What's new

Feather Artist Club Blades - Help.

BTW, I get 3 irritation free shaves from each ac blades :)
I could shave more with the same blade but with the cost of a little irritation and it's not worth in my mind, the blades are affordable.

You will know how many times you can get good shaves from each blade, it is very individual.

BTW, I get 3 irritation free shaves from each ac blades :)
I could shave more with the same blade but with the cost of a little irritation and it's not worth in my mind, the blades are affordable.

You will know how many times you can get good shaves from each blade, it is very individual.
I also get 3 shaves from a Feather Pro. That's 3.5 passes (4 passes below the jawline). If I'm not shaving my chin, i.e. wearing a goatee I can probably get double that or more.

I have only an Ac clone, which is shaped after Kai Kasho (as I have read). If I will buy an Ac shavette it will be either Kai Captain or Feather Sr.

I have other shavettes, so I am OK for the moment.
Sounds good, let us know what you decide to purchase, the SR is a lovely looking piece of kit. I see the Feather DX retails for around $200, but on eBay they are available for $120...... I'm tempted, descriptions say they are new but I'm a bit wary of it incase its a fake or damaged. There are multiple sellers with 98%+ positive reviews but still I'm hesitant, what do you think?

The lip design and blade exposure is the most important difference between the models. Try using the SS with the pro super blade. This blade is wider, which enables you to use a more shallow angle. The SR gives you something in between the SS and the DX.

I actually think that the SS is not the most beginner friendly choice. It forces you to use a more open shaving angle. As a straight razor shaver a shallow angle is quite important, especially going against the grain.

This is probably a different discussion, but a true straight razor is much easier to use. They also tug less then these artist club blades (at least mine does).
I'll be sure to give the Super's a go and I'll report back. I've been looking at the DX, it's certainly a nice bit of kit! That's interesting to hear you feel the SS isn't beginner friendly, I regret buying now, should have gone for the SR or DX lol. Yes, I guess the more angle you use means a higher risk of increased drag or tugging.
I like the idea of a straight razor but I'm not into all the stropping/ honing tbh, maybe that will change with time but for now I'd rather stick to the AC razors. I forgot to mention that my AC is the Kamisori style.

Reactions: JPO
I hear you! I have very hard whiskers.

Had the same problem and after changing to AC Razors it got less. I am afraid you are right! SS is a very good razor but for hard thick whiskers I would not recommend it. I shave daily with dx loaded with professional blade and get the most irritation free shaves up to now. Why? because less passes less irritation and less passes will give you the more efficient razors!

You are on the correct path :thumbup: Continue with pro guard and then move to super or professional ( I mentioned the difference between them in previous post) and see if results are more satisfying; Then consider purchasing SR or DX. (Sometimes here in forum offered with reasonable price).
Welcome to the hard whisker club haha. Interesting to hear DE blades weren't entirely agreeing with your skin either. You are really tempting me to purchase a DX kamisori now lol.. where did you purchase yours from? I've seen Maggard stock them for $200, Shave Nation $229 and eBay have them supposedly new for $130 but I'm not sure I'd trust the vendors there.
Regarding efficiency, you say the DX give a better shave so may I assume it is more efficient/ less forgiving than the SS? Cause when it comes to DE shaving I find more efficient/ aggressive razors like my Rex Ambassador or Blackland Blackbird also give me less irritation than say a milder Merkur 34c which requires a lot of blade buffing to achieve the same smooth finish.

Cool, thank you for your advice and feedback I really appreciate it 😃. I'll keep my eyes out for one on here, if you see one come up, either a DX or SR, maybe you could drop me a message too?

What is your technique for shaving your goatee area?
Same as everywhere else? It's just that my whiskers are both denser and coarser there, so it impacts blade longevity. When I first was trying out an AC type shavette, I was wearing a goatee, and I don't recall exactly how many shaves I got, was trying a couple different blades, but I think it was more than six. I was kind of shocked when I came back to the shavette a few months later after shaving off the goatee and found that three shaves was a hard limit.

Same as everywhere else? It's just that my whiskers are both denser and coarser there, so it impacts blade longevity. When I first was trying out an AC type shavette, I was wearing a goatee, and I don't recall exactly how many shaves I got, was trying a couple different blades, but I think it was more than six. I was kind of shocked when I came back to the shavette a few months later after shaving off the goatee and found that three shaves was a hard limit.
Yes, the goatee area always seems to be the thickest part to whack through, it'll certainly eat through blade longevity faster thats for sure.

Welcome to the hard whisker club haha. Interesting to hear DE blades weren't entirely agreeing with your skin either. You are really tempting me to purchase a DX kamisori now lol.. where did you purchase yours from? I've seen Maggard stock them for $200, Shave Nation $229 and eBay have them supposedly new for $130 but I'm not sure I'd trust the vendors there.
Regarding efficiency, you say the DX give a better shave so may I assume it is more efficient/ less forgiving than the SS? Cause when it comes to DE shaving I find more efficient/ aggressive razors like my Rex Ambassador or Blackland Blackbird also give me less irritation than say a milder Merkur 34c which requires a lot of blade buffing to achieve the same smooth finish.

Cool, thank you for your advice and feedback I really appreciate it 😃. I'll keep my eyes out for one on here, if you see one come up, either a DX or SR, maybe you could drop me a message too?
I bought mine for 190€ on shaving.ie, don't know if they ship to the US.
Yes DX is more efficient than SS.

I'm not that often here on forum, but if I see something will definitely send you a message.

I bought mine for 190€ on shaving.ie, don't know if they ship to the US.
Yes DX is more efficient than SS.

I'm not that often here on forum, but if I see something will definitely send you a message.
I’m in Switzerland so shipping shouldn’t be an issue?

Thanks, I appreciate it! I also posted a WTB in the BST page.

The USD has strengthened a lot against most currencies over the past few months and I think the Japanese Yen has been generally been falling a little against other currencies such as the EUR or GBP, which has made Japanese goods even cheaper to buy recently. The cheapest I have seen in many years. So I think the DX price you saw was legitimate and cheaper than seen in past years. This does cause pain for those respected retailers who already have the item stocked.

While I have not used the SR, both the DX and SR are fairly close in their blade profiles. There has been speculation in other threads as to why the DX is so much more expensive that the SS & SR. Some speculate that is because of marketing. And while product positioning likely has a role, I speculate it is more due to the different construction, with the DX needing more time and labor to produce.

All the Artist Club razors are of high quality. The SS is the most different model with its bulging lips helping to stretch the skin, or support the razor, or cause one to increase the blade angle depending on how you use it and your perspective of the function of its lip. While I don't use mine that often, I do like using it on occaion. I find that it can provide a quick shave without irritation when compared to other shavettes. Great to use when shaving in a hurry, but probably less so if wanting BBS.

I use the Feather DX with the Kai Pinks. Love the razor, and like the Pinks over any of the Feather blades. Just works for me. I did a month solid with this razor, really helped my technique. It’s a fun tool.

The USD has strengthened a lot against most currencies over the past few months and I think the Japanese Yen has been generally been falling a little against other currencies such as the EUR or GBP, which has made Japanese goods even cheaper to buy recently. The cheapest I have seen in many years. So I think the DX price you saw was legitimate and cheaper than seen in past years. This does cause pain for those respected retailers who already have the item stocked.

While I have not used the SR, both the DX and SR are fairly close in their blade profiles. There has been speculation in other threads as to why the DX is so much more expensive that the SS & SR. Some speculate that is because of marketing. And while product positioning likely has a role, I speculate it is more due to the different construction, with the DX needing more time and labor to produce.

All the Artist Club razors are of high quality. The SS is the most different model with its bulging lips helping to stretch the skin, or support the razor, or cause one to increase the blade angle depending on how you use it and your perspective of the function of its lip. While I don't use mine that often, I do like using it on occaion. I find that it can provide a quick shave without irritation when compared to other shavettes. Great to use when shaving in a hurry, but probably less so if wanting BBS.
Ah I see that makes sense then. Yes, I was skeptical at first seeing as some shops in the States charge $250 or the DX so it seemed to good to be true but if the currencies have changed this much then that explains it.

Appreciate your feedback on the SS too!

Appreciate the feedback & advice! Yeah, it could well be that the guards on the blade are hindering my technique somewhat. Thats cool that you just went straight to the Super blades, curious to know which AC razor you chose? I'll be sure to post updates on my journey.

Not sure. Got it so long ago, and I don't see a similar model pictured anywhere I look. It was the cheapest one, though. I paid around $90 to $100 for it.

In my opinion, the razor handles Feather offers are all just gadgets that hold the blade. What I'm saying is that I don't think that the $250 folding teakwood handle will offer you an inherently better shave than you'd be capable of achieving with the cheapest handle. Don't go chasing handles and blades on your journey to master the Artist Club. Developing your technique will prove more valuable.

Not sure. Got it so long ago, and I don't see a similar model pictured anywhere I look. It was the cheapest one, though. I paid around $90 to $100 for it.

In my opinion, the razor handles Feather offers are all just gadgets that hold the blade. What I'm saying is that I don't think that the $250 folding teakwood handle will offer you an inherently better shave than you'd be capable of achieving with the cheapest handle. Don't go chasing handles and blades on your journey to master the Artist Club. Developing your technique will prove more valuable.
Very true, there's no point having all the gear and no idea. As a result, since posting this original post I have not bought the DX or SR models, I've stuck to my SS and will continue to learn the technique before purchasing any other Artist Club razors.

Top Bottom