What's new

Favorite DE Blades?

Feathers are #1 and Gillette stainless (any older) are #2. Everything else is OK except for Derbys which I won't use.

I've tried at least 15 different blades and have found most of these to give a decent shave. In each instance, I used at least three of the blades and except in rare cases, got five shaves from each blade (the main exceptions being Treet Blue Specials which rust so fast that I got two shaves with each, and Merkur, where with 3 out of 5, the shaves were so rough that I pitched them after a shave or two). I have to consider as favorites those blades that I was inspired to buy in bulk after using them a few times. I break those into inexpensive and premium blades. I have found both Astra SP and Derby for under $10/100 shipped. For me, it takes quite a bit more expense to find something any better than either of these. It is debatable whether they are worse triple the cost, but I like them enough that I've also purchased both Iridium and Medical Prep Personna blades by the 100 as well. When the Iridiums, which are my "cost is no object" absolute #1 blade, run out, I will replace them with either Feather or Gillette Sharp Edge Blades.

In summary, my favorite blades are Iridiums. The others that follow close behind are Med-Prep Personna, Derby and Astra SP.

blades for me come and go i prefer derby but for the most part it doesn't really matter what i use my technique is good and i know how to use the gear that is in my den and the rest takes care of itself

Well, my preference is towards Personna *74's. <smile> Out of production, they are only available NOS but I've been lucky enough to snag a large quantity of them.

I also like most of the blades that are held in high regard here at B&B...

Red Packs
7O'Clocks, black and yellow
Astra SP's
Gillette Super Blue blades, NOS carbons
SuperMax Sunrise Titainiums

I'm not really fond of the Feathers --too rough.

-- John Gehman

Astra Superior Platinum

Why?
1. Nearly as sharp as a Feather.
2. Far more forgiving than a Feather.
3. You can get 200 for 26 bucks. That's 13 cents a blade.
4. I get 3 shaves out of one blade.
5. They work for my face.

Honestly, I how they work for your face is the number one reason for buying them, but for the price that these things can be purchased for, nothing comes close. I can only give myself a true multi-pass shave every 5 days, so one blade tends to last me 2 weeks. 2 blades in a month costs a quarter. Cannot beat that.

I have a lot of blades that I'd buy and use, but the real stand outs are, in order (groups). This with a Gillette Black handle.

Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow

Personna Med Prep (includes Lab blade)
Bic Chrome Platinum
Vidyut Super-Max

There are good "also rans", that I won't include.

You didn't ask about SE, so I won't tell you.

Astra Superior Platinum

Why?
1. Nearly as sharp as a Feather.
2. Far more forgiving than a Feather.
3. You can get 200 for 26 bucks. That's 13 cents a blade.
4. I get 3 shaves out of one blade.
5. They work for my face.

Honestly, I how they work for your face is the number one reason for buying them, but for the price that these things can be purchased for, nothing comes close. I can only give myself a true multi-pass shave every 5 days, so one blade tends to last me 2 weeks. 2 blades in a month costs a quarter. Cannot beat that.

Read my mind. Feathers are great, but not worth 4x the price of astras, which are much more forgiving.

Top Bottom