What's new

Feather DE Blades Revisited

Well I can get either one since I am a new wetshaver, but I don't really care about getting whatever is easier for me to start out with, unless there is a night and day differnce between the two.

I would suggest getting the sampler pack from LetterK. This way you can try the 5 most popular blades. As far as Derby vs. Feather...the Derbys are more forgiving. I would try them until you have your technique down.

bigDee said:
Someone tell me why would they chose the derby over the feather, if the feather is sharper? Is the only reason to chose derby is if your skin can't handle it?

some blades work better for some than others. meaning, a feather might be great for me and derby lousy for me. whereas for you, a derby might be great and a feather lousy. its all personal preference, skin type i guess.

New wetshavers who have started out with feathers tend to have more nicks and cuts until they refine their technique. Order at your own peril. :cool:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Gaelicboy said:
"I've seen grown men pull their own heads off rather than see Doug" :w00t:

One of the best MP sketches (along with Spanish inquisition and Mr. Neutron).

and to keep it on topic, I, too, use nothing but Feathers. The only blade I haven't tried is the Derby, but I don't know if it could be good enough for me to switch.

O.K.

Well one day I was at home threatening the kids when I looks out through the hole in the wall and sees this tank pull up and out gets one of Dinsdale's boys, so he comes in nice and friendly and says Dinsdale wants to have a word with me, so he chains me to the back of the tank and takes me for a scrape round to Dinsdale's place and Dinsdale's there in the conversation pit with Doug and Charles Paisley, the baby crusher, and two film producers and a man they called 'Kierkegaard', who just sat there biting the heads off whippets and Dinsdale says 'I hear you've been a naughty boy Clement' and he splits me nostrils open and saws me leg off and pulls me liver out and I tell him my name's not Clement and then... he loses his temper and nails me head to the floor.

I can't slip anything past you guys.:001_rolle

Evening Andrew. This is good post topic for it drives home a point I've long held. Blade choice is just as individual as scent/lathering properties ever thought of being. Some fellows beard folicles just respond better to certain types of blades. For me, the ne plus ultra is Feather. The close second is Derby. A true marriage of top shelf cutting ability mated with good value. The biggest dissapointment was the Swede Gillttes. They felt smooth on the first shave and just got unbearable throughout the week. I only stretched one blade to the five day mark. The others were discarded after the third shave or the first with the grain pass on the fourth shave and then I finished a normal seven day shave cycle. I literally could not shave with them comfortably after three full, four pass shaves. Absolute murder on my face. I will not be revisiting the Swedes.

I think all this points out that certain beard types like certain eges for cutting them. I have a dense beard with coarse and semi coarse hairs. My Schick DE's work pretty well but the Feathers just reach a level that is unbelievable for me. From the first shave, I knew they were "it". The Derby's are a good backup and I'd like to try the Israeli Personna's too. I also think that it's appropriate to change up the blades every so often in our routines. At least it is for me.

Regards, Todd

Ok...I am on day 4 with a Feather and while the shaves have been amazing it seems my face is a bit irritated and sore. I am using a Merkur HD right now and maybe the blades are a little agressive for use on a daily basis. I definitely will keep them around for special occasions, or see how they work in my next razor. Now that I have been getting outstanding shaves for the last 3 weeks or so I am going to get a new razor...do I need it? Nope...but the curiosity is killing me. Will it be a Vision...Futur...Progress??? I know that nobody is going to be able to tell me which will be best since everybody has their favorites. I have already sent in my order form for Injector and blades so we will give that a shot as well. I will probably also add a slant to my order...if not for everyday shaves then for use with the Feathers as clean up. The feathers do the best job so far with the problem areas on my neck...those feathers sure do a great job of getting those hairs.

I always find it interesting when people go on and on about their favorite blades, but never mention the razor that blade is going into.

We have a lot of different shaving hardware in use in this group, ranging from Merkur HDs, Herkur Slant Bars, Gillette SuperSpeeds, Gillette Adjustables (both FatBots and Slims), and those are just the top 5 or so, by my reconning.

I don't think anyone here will disagree with me when I state that each of these razors hold their blades differently, with different "angles of agression" and different gaps between the safety bar and the blade edge itself.

My point is, it seems obvious to me that the different gaps and angles will make each blade's shaving characteristics different.

I'm currently going through my first blade sampler pack after two pleasant weeks of US Personnas in my Gillette Slim Adjustable. When I review these blades, I'll be sure to mention the razor they're in for the benefit of others.

Thoughts on the razor's effects on the blades?

-Warr

Good point, Warr.

I usually don't mention the specific razor because I prefer Derby Extra blades in every razor that I own. The only real difference that I find from razor to razor is in the number of quality shaves that this blade can provide before wearing out.

My results:
  • Gillette Fatboy - 4-5 Shaves
  • Gillette Aristocrat - 5-7 Shaves
  • Merkur HD - 5-7 Shaves
  • Merkur Slant Bar - 4-6 Shaves

update: I ordered 100 feather blades for that cheap deal and they work great for me. I'll have to use em more to make sure but so far I don't see how anything could be better. I wouldn't want anything duller than this.

Top Bottom