What's new

favorite soda ?

I'm no longer allowed sugared soda, much to my chagrin.

Now, I'm hooked on Diet Mountain Dew and have an occasional Diet Coke.

In the good old days, it was:

Pepsi
Coke
Dr. Pepper
7 Up

Special favorites:

Bubble Up
Spring Grove Soda Pop from Spring Grove, MN

FYI, in these parts, we call it "pop" as opposed to soda, "coke", tonic, or whatever else.

Anything mixed with Bourbon Whiskey.

But then if I have to list:
Ginger Ale -- Seagrams, Canana Dry, Vernor's (wife is from Michigan. Never had Vernor's till I married her.)
Grapefruit -- Fresca and Squirt (the non-diet only; the diet is horrible)

My mom and dad owned and operated a fast food resturaunt for my entire life. I grew up interpreting ALL types of names for Soda Pop beverages. If you're ever in Indiana or surrounding, stop into any B-K Rootbeer place you see. Their rootbeer is less sweet and creamy than A&W and more barky like Barq's. Mixed up right, it's the best rootbeer I've ever had and the reason I don't drink RB now.

1. Cokes --- What kind of Coke do you have? I'll take an Orange.
2. Soda
3. Pop
4. Soda Pop or Sodie Pop
5. Cola
6. Cold Drink -- must be said with a southern accent.

Last edited:
have you seen those new trowback sodas ? pepsi and Mountain dew, aparently they decided to do nation wide releases of real cane sugar versions insted of HFCS,

+1 on the Mexi-Cokes in the glass bottles. If those aren't available, cokes in cans are acceptable. Cokes for me are a must if I'm having a burger, or pizza.

If I want a soft drink (don't want to be mocked here :lol: )
for flavor, or something a little different, a few good ones from South America are Inka Kola, which has a slightly, bubble gum flavor- or Guarana from Brazil. Those are very refreshing. A friend of mine from Argentina took me to an Argentine restaurant, and I tried it and really dug it. Reminds me a little of mountain dew.

Also, if you ever go to Pinks hot dogs in LA, you gotta have a Dr. Browns cream soda or root beer, or maybe a Bubble up!
I have been trying to cut down on sugary stuff, but have it occasionally.

Things I miss...

Frosties Root beer

Dads Root beer

I don't drink soda / pop much, but I prefer Coke over Pepsi and 7 UP over Sprite. IBC root beer is above them all though.

proxy.php

Just ordered 60 cans of the popular Scottish popdrink "IRN BRU diet". Hard to get in my country (The Netherlands) but I like it's sweet bubblegum taste.

I remember reading an article about how Kosher Coca Cola came about recently.

Here is a link and an excerpt from the article from the American Jewish Historical Society:

http://www.ajhs.org/publications/chapters/chapter.cfm?documentID=270

Because he lived in Atlanta where the Coca-Cola Company was headquartered, Rabbi Geffen received letters from several Orthodox rabbinic colleagues around the nation asking whether it was halachicly permissible to consume Coca-Cola. Uncertain of the answer, Geffen contacted the company to ask for a list of Coke’s ingredients.

At the time, Rabbi Geffen did not know that the formula for Coca-Cola is a closely guarded trade secret -- perhaps one of the best-kept trade secrets in American history. Only a handful of individuals know the formula. Once Rabbi Geffen inquired, the Coca-Cola Company made a corporate decision to allow him access to the list of ingredients in Coke’s secret formula provided he swore to keep them in utter secrecy. Geffen agreed to the terms. The company did not tell Geffen the exact proportions of each ingredient, but just gave him a list of contents by name.

When Geffen was given the list of ingredients, he discovered that one of them was glycerin made from non-kosher beef tallow. Even though a laboratory chemist told Geffen that the glycerin was present in only one part per thousand (one part in 60 is dilute enough to earn kosher certification), Geffen informed the Coca-Cola Company that, since this glycerin was a planned rather than accidentally added ingredient, observant Jews could not knowingly tolerate its inclusion. Coke failed to meet Geffen’s standards.

Back at the company’s laboratories, research scientists went to work finding a substitute for tallow-based glycerin and discovered that Proctor and Gamble produced a glycerin from cottonseed and coconut oil. When they agreed to use to this new ingredient, Geffen gave his hecksher, or seal of approval, for Coke to be marketed as kosher.

Still, a second problem vexed Geffen: the formula for Coke included traces of alcohol that were a by-product of grain kernels. Since anything derived from grains is chametz, or forbidden at Passover, Coca-Cola could not be certified kosher for use at Passover even after the formula was changed to include vegetable based glycerin. Coke’s chemists experimented and found that, during the Passover season, they could substitute sweeteners produced from beet sugar and cane sugar for grain-based ones without compromising Coke’s taste. They agreed to start manufacturing Coke with the new sugars several weeks before Passover each year.

have you seen those new trowback sodas ? pepsi and Mountain dew, aparently they decided to do nation wide releases of real cane sugar versions insted of HFCS,

Both interesting, gave me something to read up on the net. Thanks for sharing guys.

I don't drink caffeine anymore, but my favorite soda is a local grocery(Food Lion) store brand of black cheery. Which I am out of at the moment. :(

I am a regular Coca Cola guy. I have had periods where I developped a prefrence for one or another kind - but I always keep coming back to the good ol' Coke. My second favourite is the Danish Faxe Kondi.

I do not like my soda with ice - actually I prefer it straight from an old fashioned glass bottle.

Regards.

Jakob

I am a regular Coca Cola guy. I have had periods where I developped a prefrence for one or another kind - but I always keep coming back to the good ol' Coke. My second favourite is the Danish Faxe Kondi.

I do not like my soda with ice - actually I prefer it straight from an old fashioned glass bottle.

Regards.

Jakob

I wonder if ice in drinks is an "American" thing or if lack of ice is a "European" thing. Years ago, several students in my German class (myself included) hosted some exchange students for a month. I remember we were all in a restaurant and one kid dumped all the ice out of his pop into his friend's glass as a joke. "Amerikanisches Cola!" they exclaimed as they burst out in laughter, poking fun at the American contingent for our apparent love of ice. Conversely, when I'm in Europe, I can't get ice for the life of me! :lol:

Things I miss...

Frosties Root beer

Dads Root beer

I don't drink soda / pop much, but I prefer Coke over Pepsi and 7 UP over Sprite. IBC root beer is above them all though.

I saw Dad's Root Beer at the store yesterday. I was going to get a bottle of the diet, but opted for FrostTop instead because it has less sodium.

Dad's is available in the Minneapolis area.

I had been looking for Hire's Root Beer a while back and gave up. I don't know if it is available anywhere. It's owned by Dr. Pepper/Snapple. I suppose if I really wanted to, I could order some over the Internet(s).

BTW, I found www.popsoda.com . Interesting.

Last edited:
I wonder if ice in drinks is an "American" thing or if lack of ice is a "European" thing. Years ago, several students in my German class (myself included) hosted some exchange students for a month. I remember we were all in a restaurant and one kid dumped all the ice out of his pop into his friend's glass as a joke. "Amerikanisches Cola!" they exclaimed as they burst out in laughter, poking fun at the American contingent for our apparent love of ice. Conversely, when I'm in Europe, I can't get ice for the life of me! :lol:

Here in Denmark, except in fast food chains like McDonalds and Burger King, your are usually asked whether you want ice in your soda or not.

Regards.

Jakob

theres a trick to that, a medium drink is actually a small with ice, and a large is a medium with ice, here in spain, unless you clearly specify it, they will put ice in your drink, and you clearly notice theres a significant difference in volume of liquid served when they top it off,

now, i´ve aquired a taste for a soda thats extreamly bad for the body,
In Spain, the coca cola company equivalent of red bull is called Burn, it has a nice candy pineapple taste, they have the normal concentration 25cl cans, like redbull, and now they released these 50cl cans with 2/3 concentration (meaning that they have 2/3 the active ingridientes, but theres twice the volume, so its actually 1.5x as strong as the small can per can),

i love it, but it will kill me sooner or later...

Top Bottom