What's new

Feather Artist Club Blades - Help.

Hello Everyone,

I've just entered the world of straight razor/ shavettes. I recently purchased and had my 1st shave with a Feather Artist Club SS razor, it was very enjoyable and even though this was a 1st attempt I was pretty pleased with the result. For this, I used a Feather Pro Guard blade, I did receive a pack of Super Professional blades with it but I thought they might be beyond my skill level at the moment 😅.

My question is what blade do you recommend and why? While the Pro Guard did give me a close shave I did feel it tug at times. I've read mixed reviews about these Pro Guards with some users warning people to not use them. Would the Professional (mid-range) blades be better overall and how do they change the feel of the razor and shave performance?

Obviously, I'm not expecting the best shave ever for many months as I need to practice this skill (very different from a safety razor) lol. I really enjoyed using the Feather SS, I did get a few nicks around my jawline, so I think I should do some skin stretching in those areas next time to avoid nicks. Thanks for taking the time to read my question, I'd be super grateful for feedback on these blades and any tips for newbies you have. Shaving with the Feather is very satisfying, I have a lot of admiration and respect for those of you who have mastered it!

Have a great day and happy shaving :straight:

I would say keep using the Feather Proguard, till you create the muscle memory necessary with a shavette. Don't worry about the tug feeling as this blade is more sharper than necessary and still safe enough.

After 30 - 50 shaves with the Proguard, then go with a Kai Titan Pink blade . Have 30 shaves with this blade and then you can jump to any blade you prefer like the Super that you have already.

I started with Kai Protouch (22th) shaves, I am using a feather Proguard (6th shaves) and love using the Kai Titan Pink (over 10 shaves). This is my suggestion.

Build muscle memory, that is important.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
As far as I know the Proguard is the exact same as the Professional in terms of dimension and sharpness etc. it is only the guard that is different. The Super Professional is a larger blade with greater exposure. If you are finding the Proguard tuggy then I suggest you work on your angle - keep the spine barely away from the skin (I use a Feather AC DX but the SS might need a slightly steeper angle), and consider using a more watery lather than you might use for a DE shave. The Proguard is excellent and certainly not reserved for beginners, many experienced AC shavers use them all the time.

1662626611943.png

My suggestion is - do not mess with guarded blades. Use "real" blade. You started straight shaving because it is fun and zen not because it is easy, right!

Skin stretching is obligatory not optional !

I never liked SS (clone). Its lip is hindering a shallow no-pressure shave.
And I don't see AC-blade advantage over DE or cabinet blades. Same result , much higher cost. YMMV, as always.

Very good advice above.
Tell us what type of whiskers you have and what your goal is.

Super blades in DX razors are imo the most similar to a straight razor. The blades have more exposure but they are thicker! Which makes them glide better through longer beard. IMHO that makes them even a little bit more forgiving than the Professional, but I'm not sure you will notice the difference that much using them in SS!

So if your next stop is a more efficient shave, then super blades are correct choice.

But like others, I suggest you stick to the same hardware as much as you can in order to improve your technique.

Great advice from the previous posts.

I don't recommend bouncing around, trying different blades. I started my Artist Club beginning journey with the Professional Supers. Nervous and scared? Yes, but I took my time and used absolutely no pressure, developing my angle of approach along with my muscle memory. YOU have to find the blade that works for you, and I believe you can make any blade work, given time to develop your technique. A drawback I could see happening with using Proguards is that you might be tempted to push or use more pressure, overriding the guard ridge to get a closer or quicker shave; not a good idea if you transition to your Super Professionals. You'll quickly become proficient if you concentrate on technique. Let us know how things are going!

The Feather Artist Club SS doesn't benefit as much from a guarded blade in comparison to the other Artist Club models, as the lip provides some protection as the razor glides across the face. Though your ProGuards should still work well.

I wonder if some of the tugging was due to trying to shave at too shallow of an angle, which did not allow the blade to make contact with the hair shaft at skin level but slightly above it, causing the sensation. IMO the SS does not need as much skin stretching in softer areas of the face like the cheeks, as the lip can press downward a little as the blade angle is opened up (razor held flatter against the skin), so that lip starts to press downward stretching the skin a little in the process; though all that may be easier said than done on all areas of your face. When compared to other Feather AC models I think most people find that using a slightly higher shaving angle is needed, so that the blade can make good contact with the face. Of course that requires a light touch, but you already knew that.

I would say keep using the Feather Proguard, till you create the muscle memory necessary with a shavette. Don't worry about the tug feeling as this blade is more sharper than necessary and still safe enough.

After 30 - 50 shaves with the Proguard, then go with a Kai Titan Pink blade . Have 30 shaves with this blade and then you can jump to any blade you prefer like the Super that you have already.

I started with Kai Protouch (22th) shaves, I am using a feather Proguard (6th shaves) and love using the Kai Titan Pink (over 10 shaves). This is my suggestion.

Build muscle memory, that is important.
Thanks for the advice, I'll check out those Kai blades.

As far as I know the Proguard is the exact same as the Professional in terms of dimension and sharpness etc. it is only the guard that is different. The Super Professional is a larger blade with greater exposure. If you are finding the Proguard tuggy then I suggest you work on your angle - keep the spine barely away from the skin (I use a Feather AC DX but the SS might need a slightly steeper angle), and consider using a more watery lather than you might use for a DE shave. The Proguard is excellent and certainly not reserved for beginners, many experienced AC shavers use them all the time.

View attachment 1519050
I'm happy to hear some positive feedback regarding the Pro Guard blades, and I found this blade guide very useful. Yes, I believe I'll need to work on my angle as it was inconsistent at times. Regarding blade life, how many shaves can you roughly get from these blades?

What are the differences between the SS, DX & SR razors? I understand that the tips vary offering a different shave feel, but does it change the shave drastically? I see the DX is noticeably more expensive than the SS & SR. Is this reserved for more experienced shavers perhaps? I chose the SS due to the fact it has been around for a very long time, so I assumed it is tried and tested making it a good choice for a beginner such as myself. But, I'm curious as to what the DX & SR offer.

My suggestion is - do not mess with guarded blades. Use "real" blade. You started straight shaving because it is fun and zen not because it is easy, right!

Skin stretching is obligatory not optional !

I never liked SS (clone). Its lip is hindering a shallow no-pressure shave.
And I don't see AC-blade advantage over DE or cabinet blades. Same result , much higher cost. YMMV, as always.
I'll have some more shaves with my Pro Guard blade seeing as its open now and I'll maybe look at giving the Kai blades which were mentioned or my Super Professionals a go. Of course, I never expected to have an amazing BBS shave right out of the bat, it's obvious that it'll take a long time to become proficient, and I'm happy and excited to put the time and effort in.

Understood, more skin stretching required lol. This brings me on to my difficult area to shave... the moustache area and chin. For me (and I'm sure many men) this is the hardest are to get BBS and if a soap does not agree with my skin this area is where it gets irritated. I'm not always chasing BBS around here but what is the best technique to shave this area comfortably, but remain efficient? I also have a chin indentation (clef indent) to work around too.

What do you mean by SS clone? I thought the Feather SS is it's now razor, not a clone? The lip on the SS seems to be an area of design which has user split in opinion. Appreciate your feedback & suggestions.

Blade life depends on the user. I get about 14 - 22 shaves so far. Some users can go up to 100 and more. Check Excalibur thread.

Dx is high premium material shavette and has no bump in its edge. SR is stainless steel and has a very little bump. It is a way between Dx and Ss.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I'm happy to hear some positive feedback regarding the Pro Guard blades, and I found this blade guide very useful. Yes, I believe I'll need to work on my angle as it was inconsistent at times. Regarding blade life, how many shaves can you roughly get from these blades?

What are the differences between the SS, DX & SR razors? I understand that the tips vary offering a different shave feel, but does it change the shave drastically? I see the DX is noticeably more expensive than the SS & SR. Is this reserved for more experienced shavers perhaps? I chose the SS due to the fact it has been around for a very long time, so I assumed it is tried and tested making it a good choice for a beginner such as myself. But, I'm curious as to what the DX & SR offer.
I get about 10 shaves from an AC blade but could probably get more. I have never used an SS but members have commented on the difference in thread like this:

I documented my learning process in a month long thread which you may find of interest 👍

Very good advice above.
Tell us what type of whiskers you have and what your goal is.

Super blades in DX razors are imo the most similar to a straight razor. The blades have more exposure but they are thicker! Which makes them glide better through longer beard. IMHO that makes them even a little bit more forgiving than the Professional, but I'm not sure you will notice the difference that much using them in SS!

So if your next stop is a more efficient shave, then super blades are correct choice.

But like others, I suggest you stick to the same hardware as much as you can in order to improve your technique.
So I am in my early 30's caucasian and I have very dark and coarse beard growth, not curly but more straight hair, my skin is also blemish free. I have the kind of beard were even after a BBS shave (with a DE razor) I can run my hand against the grain and it'll feel super smooth but visibly I can still see the dark colour of the beard shadow. I'll admit that I'm jealous of fair haired guys who can get away with a two pass shave and get a BBS result with no visible beard shadow left haha. But, can't change how I'm made so just got to work with what I have. I won't lie, I'd love to achieve a BBS shave every time, but I'd prefer a close irritation free shave than a sore BBS shave. I have mapped my grain which helped my DE shaving journey very much, but as the SS razor is used in a completely different way I kinda hard trouble following the same path I'd use with a DE razor. I struggle as I mentioned above mainly with the area around the upper lip and chin. This area is very easily prone to micro nicks, irritation and stinging it i use a soap which might not agree with me, or anything mentholated.

After reading the comments about the SS I'm starting to regret that I bought now and feel I should have chosen the SR or DX. It makes complete sense regarding the blade thickness as you mentioned. TBH when I shave with a DE blade it can cause little white heads the following day around my chin, so I tried a single edged blade, Supply's SE razor and I think due to the thicker blade it illuminated white heads. So I personally believe these thicker single edged blades suit my skin better than the thinner DE blades.

It's encouraging to hear the Super blades could be more suited for me. I think as I have a Pro Guard open, I'll use that just to start and try to build some muscle memory using this razor then once thats used I'll pop a Super in, give that a go. I agree, technique is key, someone can have all the best gear in the world but if your technique is bad then it's pointless.

Great advice from the previous posts.

I don't recommend bouncing around, trying different blades. I started my Artist Club beginning journey with the Professional Supers. Nervous and scared? Yes, but I took my time and used absolutely no pressure, developing my angle of approach along with my muscle memory. YOU have to find the blade that works for you, and I believe you can make any blade work, given time to develop your technique. A drawback I could see happening with using Proguards is that you might be tempted to push or use more pressure, overriding the guard ridge to get a closer or quicker shave; not a good idea if you transition to your Super Professionals. You'll quickly become proficient if you concentrate on technique. Let us know how things are going!
Appreciate the feedback & advice! Yeah, it could well be that the guards on the blade are hindering my technique somewhat. Thats cool that you just went straight to the Super blades, curious to know which AC razor you chose? I'll be sure to post updates on my journey.

The Feather Artist Club SS doesn't benefit as much from a guarded blade in comparison to the other Artist Club models, as the lip provides some protection as the razor glides across the face. Though your ProGuards should still work well.

I wonder if some of the tugging was due to trying to shave at too shallow of an angle, which did not allow the blade to make contact with the hair shaft at skin level but slightly above it, causing the sensation. IMO the SS does not need as much skin stretching in softer areas of the face like the cheeks, as the lip can press downward a little as the blade angle is opened up (razor held flatter against the skin), so that lip starts to press downward stretching the skin a little in the process; though all that may be easier said than done on all areas of your face. When compared to other Feather AC models I think most people find that using a slightly higher shaving angle is needed, so that the blade can make good contact with the face. Of course that requires a light touch, but you already knew that.
Ok, yes that makes sense as I suppose the lip is designed to offer more protection. I have read that some guys just can't achieve BBS with the SS which they put down to the lip. However, I achieved BBS (only on my cheeks mind you) so I'm sure with practice BBS, for my skin at least, can be achieved all over with my SS eventually.

Agreed, I started with a very steep angle close to my skin but found not much was happening, so as you say, that lip requires a higher angle away from the face a bit more. I think maybe I was over concentrating and I'm sure my angle was off many times, hence why I got the odd nick lol. What is your technique for shaving the chin and upper lip?

Blade life depends on the user. I get about 14 - 22 shaves so far. Some users can go up to 100 and more. Check Excalibur thread.

Dx is high premium material shavette and has no bump in its edge. SR is stainless steel and has a very little bump. It is a way between Dx and Ss.
Oh wow as many as 22?! That is impressive. So, it sounds like the DX is a lot less forgiving with someone with bad technique? Which one is your preference?

I get about 10 shaves from an AC blade but could probably get more. I have never used an SS but members have commented on the difference in thread like this:

I documented my learning process in a month long thread which you may find of interest 👍

10 is a good amount, I'd be happy with that. I appreciate links to these threads on your journey I will give these a read tonight I'm very interested to hear about your experience. I'm kinda worried that I should have bought the SR instead of the SS, I know it's mainly down to my technique but I'd like to know that the tool I'm using is efficient when used right.

Oh wow as many as 22?! That is impressive. So, it sounds like the DX is a lot less forgiving with someone with bad technique? Which one is your preference?
I have only an Ac clone, which is shaped after Kai Kasho (as I have read). If I will buy an Ac shavette it will be either Kai Captain or Feather Sr.

I have other shavettes, so I am OK for the moment.

What are the differences between the SS, DX & SR razors? I understand that the tips vary offering a different shave feel, but does it change the shave drastically?
The lip design and blade exposure is the most important difference between the models. Try using the SS with the pro super blade. This blade is wider, which enables you to use a more shallow angle. The SR gives you something in between the SS and the DX.
so I assumed it is tried and tested making it a good choice for a beginner such as myself
I actually think that the SS is not the most beginner friendly choice. It forces you to use a more open shaving angle. As a straight razor shaver a shallow angle is quite important, especially going against the grain.

This is probably a different discussion, but a true straight razor is much easier to use. They also tug less then these artist club blades (at least mine does).

I have the kind of beard were even after a BBS shave (with a DE razor) I can run my hand against the grain and it'll feel super smooth but visibly I can still see the dark colour of the beard shadow. I'll admit that I'm jealous of fair haired guys who can get away with a two pass shave and get a BBS result with no visible beard shadow left haha. But, can't change how I'm made so just got to work with what I have. I won't lie, I'd love to achieve a BBS shave every time, but I'd prefer a close irritation free shave than a sore BBS shave.
I hear you! I have very hard whiskers.
After reading the comments about the SS I'm starting to regret that I bought now and feel I should have chosen the SR or DX. It makes complete sense regarding the blade thickness as you mentioned. TBH when I shave with a DE blade it can cause little white heads the following day around my chin, so I tried a single edged blade, Supply's SE razor and I think due to the thicker blade it illuminated white heads. So I personally believe these thicker single edged blades suit my skin better than the thinner DE blades.
Had the same problem and after changing to AC Razors it got less. I am afraid you are right! SS is a very good razor but for hard thick whiskers I would not recommend it. I shave daily with dx loaded with professional blade and get the most irritation free shaves up to now. Why? because less passes less irritation and less passes will give you the more efficient razors!

It's encouraging to hear the Super blades could be more suited for me. I think as I have a Pro Guard open, I'll use that just to start and try to build some muscle memory using this razor then once thats used I'll pop a Super in, give that a go. I agree, technique is key, someone can have all the best gear in the world but if your technique is bad then it's pointless.
You are on the correct path :thumbup: Continue with pro guard and then move to super or professional ( I mentioned the difference between them in previous post) and see if results are more satisfying; Then consider purchasing SR or DX. (Sometimes here in forum offered with reasonable price).

Top Bottom