What's new

Fatip issue

Hi all,

I recently bought a Fatip retro OC from a Spanish vendor. I have tried their Picollo model in the past but I did not like it. From what I have heard Fatip have changed their OC heads and indeed this retro model shaves much better. There seems to be less blade exposure on it compared to the Picollo I had in 2017. I also like the longer handle on this retro model better.
However, on some closer Iook I noticed a flaw at the bottom of the handle. It seems like a little crack or something. I have heard that Fatip razors do not have very good QC especially when it comes to blade alignment and plating. I do not mind aligning the blade before a shave but I somehow cannot accept the flaw on my new razor.
I contacted the vendor in Spain but their customer service does not seem very good. The person who works for them speaks some broken English. She keeps asking me to send more photos and to send her the razor ref number that is on their website. She can find this ref number herself and the pics that I send are clear enough in my opinion. She also says that she will contact Fatip about it. I wonder do this vendor not check the razors they receive? If there are some flaws they should return it right away to the manufacturer. The packages are not sealed and they can be opened.
Has anyone had similar issues with their Fatips and if yes have you managed to get some compensation?

Attachments

• IMG_20220922_104024.jpg
    IMG_20220922_104024.jpg
    707.9 KB · Views: 150
I have the Piccolo Mk1 and and the Piccolo Special Edition which was the Mk2 and like that Piccolo handle which is a one piece handle. The Mk2 cap is wider and has less blade exposure as a result.
I think your handle (Nichelato I think) looks like the cap has been inserted into the handle tube which is showing a bit missing where it has chipped when cut off or maybe a poor casting. That is not acceptable and poor quality control so it should be replaced.
I don't think vendors check the products carefully these days and just ship them straight out, relying on the manufacturer's quality control solely.

I don't have a Retro, but have several other Fatips. It seems that handle is hollow with a metal cap. That looks like a defect and you should get a new razor in exchange.

Stores don't usually inspect everything before shipping it out. As @Invicta said, they are depending on the manufacturer to do the quality control. Every manufactured good has some percentage of defects (hopefully very small). You were unlucky this time, but the store should be willing to exchange the razor.

I have the Piccolo Mk1 and and the Piccolo Special Edition which was the Mk2 and like that Piccolo handle which is a one piece handle. The Mk2 cap is wider and has less blade exposure as a result.
I think your handle (Nichelato I think) looks like the cap has been inserted into the handle tube which is showing a bit missing where it has chipped when cut off or maybe a poor casting. That is not acceptable and poor quality control so it should be replaced.
I don't think vendors check the products carefully these days and just ship them straight out, relying on the manufacturer's quality control solely.
I got the chrome plated one. Plating looks fine to me.

So here is a little update. The vendor replied with a solution which I personally think is a joke. What do you think?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-09-30-23-58-28-327_com.google.android.gm.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-09-30-23-58-28-327_com.google.android.gm.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 103
So here is a little update. The vendor replied with a solution which I personally think is a joke. What do you think?
They are trying to save on international shipping, I guess.

Maybe you could ask them to send you another handle for no extra charge? Then you would not have to return anything to them and shipping would be less.

They do not sell those handles separately so do not think this is an option. They told me they would contact Fatip about that so could that be what Fatip advised this vendor? Or maybe they never contacted Fatip. I once ordered an Yaqi brush and it had an flaw. Yaqi sent another one to me and told me to keep the first one. Giftsandcare is one of the biggest retailers in Europe. They ship all over the world. Shipping costs should not be a problem for them. I have ordered a couple of times from them and they never insert any gifts in the package like samples or whatever. I do not think I will order from them again.

Sorry for your "issue" I know how much I enjoy ordering and receiving a new razor and I could only imagine how I'd feel in same situation.

As for proposal - I'd take 50% off and order Grande i.e. Fatip is well notorious for all kinds of issues and yes it is part of the "Fatip game" which I'm partial loser myself 😁

And as a Fatip-fan, if you enjoy Fatip OCs, maybe try Muhle R41 or Merkur? If your vendor is G&C with discount it could be fairly cheap, quality is unmatched and shave feel is on par. So it might be a good deal.

And just to cheer you up, see my Piccolo SE: Fatip razor (pros & cons) - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/fatip-razor-pros-cons.625267/post-11835989 so it's just Fatip ☺️ if it shave nice... try living with it if not... ditch the bastard 😁 I like it, probably would like to have one Fatip in my den at any given moment

Last edited:
They do not sell those handles separately so do not think this is an option. They told me they would contact Fatip about that so could that be what Fatip advised this vendor? Or maybe they never contacted Fatip. I once ordered an Yaqi brush and it had an flaw. Yaqi sent another one to me and told me to keep the first one. Giftsandcare is one of the biggest retailers in Europe. They ship all over the world. Shipping costs should not be a problem for them. I have ordered a couple of times from them and they never insert any gifts in the package like samples or whatever. I do not think I will order from them again.
Why not ask G&C via email, instead of assuming? They aren't selling you a handle, they are replacing one in a less expensive way, as a retailer. You aren't satisfied with the 50% off offer, so why not see what else they will offer?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hi all,

I recently bought a Fatip retro OC from a Spanish vendor. I have tried their Picollo model in the past but I did not like it. From what I have heard Fatip have changed their OC heads and indeed this retro model shaves much better. There seems to be less blade exposure on it compared to the Picollo I had in 2017. I also like the longer handle on this retro model better.
However, on some closer Iook I noticed a flaw at the bottom of the handle. It seems like a little crack or something. I have heard that Fatip razors do not have very good QC especially when it comes to blade alignment and plating. I do not mind aligning the blade before a shave but I somehow cannot accept the flaw on my new razor.
I contacted the vendor in Spain but their customer service does not seem very good. The person who works for them speaks some broken English. She keeps asking me to send more photos and to send her the razor ref number that is on their website. She can find this ref number herself and the pics that I send are clear enough in my opinion. She also says that she will contact Fatip about it. I wonder do this vendor not check the razors they receive? If there are some flaws they should return it right away to the manufacturer. The packages are not sealed and they can be opened.
Has anyone had similar issues with their Fatips and if yes have you managed to get some compensation?

WOW, I agree with you, that is totally not acceptable from a brand new razor. Unfortunately, Fatip is known for bad QC, and if they had quality QC, they would have spotted that before it got packaged up. But Fatip is known for both making really nice razors, but also, a lot of defective razors as well. I really wish that Fatip would step up their quality. But then again, look how cheap the razors are! I was able to get my gold one for like 31 dollars! Most other gold plated razors cost more then that! So I suppose you could say that you get what you pay for.

But at the same time, your always playing the lottery when it comes to buying Fatip razors. I got lucky and won the blade alignment lottery. At least, it seems like I have, as the blade always seems to be aligned by the naked eye. But if I need to have a micrometer tool in order to spot misalignment, then its IMO, the alignment is good enough!

The companies response may seem a bit on the strange side, but it does appear that they are trying to make it right. So, I say, just work with the company and see where it goes. If they do good, write them a good review to state so. If they double down and do a terrible job in the end, then state that in a negative review. One way or the other, I hope you get this resolved.

My Fatip Grande OC Gold Razor
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

I have made many online purchases with Gifts&Care, always gotten a very good customer's service. Twice I have experienced and aftershave 400 ml bottle where the cap was not screwed on tight enough, so it was leaking slightly when I received it. Both times G&C sent me an entirely new bottle (400ml) free of charge, no questions asked once I had sent a picture of the leaking bottle.
So -- I am surprised of what you write. You should be able to simply return the razor if you don't like it (or exchange it for another one), you are entitled to do that with any purchase you make according to EU law (within 30 days of purchase). You may have to pay for the return shipping yourself, unfortunately that is the name of the game when it comes to online shipping.

As for the razor, you have been unfortunate. I have three Fatips (Gentile, Piccolo, Grande), they are great razors. After all, they are for shaving, not just for admiring the craftsmanship. I prefer a Fatip (OC) to the Muhle R41. One thing with the Fatip is, somehow the difference between different blades comes out more clearly in the Fatip than any other razor I know. So you really get some bang for the buck when it comes to making the most of different types of blades.

Don't give up.

I just ran into this thread. Isn't the Retro like a $25 razor?
I get that it came flawed but at $25, it seems like a lot of work & cost to get this resolved for a customer & company that aren't in the same country. It's gonna cost more to ship round trip than the actual cost of the razor!
In a case like this I'd just ask for a credit or just let the issue go entirely. But that's just me!

I accepted 50 procent return on the price and they also gave me a 10 procent discount code for future purchases but somehow I am still not satisfied with their customer service and I do not think I would order from them again. The people they hire should at least speak some decent English and not use Google Translate provided that they ship all over the world and not just Spain and EU.

I just ran into this thread. Isn't the Retro like a $25 razor?
I get that it came flawed but at $25, it seems like a lot of work & cost to get this resolved for a customer & company that aren't in the same country. It's gonna cost more to ship round trip than the actual cost of the razor!
In a case like this I'd just ask for a credit or just let the issue go entirely. But that's just me!
Shipping is 8 euro to where I live and does it really matter how much a product costs? It is a big company so they can afford to pay for the shipping.

Shipping is 8 euro to where I live and does it really matter how much a product costs? It is a big company so they can afford to pay for the shipping.
OK! Glad you got it resolved even though it wasn't to your satisfaction.
LRod

I accepted 50 procent return on the price and they also gave me a 10 procent discount code for future purchases but somehow I am still not satisfied with their customer service and I do not think I would order from them again. The people they hire should at least speak some decent English and not use Google Translate provided that they ship all over the world and not just Spain and EU.
Frankly, your continued complaining seems unreasonable. What particularly irks me is your remark that G&C staff should " speak decent English".
Dare I ask, how "decent" is your Spanish..? After all Spanish is also a widely used "lingua franca" (international common language), and not just within the EU..!! You should be thankful when people attempt to speak English given your apparent lacking ability to speak anything else. Complaining that they don't speak it "decently" is nothing short of arrogant.
As for the Fatip razor, you now got 50% off a razor which is really pretty cheap in the first place. So what's the big deal ..., really.

How do you know that I do not speak any other languages apart from English? I do speak 3 foreign languages. Yes I keep complaining because I am not satisfied with what they did. Other companies I have dealt with would send me another item and ask me to keep the one I have received. This is what I call quality customer service.

Top Bottom