What's new

Fatip Retro First Shave Report/Fatip-Joris Collection

Raven Koenes

My precious!
My new Retro I received in the mail last Monday is up in my rotation for the second week of OCtober. My Retro is all lined up to go with a Gillette Platinum blade, Proraso Red, Semogue 620, and Figaro Monsieur Gold Splash. I really look forward to shaving with the Retro. Right now I feel that it is my most beautiful Fatip I own. Its fit and finish, in nickel, is really excellent and the lines are great. The handle is a bit longer than I prefer, but like the longer Joris and Fatip wood handle razors I'm hoping I don't notice the handle at all. The total size of the Reto is about 4" or 10 cm. We'll see, and I'll try to give my opinion the slipperiness of the handle for Esox. First shave report coming up tomorrow on Monday.
016.JPG
028.JPG

My Fatip and a Joris Collection:
066.JPG

From left to right then the two by the crow (also from left to right):
Fatip Grande, Fatip Zebrano, Joris Palladium Engraved, Fatip Gentile, Fatip Testina Gentile,
Fatip Retro, and Fatip Piccolo.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
First Shave Report:

Well, my first shave went very well with my new Fatip Retro! I used my favorite soap Proraso (red), blade Gillette Platinum, and brush a Semogue 620.:001_wub: I waited all weekend to use it with 48 hours of growth. What can I say it is a Fatip OC! Right off the bat it felt way more aggressive than my other Fatips. It felt a lot like my Joris. This was a pleasant surprise. I must add, however, when switching out Fatips this is not altogether unusual. I have gone back to Fatip OC's that I thought were more mild and found them equally aggressive later when returning to them. They are the same head after all, and the only difference is weight and I switched from a GSB last week in my Fatip Zebrano to a Gillette Platinum. As the handle has less weight than my Grande, and not much more than my Zebrano. I will assume for now that it must be the blade.

I did a quick wtg pass thinking I would do my regular three pass shave wtg, xtg, and atg with touch ups. I felt my skin after pass one, and it was at the point of smoothness of two passes for me. I decided at that point to just do a atg pass and touch up and call it a day. It was a dfs with bbs smoothness on my cheeks, under my chin, and jaw line. I could still feel slight stubble on my lower neck, but that is normal as I never do more than one wtg pass there. Over all it was an excellent shave, as good as a normal three pass fatip OC shave and slightly more comfortable. This made me a little sad as I really like the ritual of a three pass shave. I will keep experimenting with two passes with the Retro, although I will pick a couple of days a week to do three pass just to make me happy.

Now, the handle is longer than I like, but like all my other long handle Fatips I didn't notice it. Which is great! It is a handle that looks like I could pole vault over my sink, or be used as a stirrer for a Gin and Tonic. I don't think I would want to leave it in my drink as a stirrer I might put my eye out. Seriously the handle is beautiful and well weighted. I love the crisscrossing lines on it. It really shines nicely under the Bathroom lighting, and definitely a pleasure to look at. It is definitely a thicker handle than my Piccolo, but not quite as thick as my Grande. Over all I like it. I surprisingly found it to be a very nice user friendly handle, and those that have trouble with thinner handles will not, imo, with this one. I did not find it slippery at all. Then I'm not one to notice such things, and I live in Colorado where we have very hard water. I love hard water. I would think every old school wet shaver should have hard water. Do they make water hardeners?

Over all I'm very satisfied with my new Retro. It is a winner and a keeper, and it already has moved up a few notches in my Fatip rotation.

Cheers
Rave

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Seriously the handle is beautiful and well weighted. I love the crisscrossing lines on it. It really shines nicely under the Bathroom lighting, and definitely a pleasure to look at. It is definitely a thicker handle than my Piccolo, but not quite as thick as my Grande. Over all I like it. I surprisingly found it to be a very nice user friendly handle, and those that have trouble with thinner handles will not, imo, with this one. I did not find it slippery at all.

I'm glad to hear that. I had thought with how thin it appears to be in pictures, combined with the length, it may want to twist in my grip.

Now they need to offer it with the Gentile head in gold! :001_tongu

First Shave Report:

Now, the handle is longer than I like, but like all my other long handle Fatips I didn't notice it. Which is great! It is a handle that looks like I could pole vault over my sink, or be used as a stirrer for a Gin and Tonic. I don't think I would want to leave it in my drink as a stirrer I might put my eye out. Seriously the handle is beautiful and well weighted. I love the crisscrossing lines on it. It really shines nicely under the Bathroom lighting, and definitely a pleasure to look at. It is definitely a thicker handle than my Piccolo, but not quite as thick as my Grande. Over all I like it. I surprisingly found it to be a very nice user friendly handle, and those that have trouble with thinner handles will not, imo, with this one. I did not find it slippery at all. Then I'm not one to notice such things, and I live in Colorado where we have very hard water. I love hard water. I would think every old school wet shaver should have hard water. Do they make water hardeners?

Rave
Given your collection, you must be the expert on handles for Fatip OC's, so let me ask you a question. I really enjoy my Piccolo, but on some days that tiny handle is difficult for my aging, arthritic fingers. I do have a vintage Durham Duplex handle, but I'm not crazy about it. Regardless of what some people say, the handles that work on Merkur, Edwin Jagger, RazoRock, Maggard, etc. razors do not actually fit a Fatip. I haven't found anyplace to buy just a handle, so I'm probably looking at purchasing another Fatip (or possibly Schone) razor to get a more comfortable handle. My preference is for a "standard" size handle like the knurled EJ89 or a Maggard MR11, although I do like the look of the new Fatip wooden handles. Anyway, which would you recommend?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Given your collection, you must be the expert on handles for Fatip OC's, so let me ask you a question. I really enjoy my Piccolo, but on some days that tiny handle is difficult for my aging, arthritic fingers. I do have a vintage Durham Duplex handle, but I'm not crazy about it. Regardless of what some people say, the handles that work on Merkur, Edwin Jagger, RazoRock, Maggard, etc. razors do not actually fit a Fatip. I haven't found anyplace to buy just a handle, so I'm probably looking at purchasing another Fatip (or possibly Schone) razor to get a more comfortable handle. My preference is for a "standard" size handle like the knurled EJ89 or a Maggard MR11, although I do like the look of the new Fatip wooden handles. Anyway, which would you recommend?
The Retros handle is thicker than a Piccolo, but not quite as thick as a Merkur 34c (almost). The handle is 3 1/2 inches long. I think the wood handle Fatips would fit the bill. They are 4 inches long with a chubby diameter. It's a bit thicker than my Muhle r89. I think it would be a good choice. They are treated hard wood where the water just rolls off, and I do not find them as slippery as my Muhle (something about wood vs. chrome I think).

I really enjoy my Piccolo, but on some days that tiny handle is difficult for my aging, arthritic fingers.
Hi Steve, I'm one of those guys that loves to keep to Original Equipment. But on reading your post I thought about my "spares box" favorite handle. That's the Phoenix 7075 Aluminum Bomb Tip (I have three of them). I thought "let's just see if it fits the Piccolo" and amazingly enough it's a great fit:
upload_2017-10-12_16-31-5.png

The Piccolo handle is 10mm diameter and weighs 42g.
The Phoenix 7075 is 12.6mm diameter and weighs 22g (that's the 3¼" version).

I see the aluminum handles are out of stock, but they have the 303 SS handles in.
The Phoenix 304 SS Bomb Tip will be the same dimensions as the aluminum one, and the 3¼" version weighs 59g.

I hope that's of some help.

Hi Steve, I'm one of those guys that loves to keep to Original Equipment. But on reading your post I thought about my "spares box" favorite handle. That's the Phoenix 7075 Aluminum Bomb Tip (I have three of them). I thought "let's just see if it fits the Piccolo" and amazingly enough it's a great fit:
View attachment 828396
The Piccolo handle is 10mm diameter and weighs 42g.
The Phoenix 7075 is 12.6mm diameter and weighs 22g (that's the 3¼" version).

I see the aluminum handles are out of stock, but they have the 303 SS handles in.
The Phoenix 304 SS Bomb Tip will be the same dimensions as the aluminum one, and the 3¼" version weighs 59g.

I hope that's of some help.
Thanks for the suggestion, but even though you obviously were able to use the Phoenix handle on your Fatip, it doesn't really fit. The thread sizes are (slightly) different. Sometimes they mate up well enough that it's hard or impossible to tell the difference, but over time the threads on either the razor or handle will deform. I don't remember offhand the different thread sizes, but among modern razors the only ones I know that match the Fatip are Joris, Schone and Boker.

Fatip/Schone handles require 4.5mm x 0.75mm pitch, while the standard size (i.e. for a Merkur) is 5mm x 0.80mm.

So if I knew someone making custom handles, I could just have them tap mine at M4.5 X 0.75. Any suggestions?

Wish I had somebody to recommend, but I'm not aware of anybody that does this.

I can tell you that you can make your own fairly easy and not outrageously expensive by using an automatic center punch handle (take out the guts, obviously) and tap out the end to suit your Fatip head. I've done this (for a Gillette head, though), and it took me less than 5 minutes. I'm on my phone now, and I'm a big dummy about linking, but there's some threads here on B&B about doing it.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Any machine shop local to you could tap a handle I would think.

I have a Sabi Long thats threaded for a Mach 3 adapter and I'd like an insert made for it so I could use it with both Gillette and Fatip, but I wont get to that for a while.

As far as handles themselves go, and possibly work done on one, you might try Triad. He does some very nice work.

by TriadRazorHandles

Thanks to Steve_in_CT's post, and me checking out the Phoenix Bomb Tip handle with the Piccolo... I couldn't resist trying it out.

An excellent shave, the Bomb Tip handle with the Fatip head was really good. I now understand why Rave likes all the different Fatip versions. It's like using a completely different razor.

So this was the inaugural shave for the new Fatip Bomb Tip. :punk:
Thanks for the suggestion, but even though you obviously were able to use the Phoenix handle on your Fatip, it doesn't really fit. The thread sizes are (slightly) different. Sometimes they mate up well enough that it's hard or impossible to tell the difference, but over time the threads on either the razor or handle will deform. I don't remember offhand the different thread sizes, but among modern razors the only ones I know that match the Fatip are Joris, Schone and Boker.
I completely understand your reticence regarding the different threads Steve. I know I wouldn't readily accept others opinions on stuff like this... especially knowing the way some folk seem to torque down their handles as if they were lug nuts on their cars. I've always had a great sense of feel ("magic hands" the ladies tell me:wink2:) and my razor handles never get any further than "finger tight."

In my box(es) of assorted DE razor oddments are many heads and handles. (Apart from the Fatips) all the other parts I have are either UTS 10-32 or Metric M5 x 0.8 (which are compatibleish). Many of these "compatible" parts I've tried out and stopped before reaching two turns (and that includes UTS to UTS and Metric to Metric)... so I was surprised when the Phoenix Bomb Tip screwed happily all the way onto the Fatip head (just as easily as the Piccolo handle itself).

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Thanks to Steve_in_CT's post, and me checking out the Phoenix Bomb Tip handle with the Piccolo... I couldn't resist trying it out.

An excellent shave, the Bomb Tip handle with the Fatip head was really good. I now understand why Rave likes all the different Fatip versions. It's like using a completely different razor.

So this was the inaugural shave for the new Fatip Bomb Tip. :punk:

I completely understand your reticence regarding the different threads Steve. I know I wouldn't readily accept others opinions on stuff like this... especially knowing the way some folk seem to torque down their handles as if they were lug nuts on their cars. I've always had a great sense of feel ("magic hands" the ladies tell me:wink2:) and my razor handles never get any further than "finger tight."

In my box(es) of assorted DE razor oddments are many heads and handles. (Apart from the Fatips) all the other parts I have are either UTS 10-32 or Metric M5 x 0.8 (which are compatibleish). Many of these "compatible" parts I've tried out and stopped before reaching two turns (and that includes UTS to UTS and Metric to Metric)... so I was surprised when the Phoenix Bomb Tip screwed happily all the way onto the Fatip head (just as easily as the Piccolo handle itself).
+1 I trust Cal a hundred percent with these things.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Just a quick update on the Retro handle. I was at work and looked at the Italian Barber for measurements on the Retro handle. I should have known better. They say on their site that the Gentile is gentle because the head curves the blade more than the Fatip Open Combs for instance. In reality the Gentile head is the same only with a bar.

The handle on the Retro is 3 3/4 inches or 95 mm long. It has a diameter of 3/8 of an inch or 9.5 mm.

My ideal I think would be 100x12mm, so thats close...
:001_huh: I don't understand all this "vaulting pole" length handle stuff. Mind you I suppose it doesn't really matter for "cap riders" (except for when they knock the windows out of course).

Good ol' King Gillette hit the nail on the head with the standard ≤3" handle IMO. Just sayin'. :001_tt2:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I did not find it slippery at all. Then I'm not one to notice such things, and I live in Colorado where we have very hard water. I love hard water. I would think every old school wet shaver should have hard water.

Round here old shavers are into hard cider.

Not me, of course.

I don't get these Joris razors. Besides the long handles what makes them special? Not saying a guy shouldn't have what a guy likes, but are these razors better made or what? What makes them so expensive?

Yeah, I'm displaying my ignorance again.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
:001_huh: I don't understand all this "vaulting pole" length handle stuff. Mind you I suppose it doesn't really matter for "cap riders" (except for when they knock the windows out of course).

Good ol' King Gillette hit the nail on the head with the standard ≤3" handle IMO. Just sayin'. :001_tt2:

I really dont mind the handle on my Grande, or NEW SC with the common bar handle. I think its that I used a Mach 3 for so many years, and I noticed this again in tonights shave, my little finger keeps hunting for something to ride on lol. I always end up with the hole on the base of the Grande handle perched on the side of my little finger and it works well. I'm still just not use to it.

Breaking nearly 30 years of habit aint easy! lol

To the handle being slippery. I almost dropped it into the sink tonight! Not a fault of the handle I dont think, but I did have lather in my fingers and when I lowered my hand to rinse the razor, it nearly slipped from my fingers.

You know that moment when you just barely escape disaster and you get that warm/hot rush of adrenalin? LOL

Top Bottom