What's new

Fatip Piccolo and paa doc

I am working if the Fatip Piccolo and the original paa doc would be a good set up to have. The Fatip being a little more aggressive for those going out nights and the doc for buffing or the days you just want to relax and shave. The Piccolo I'm talking about is the mk2 version. Or would the fatip and razorock sloc be better. I am starting to think the contrast with the paa would be of use. Does anyone know if the sloc is similar aggressive as the Piccolo mk2? If so they would be to similar to add to each other.

Both are good combinations.
Many found the original PAA too mild, the Sloc is definitely a step up in efficiency compared to the PAA but not as aggressive as the Fatip.

Would it be good to own a supper mild razor? It seems in the lay out the design of the paa doc is more similar to the origanal than the sloc. And it appears paa came out with the idea of recreating this classic then razorock jumped on board. I have watched some videos and it seems some people love the paa and some don't. I just kinda wished razorock would have done something to the sloc to make it theirs.

I think the Fatip combo with the SLOC (or Yaqi DOC) is a good one. The original PAA DOC is very mild, depending on your beard it might be OK. (The Yaqi DOC head can be ordered from Amazon for $5 including shipping from China. It takes a couple of weeks).

The Fatip excels for shaving every other day or if you have a heavy beard it can b used every day. You need good technique to avoid irritation, but it will give a very close shave with a good blade and shaving angle.

If you want an additional mild razor, you couldl get a vintage Gillette Tech, new Baili Tech clone, or a new Baili TTO Super Speed clone. This could be nice for days when you just want a relaxed, comfortable shave.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The Piccolo SE comes with both the OC and Gentile SB plates. That one razor may serve both of your requirements in on very reasonably priced razor.

If you absolutely want one of the Dual Open Comb razors, I have both the RR SLOC and the PAA DOC and would definitely go with the RR SLOC.

YMMV

I don't know why I want to like the paa. I guess because it was the original remake. Or maybe such a contrast to the Piccolo. Hmm

I guess I would ask is the sloc a aggressive razor or similar to the Piccolo? Mk2 version of the Piccolo

Does the sloc retain lather and water as good as the paa. It just appears the paa looks like it does retain the water and watching the videos whereas the sloc clears everything with one sweep

Does the sloc retain lather and water as good as the paa. It just appears the paa looks like it does retain the water and watching the videos whereas the sloc clears everything with one sweep
The PAA doc does retain lather and water, but it is extremely mild. I was unable to get a close shave without irritation. Also, I found the handle not grippy enough and difficult to shave with. I have a RR SLOC, but have not shaved with it. I will try to in the next few days and get back to you with a comparison!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Would it be good to own a supper mild razor? It seems in the lay out the design of the paa doc is more similar to the origanal than the sloc. And it appears paa came out with the idea of recreating this classic then razorock jumped on board. I have watched some videos and it seems some people love the paa and some don't. I just kinda wished razorock would have done something to the sloc to make it theirs.
I do find the SLOC is on the mild side compared to my SE Piccolo, but when I want pair a really mild OC razor with my Piccolo, it would be my Merkur15C. It is so light I can just flick it around and is just as efficient as the SLOC, and I think it is more comfortable. YMMV
My SLOC does a good job holding lather in the cap, it gives a nice shave, nothing spectacular. The SLOC cap will fit a Piccolo, but I haven't tried it.

The PAA doc does retain lather and water, but it is extremely mild. I was unable to get a close shave without irritation. Also, I found the handle not grippy enough and difficult to shave with. I have a RR SLOC, but have not shaved with it. I will try to in the next few days and get back to you with a comparison!
Did you shave with the sloc? Did it hold the water and lather as well as the paa doc?

Just finished up my shave with the SLOC. Fresh Astra SP, and WSP mahogany model T soap. The shave went well. It is very mild compared to my timeless and blackbird. But, I was able to get a better shave than my PAA DOC could give, I think due to it being more efficient. It took 4 passes to get a CCS. It did retain lather and water, making buffing very easy. I would say it was slightly less than the DOC left behind, but more than enough for it's intended purpose. Being how cheap it is, there's no reason to not try the SLOC.

...Did it hold the water and lather as well as the paa doc?
There is a good method when using the SLOC. Keep a bowl of warm water by the sink. Dip the razor in the bowl from time to time as you shave. The SLOC will pick up extra water and lather from the bowl. The cut whiskers will fall to the bottom of the bowl and don't get "recycled". Use a soap with a lot of residual slickness and the SLOC becomes one of the best buffing razors around.

Fatip special edition ; $35 gives you both OC CC. Or a DE89 clone + Oldstyle clone w one handle...even cheaper....
I bought the special edition, and I must say its great!
I mostly shave with a straight, but on the odd days when I am pushed for time, the Piccolo comes out and does a great job. I started with the closed comb, but now I just use the open comb, if you are used to a straight, it's a walk in the park. It has never given me a serious bite, and as far as irritation goes, very little, just when I get too enthusiastic.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It has never given me a serious bite, and as far as irritation goes, very little, just when I get too enthusiastic.

Angle is everything with a Fatip OC. A slight change of handle angle, 10° or even less, will take it from mild to wild.

Shallow angle (riding the cap): 22° (yellow to red)
Steep angle (riding the guard): 26° (yellow to blue)
upload_2018-1-10_23-52-20.png

A whole 4° difference from one extreme to the other.

Thats the nice thing about Fatips, the ideal angle of use is in there, it just needs to be found. Using my Grande extremely shallow I dont even feel the blade and when using a Gillette Yellow I dont even hear it cutting.

Thats not easy to get use to though. We're use to having some feedback and when faced with having none at all, I at least, tended to compensate for that by adjusting either angle or pressure so that I could feel or hear the blade. That can be a mistake.

if you are used to a straight, it's a walk in the park.

I'm not use to using a straight and have only had a single shave with one, but thats exactly how I think of my Grande. A straight with a training wheel, the cap.

With the pressure I apply to the cap, between the green lines below, the blades edge is at much the same angle as it would be using a straight with very little to no pressure at all on the blades edge.

Grande.Pressure.Point.JPG

Used at that angle, I feel nothing and hear very little.

Top Bottom