What's new

Fatip Grande Safety Razor

Raven Koenes

My precious!
It is an excellent smooth shaving and efficient open comb aggressive razor. It is all brass including the head. The handle diameter is in between a 34c and Muhle handles. It is a hollow brass handle, and the total razor is about the same size as a Merkur 34c. It weighs 66 grams in all. Don't expect Muhle quality chrome plating more in line with Merkur plating. There are machine marks and certain flaws in the finish. I personally, and many Fatip users, feel it gives them a certain character. Some people have complained about blade alignment. I own three Fatips and have had no real issue with any of that, and if I did I would simply tweak. The handle is not slippery and the razor has good weight and balance. If you wanted to switch out handles the screw is an odd size and not all handles will fit it from what I hear. I like the handle as is on all Fatips. For an aggressive razor it is very smooth. That can lead you into a false sense of security, on the other hand it is what makes it such an excellent efficient razor, and did I mention it is all brass? That is a definite plus in this day and age of three piece razor production and the price is unbeatable in that regard.

Last edited:
I hate the handle, but otherwise a nice razor. Quite aggressive, but smooth if you use a shallow angle.

I also have its cousin, the Fatip Testina Gentile, which is also a really nice razor, and a little bit milder but still plenty aggressive. Both razors are plagued by blade alignment issues, but if you visually align it every time you load a blade, it works out fine. There were a lot of QC issues in the past, but recently it seems that the quality has improved.

When I started DE shaving in November, I wasn't making fast enough progress with my Weishi 9306 (bad workman blames his tools), so I ordered a Fatip Grande, and as soon as it was delivered I sold the Weishi.
I had a bptism by fire developing my technique the hard way with the Fatip Grande - a lot of irritation, weepers, nicks and I even sliced an inch long vertical sliver out of my throat just to the right of my Adam's Apple - and I've got a reddish battlescar to this day to prove it !!
On a positive note I learned fast and hard and I was getting consistently good shaves within a few weeks.
Alignment was a pain in the neck, and after adding newer and better razors to my rotation, the Fatip Grande only got used once every 2 or 3 months, and without much enjoyment

As a twist of fate, I bought a Weishi 9306CL just before Christmas and liked it a lot - so much so that I sold the Fatip Grande on eBay shortly afterwards !!

I know a lot of people on here like their Fatip Grandes, but I personally wouldn't want another one.

YMMV

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I hate the handle, but otherwise a nice razor. Quite aggressive, but smooth if you use a shallow angle.

I also have its cousin, the Fatip Testina Gentile, which is also a really nice razor, and a little bit milder but still plenty aggressive. Both razors are plagued by blade alignment issues, but if you visually align it every time you load a blade, it works out fine. There were a lot of QC issues in the past, but recently it seems that the quality has improved.

I'm trying out my new Fatip Testina Gentile this coming Monday for the first time after a month with my Piccolo. I'm really hoping to find it both efficient and a razor that I could recommend to newbies as an option. I can't wait to give it go.

Fatips are great, but you should definitely expect more blade alignment issues than with other razors. I have both a grande and a piccolo and I love them, but neither of them has ever aligned right the first time I tighten after changing the blade. I'm talking about comically obvious, leaps-right-out-at-you angle and blade issues. Nothing that can't be fixed by realigning and trying again, sometimes more than once.

Once everything is aligned, they are fine, efficient and aggressive razors. And you just can't get anything else that doesn't include cheap pot metal at this price point. If they improved their quality control so that each Fatip was not its own unique special snowflake in terms of finish and alignment, their razors would be a steal at twice their current price.

I've had two. The first had the alignment issue that wasn't fixable. Always significantly more blade span on one side. The second one still has alignment issues, but with care, I can get it pretty close to even on both sides. If it wasn't for the alignment issues, it might be my favorite razor.

If you get a good one it is an excellent razor. I had a Fatip that was always crooked and would not align straight. I asked my vendor for an exchange and am now a happy customer.

My Fatip is perfect and fantastic! Alignment is on the money, and it is one of my favorite razors. It's all brass, has good weight, and is one of those razors that everyone should have at least one of.

I've been using my Grande since June of this year. No alignment issues. Great, efficient shaver that works equally well with my favorite blades (Astra SP & Personna reds).

One word of caution: If looks are really important to you, do not get the gun metal finish. I did and it has just about all worn off. Doesn't bother me, but others may be put off by it. Here's a couple pics from a week or so ago.

$grande~3.jpg$grande~4.jpg

I've been using my Grande since June of this year. No alignment issues. Great, efficient shaver that works equally well with my favorite blades (Astra SP & Personna reds).

One word of caution: If looks are really important to you, do not get the gun metal finish. I did and it has just about all worn off. Doesn't bother me, but others may be put off by it. Here's a couple pics from a week or so ago.

View attachment 690602View attachment 690603

Wow. That finish really didn't hold up well. I started with a Gunmetal version, but it had major alignment issues. The replacement I got was a gold and finish looks exactly the same as when I got it.

I have two Piccolos. Neither of them has any serious alignment issues. The plating is good. They are great shavers. At some point they changed the design of their top cap. The ones being made today are a bit less aggressive than the older ones. Both of mine are the newer model. The Piccolo is my #2 favorite safety razor so far.

I love my Piccolo. As far as blade alignment, I can assemble it pretty crooked if I try to. But it it aligns straight enough without any real effort. I usually just throw it together and barely glance at it just like any of my other razors. It's never so far off that it causes any issues. I would get the Piccolo for the shorter, heavier handle if I were you, but that's certainly a YMMV thing. Don't be afraid get one you'll love it.

Excuse me but I the Merkur 41C/1904 is and with open combs that was the Reason for comparing the Fatip one 1000 Thanks!

Top Bottom