What's new

Favorite Desserts?

Good bread pudding is something I used to not like that I have come to love. I do not know why the combination works so well, but it does. Bad bread pudding is a horror.

Fresh ripe mango cheeks blitzed with a good authentic Greek yogurt in a blender for 15 seconds. 4 parts mango to 1 part yogurt. Pour into bowls, and allow to set in the fridge. Hard to beat in summer.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Two come to mind: 1) fresh baked bread and molasses and, 2) fresh baked biscuits and apple sauce.

Or...both! Mrs. Hippie had some storage apples that were beginning to soften a little. She cut them up and made apple butter; a recipe that includes molasses as well as dark maple syrup. Fantastic! Also dangerously tasty, which makes me go back for more toast or biscuits than I normally eat. I'm sure there are many non-food items whose edibility would be substantially improved with a spoonful of it. :)

O.H.

1 FWZCcTtfXgVHyIvQsct4og.jpg

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Notes from the Chef’s Desk – Panna Cotta

This is one of my favorite desserts for easy Panna Cotta (a traditional Italian Piemontese pudding), that you can do at home :thumbsup:

proxy.php

Panna Cotta - Eight (8) servings

4 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, or 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
2 packets powdered gelatin (about 4 1/2 teaspoons)
4 tablespoons cold water
2 tablespoons Anisette, Brandy or Rum

Fruit Purees

1 ea Mango (peeled, pitted & cubed).
2 lbs Strawberries (reserve eight [8] for 'fans')
2 lbs Blackberries (reserve a few for garnish)

Garnish
a) Strawberry 'Fans' (with a paring knife, slice strawberry from a point slightly below the top stem to the bottom. Continue making thin slits from one end of the strawberry to the other. Gently push down with your finger thus spreading the strawberry apart creating a fan.
proxy.php

b) 'reserved' Blackberries
c) Fresh Mint Sprigs

Method

1. Warm the heavy cream and sugar in a saucepan over low heat. Once the sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. If using a vanilla bean, scrape the seeds from the bean and discard. Then add the bean pod into the cream. Cover, and let infuse for 30 minutes. Remove the bean pod and discard.

2. Very, very lightly oil eight custard (or decorative tins...say like heart shapes), cups with spray neutral-tasting Pam.

3. Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water in a medium-sized bowl and let stand 5 to 10 minutes. Then mix the gelatin with your fingers to completely dissolve the gelatin. Add the Anisette, Brandy or Rum and re-mix.

4. Pour the cooled Panna Cotta mixture over the gelatin and stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved.

5. Divide the Panna Cotta mixture into the prepared cups, and then chill them until firm, which will take at least three (3) hours.

6. Carefully run a sharp knife around the edge of each Panna Cotta and unmold (invert) each onto a serving plate.

7. Puree each of the fruits in a Cuisineart, (strain blackberries and strawberries through sieve to remove seeds, ect..), reserve and chill.

Plate Set-up

1. Ladle a small amount of each of the Purees onto 'chilled serving 8 inch dinner plates (for a tri-color affect).

2. Slide the unmolded Panna Cotta in the center of the Purees, and garnish with a Strawberry 'fan', reserved Blackberries and a fresh Mint sprig on top. Enjoy! :w00t:

attachment.php
“From Many We are One”. Chef Ferdinand Metz, CMC

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
There's not many desserts I don't like 😛.
A man after my own heart - love most of them. My wife makes an outstanding Carrot Cake with a very generous amount of cream cheese frosting. The very center always sags a bit, and that's why my daughter waits and requests a very specific piece. I do love a good Key Lime Pie, but it must hit that perfect "sweet spot" between pucker and sweet. The Red Parrot in Newport RI has great KLP if you're ever in that neck of the woods. Dark Chocolate - in any form. Cream Cheese Brownies with a chocolate ganache! Darn, now I'm hungry!!!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Usually I don't want a heavy dessert after dinner. Last night we had plain but delicious blackberries. A Harry and David pear with a bit of cream cheese is pretty hard to beat. A go to for dinner parties is buttermilk panna cotta with raspberries. When I do feel decadent, a Napoleon is hard to beat.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
The closest I've come to enjoying a good slice of Dobos Torta in a nice Hungarian restaurant overlooking the Danube is enjoying a good slice of Dobos Torta in a nice Hungarian restaurant near my hometown. There's a mural of Budapest on the wall. :)

O.H.

Top Bottom