighten down hard and the Safety bars look slightly bowed but the shave is excellent. The blade is held rigid and the doors are lazer straight so the blade has nowhere to move to and it doesn't chatter. There is no great big blade gap opened up by mine being tightened. So I really am at a loss to understand how this is causing the issue you describe?
I would love to see a picture of what you describe just to get the visual into my sometimes dull mind.

But I do recognize that in the world of DE shaving YMMV means everything!:001_smile

I've had my Popular for awhile now, and I've used it fairly frequently. I've never had any issues with blade alignment or with bowed safety bars.

It is possible that you have a dud, or maybe you are stronger than you think, and you Kung-Fu Gripped the poor thing into the bow.

Top Bottom