What's new

Favorite Vintage Gillette DE - Summer 2022

Hello All,

Okay, we've seen these posts before but I thought it would be nice to have a new one for Summer 2022. Yes, it's beating an old horse but why not? I have pretty much all of the non-Aristocrat razors. Frankly, I'm looking for some Aristocrat inspiration. I have several Rockets (including the Red Tip) and even the elusive vintage 7 O'clock. I love them all but recently have been using my 1940s SSs and my New short comb. I've also rekindled a love for my blue Lady Gillette with the long handle. I'm not so much into the Fatboy and Slim adjustables but know that people here love them. My go-to blades are Gillette Sharp Edge, Astra Blues and PolSlivers. Of course there are other razors/blades that I switch around to. Anyway, what Gillette Vintage razors are people using lately?

Last edited:
Yes, as a matter of fact, I do every friday, this past one I used my Gillette Tech from the 90´s on a Razorock SS Halo handle... it is a superb shaver... #GilletteFriday

IMG_20220701_111529_539-01.jpeg

Cheers

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
My favourite Gillette, and possibly my favourite razor full stop, is the English Goodwill, with the Single Ring a close second. Aside from my English Red Tip, I found Gillette TTO and adjustable razors not to my taste.

Techs for me.

I've got a bunch of vintage Gillettes: Old Type, New LC and SC, TTOs (Superspeeds, Flare Tips, Fat Boy, and Slim), and Techs. Mostly Techs. I've only used the TTOs and Techs, so my opinion is limited to those, but I love the mindless, auto-pilot shaves I get from the Techs.

For me, so far, it is the perfect vintage Gillette razor.

I haven’t used another razor since getting my Red Tip about two months ago.

As a matter of fact, this year most of my shaves have been with Gillette TTOs from 1940s and 1950s (I don’t find any difference in the shave between them)

Occasionally, mostly when traveling, I will pack a Tech or the New SC

Only modern razors I (rarely) use these days are the Henson, Feather AS-D2 and the Masamune, but if I had to keep just one it would be the Henson

I had been using my SuperSpeed as my favorite for years . Then I tried out a Slim and had many nicks with it and gave up. Then got a Rockwell 6C and been using it exclusively for over a year now with the 5 plate. Now that I've read that the Rockwell 6C is much less aggressive than the Slim. I may go back and try the Slim at lower numbers than I tried before. I had been using the Slim from 6-9. I will start at 1 to see how smooth a shave it gives.

Well here's the thing, I only own one vintage razor, and it happens to be the razor you don't like, which is sad, cause its amazing! But for the folks who love looking at good condition vintage Gillete razors, here's a few pictures of my Gillette 1959 (E-3) 195 Adjustable Fatboy!

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php
Sorry, I should clarify. I have a Slim and have tried the Fatboy. I appreciate them, especially the engineering involved but they're just not for me. Beautiful razor!

Fellow vintage Gillette lover here, I have difficulty in choosing my all time favourite, but, my current favourites that are in my collection are:

• Fatboy (mines an E2)
•1921-1928 Old Type made in England
•Flat Bottom New, made in England, probably late 30s-1940
• Ball Handle Tech, probably 1950s, also made in England oddly enough.

I'm currently looking to add an English Flat Bottom Tech to my collection, but the only ones that I have found so far are being fought over on ebay. I am curious about the Slim Adjustable, but, I'm not curious enough to buy one at the moment, I also seem to have this strange fear that getting a slim will render my Fatboy obsolete.

As for my least favourite Vintage Gillette, that has got to be my 1918 G date code Old Type. I ordered it from Razoremporium, only it was supposed to be a New 😅, while it does fit my replica Khaki travel case like a glove, it is just too aggressive for my taste.

G

Guest2023

My favorite Gillette razor is 3 piece RFB from #44 set. I dont know why but it shaves a tiny bit smoother than 2 piece RFB. A close second is British Goodwill.

But for me, Gillette razors are not my favorite shavers. There are lots of non Gillettes DE or SE that shave better.

Top Bottom