What's new

Fan of two-band badgers: 24mm Yaqi and 23mm Shavemac

I love my two fan brushes. I did want to compare them without regard to price and give my short-term opinions for y'all to consider. I've had about 15 shaves with the Yaqi, and about 5 with the Shavemac. I'm completely guessing at these numbers because I don't actually count them (unlike my blades).

This Yaqi fan was first:

Because I loved it so much, I bought a 23mm Shavemac knot, the silvertip fan (the regular two-band, not the D01) to put into a custom handle.

Both brushes are fantastic. The Shavemac is definitely softer. The Yaqi is definitely denser. They both perform as well as each other. I think I like the denser feel. Both are soft enough to make my face happy—I really can't tell a difference in 'scritch'. The Yaqi did have significantly more funk that took a couple days (about 2 total) to clean out. The Shavemac had no funk and was ready to roll. I do wonder if the Shavemac D01 fan is closer to this Yaqi. I cannot know. Suffice to say, I am happy to own both, and yes, even considering the price.

To those wondering about exploring a badger, this particular Yaqi can compete with the best of them, in my opinion. I wholeheartedly recommend it. To those who wonder if the Shavemac is worth it, I can wholeheartedly recommend it. There are only winners here.

Both are an improvement on the Simpson's best badger I purchased more than a decade ago. Not a slam on Simpson's at all, since the hair quality is indeed different.

Great review!! Love the comparison, and it is tough to pick a ‘favorite child!’ :a29:

I have two Shavemac 2-bands, both fans that are simply excellent!!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm a big fan of two band and finest brushes.

10-12-19.Torrey.DB.Yaqi.Kit.640.JPGGD-Mallard-Fougere.5-14-19.Kit.350.Yaqi.640JPG.JPG

These ^ are my two Yaqi two bands.

2-23-20.Kinfoks#2.VitosESC.Stirling26.Kit.640.JPG2-3-20.Kinfolks#2.Kit.ABC.StirlingMarble.640.JPG7-22-19.Wade.Kit.640.GDMB.StirlingFan.JPG

These ^ are my Stirling "finest" brushes (which is what Stirling calls the two bands).

I like all of these brushes. None were expensive.

Happy shaves,

Jim

My Maggard two band badger knot in a Made-Rite handle may be my favorite badger brush, despite (or maybe because of) its small size and very modest price. I just ordered a Yaqi 26 mm two band with the Moka Express handle. I loved that handle, but not the knot when I owned the synthetic version. If it's anything like the Maggard two band, I'll be thrilled.

Top Bottom