What's new

feather blades

Sorry Folk's,just one more bit of advice, I've also ordered some feather blades should I give these a miss for now or just go for it ???

I got some in a sampler pack. They're known to be the sharpest, and because I'm still nailing down my technique, they're going to be the last ones I try. I'm so very tempted to try them out though.

If your technique is good, go for it.

Don't fear the Feather. They get a lot of hype for nothing, IMO. If you like a blade that dulls after 2 shaves, costs double the price of anything out there and leaves you feeling as if you just stripped all the skin off to the bone, then Feathers are for you.

Cheer's dken76,for the super fast reply,just starting out though so I am thinking I've bought a safety razor why the hell did I order feathers,I suppose I'll give it a go and see what happens if you don't see anymore posts from me you'll know it didn't go well!!

Keep us posted, kev. I've read threads how Feather's are an excellent noobie blade for the simple fact it forces you to use literally no pressure at all (or you will slice and dice yourself up the first few swipes).

However, you need to consider if you're just starting DE shaving for the first time, using a softer blade will definitely lessen the blow as you nail your technique down.

If you have the patience and the confidence, why not? Just remember, no pressure (I'm still learning about pressure and I haven't even tried the Feathers). Good luck and welcome to B&B!

Thanks
Rick,for the subtle warning,what would you recommend for a newbie
cheers Kev.

Red Pack Personnas or Crystals (these are really pretty much the same blade) are a good choice for a starter DE blade. The Feather DE blades are pretty good, but as Rick Boone pointed out, they can be a little rough if not used very gently.
I don't care for them, as they seem to loose their edge too quickly for a premium priced blade.
OTOH, I really like the Feather Artist Club straight razor system. Thet are super smooth, very sharp and hold their edge well.
Enjoy your shaves, that's the key.
Mike

I can't use Feahters at all. They leave my face raw and bloody every time. I use nothing but Personna Reds and at just $.10 a blade I use a new one each time I shave, so I don't care how long they last.

A Feather was the second blade I tried from my sampler. Was careful, went slowly, and had a nice shave. First blade I tried was a Derby; Feather was sharper and smoother. Then tried 7 O'Clock Yellows; again almost as sharp and smoother than the Feather. Now trying Iridiums; almost as sharp if not as sharp as the Feather and smoother still. Do try the Feather, but you may find others are a bit better.

I enjoyed my first shave with Feathers - until I got in the shower. Then it felt like my face was on fire. I'm putting them aside again and am going to try Crystals next. Already used Derby's and Personna's with good results. I'll come back to the Feathers in a month or two.

I say go for it. I'm on my very first Feather in a Merkur HD and have no problems. Don't know whether this is down to the razor (10/10) or the fact that I took things nice and easy. Considering the Feather is supposed to be the sharpest blade, I didn't get the 'wow' factor I was expecting! Maybe subsequent shaves will be consistently good. Time will tell. Almost double the price of the Wilkinson's I used previously, though...

I don't like the feather in any other razor than my black head goodfella. So theres some 300 feathers in a bag waiting for their turn to take their place in the razor. A mild razor + Feather is like a luxury cruise on a quiet windless sea...

In my opinion, there´s no need to get feather blades. I thing, allround-blades like Red Personna are the best way to go with DE-razors.

I'm with you all the way! Nice, close, comfortable shave every time with no nicks or irritation and they're some of the most inexpensive blades you can buy. To me that describes the best blade on the market!

If you're just starting out, I would suggest not trying to narrow your blade selection to just one. In my opinion, there are many blades that will shave you well. If I was starting over again, I would use 3-4 different blades in rotation to get the feel for the differences while your observations are still fresh. Also, you may have seen the comments about keeping a log/diary on your shaves - and that's a great idea. In fairly short order your technique will improve, your lather will improve, and your prep and finish routines will become better and more efficient. All of these things can affect the evaluation of your blades.

Top Bottom