What's new

Favorite Shaving Soaps

I've been cycling through soaps lately myself and have found that my favorite soaps todate are any in the Trumper's line of soaps.

Another vote for QED ... love the wild orange, and liked the pine/cedar scent a while back. I recently tried a Florida Water soap from Giovanni at Tryphon that I really like.

Could somebody describe Penhaligons English Fern for me?

Gotta say, I absolutely LOVE Mama Bear and HoneyBee Spa. I have three (so far) HBS and a half-dozen MB's, and they are everything I'd want from a soap: A nice slick lather that sticks around long enough for me to strop my straight, and just the right level of scent that sticks around exactly as much as I like it to. I travel all the time, and it's also nice to put half of a soap into a stick and take it with me.

I also like the Artistry of the Artisan. Between the two of them, I have about a gajillion choices for scent, both the old standards and some really creative inventions.

Also, for me, there is great value in buying from someone who is running their own show. My family has lots of small businesspeople in it, and I like to support that whenever I can (Just me, I know!).

It's also nice to know that the head of R&D, sales & marketing, and customer service are as kind and responsive as these Sues are!

Having said that, I also enjoy C&E's Sienna and Nomad.

Have fun!

-Michael

Just returning to soaps after a year of creams only. Prodigal son.

I like fancy soap and light scents, so my top choice is a tie:

Tabac
D.R. Harris - Arlington

A tie in that precise order.

It is always changing for me. My current favorites are:

Tabac, L"occitane Cade, QED wild rose, MamaBear's Diogenes club

For some reason lately I've been using more creams than usual...

I have several Honeybee soaps (Lime, Forest Pine, Vetyver, Oakmoss, Lavender, Violet) . . .Honeybee wins out for me, because for less than $4 a puck, you can't beat it. And she has tons of different scents. I love her pick three deals. I'm trying to decide what next three to get.

If you like floral, her gardenia scent is TRULY awesome...it is to her florals what her bay rum is to bay rums (so if you haven't tried her bay rum...it is a must have!).

At the moment I've too many favorites to mention, but a few recent standouts are:

TGQ Orange Patchouli
Pre de Provence
L'Occitane Cade
TGQ Sage Sweetgrass Cedar
Provence Sante

It's getting kind of hard to pick a soap for the day's shave, but it seems I'm happy with each shave.

Hard soaps:

GFT
Floris
L'Occitane

Soft soaps:
TGQ
QED
SCS

These are my favorites, but I also enjoy Mama Bears soaps and Honeybee Sue's soaps.

Randy

i used tabac 3 times allready, i love it, i havent tested any becuase im fresh from canned goo, but the differance is amazing,

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Wow.

I use a soap for a whole month before moving on ... so combine that with having been wetshaving for only about 10 months ... and with discovering SSAD only recently ... I have a big pile of soaps at home that I haven't even tried yet, including what I'm told are star performers like ...

L'Occitaine Cade
Tabac
Trumper's
DR Harris
MWF
I could list more ...

and heck, I don't even have any Floris, Penhaligon's, QED, TGQ ...

(And given that what I have so far will last me at least half a decade, I'm fining it rather easy to keep myself from buying more soap right now ... )

Wanted to update my preferences with a new contender: SCS New Spice soap. I got a sample of this in the B&B Newbie Sampler kit and I used it this morning. I could not have been more impressed...it lathered up quicker than any soap I've tried (rivaling the speed of the best creams I have used), it easily produced enough lather for my normal two full and one partial pass (with a ton of lather left in the brush that I had to regretfully rinse down the sink), it offered terrific protection even to my lower neck (which usually gives me a problem with almost any shaving product), and it had a nice, pleasant scent that hung around during the shave and didn't linger afterwards.

I absolutely LOVE the Provence Sante soap, recently telling a friend it wasn't just the best soap I have used, it might be the best shaving product, period, I have ever used. I will have to use the SCS soap more than once for it to overtake the Sante as my all-time fave, but first impressions indicate that it could be a close race.

My experience is limited in this area because I have only been wetshaving again for about six months. That being said, my favorites are:

Mitchell's Wool Fat
Truefit & Hill

I rotate these two soaps on a regular basis.

Wanted to update my preferences with a new contender: SCS New Spice soap. I got a sample of this in the B&B Newbie Sampler kit and I used it this morning. I could not have been more impressed...it lathered up quicker than any soap I've tried (rivaling the speed of the best creams I have used), it easily produced enough lather for my normal two full and one partial pass (with a ton of lather left in the brush that I had to regretfully rinse down the sink), it offered terrific protection even to my lower neck (which usually gives me a problem with almost any shaving product), and it had a nice, pleasant scent that hung around during the shave and didn't linger afterwards.

I absolutely LOVE the Provence Sante soap, recently telling a friend it wasn't just the best soap I have used, it might be the best shaving product, period, I have ever used. I will have to use the SCS soap more than once for it to overtake the Sante as my all-time fave, but first impressions indicate that it could be a close race.

+1 on the SCS New Spice. Love the scent and i find it to be the creamiest soap lather I've come across.

This week, I have been using my Geo. F. Trumper Coconut Oil shaving soap. It is absolutely wonderful. It is making me wonder if I like it better than my stated favorite, MWF. :confused:

Tim

Top Bottom