What's new

Fall/Winter Creams

I performed a search but could not find any threads on preferred creams for the colder months. So, given the time of year, this seems ripe for discussion.

I recently tried Musgo Real for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It seems particularly well suited to the colder months. It is difficult to describe the smell. Some have called it hay or cut grass. I believe Musgo itself calls the scent "hayflower". Spouse called it "definitely earthy". However you may describe it, Musgo Real certainly seems to have a "heavier" scent which is appropriate for the fall and winter.

Are there any other creams out there that seem well suited for crisp air and the smell of burning firewood?

+1 on vetiver creams/soaps. The "smokey" note always reminds me of a crackling fire. I like Speick in the winter as well. As I think of my cream/soap stash I bet almond (e.g. C&E's Sweet Almond), T&H's Trafalgar or Grafton, and J. Peterman 1903 would be nice too.

--Mark

Interesting. I think of the kind of grassy smell of Musgo as very much summer.

For winter, all the sandalwoods come to mind, especially Trumper. If anything goes with crisp air and burning firewood, that's it. Also Floris Santal. Sweet, warm, and spicy.

J. Peterman is a nice winter scent too.

-Mo

I like any of the warmer scents in winter - vetiver, sandalwood, TGQ has some very nice soaps like Leatherneck and Cavendish Black that are perfect for winter. I also like C&E Nomad and Siena in the colder months.

Jordan

This pertains to soap rather than cream....I live south of Houston, so it's not really been that cold here. But it has "cooled" off a little and I've been using "Bay Rum & Sandalwood" soap from Ogalalla Bay Rum and it's been a very pleasant scent for the cooler weather.

I tend to stick to balms in the winter, and because of this I try to make sure I layer them w/the same cream. So based on that, I stick w/almond, sandalwood, and possibly lavender as I have a couple of heavier balms in those scents.

If you haven't tried them, Caswell Massey balms are a bit on the heavy side and the scents/performance from them are excellent. The CM almond has a scent akin to eshave almond or Conk almond, and my CM Sandalwood is spot on to my C&E Sandalwood (IMO).

If it's not that cold, or I want a chill, I can use my CAR peppermint conditioner so that opens up to my mint/cooling creams. It's cooling, but still provides enough moisture for the winter.

Interesting. I think of the kind of grassy smell of Musgo as very much summer.

For winter, all the sandalwoods come to mind, especially Trumper. If anything goes with crisp air and burning firewood, that's it. Also Floris Santal. Sweet, warm, and spicy.

J. Peterman is a nice winter scent too.

-Mo

+1 on the Santal.

call me crazy but i used Proraso green all last winter and it worked great. after a while my body became used to the coolness of the feeling.. but yeah getting a smoky scented cream would be nice... the only thing i have is a vetiver but that's more of a cardboard/clay smell (cyril salter)

call me crazy but i used Proraso green all last winter and it worked great. after a while my body became used to the coolness of the feeling.. but yeah getting a smoky scented cream would be nice... the only thing i have is a vetiver but that's more of a cardboard/clay smell (cyril salter)

You are crazy!:wink:

I would gladly wear Santal year round, but it is more of a cold weather scent imo.

I would love for C.O. Bigelow to bring out some other creams in their scents. I have the Black Elixir #1 body wash and I'm in love! Clove, vanilla, and wood, it's excellent! Perfect winter scent.

I'll second the C&E Sweet Almond --very nice this time of year. The discontinued Palmolive Red is nice. Also, KMF Vanilla and surprisingly, Arko Commando fit the bill as well.

-- John Gehman

I can use Proraso and Tom's of Maine Mint, all year around. :biggrin:
Either one of these will wake you up. Of course, being in Texas, I don't know if I'd use them if I was in Canada. 25 below would be a bit much.

+1 on the J Peterman. I bought a few samples from Joshua, and decided to add the Peterman to my order on a whim, and glad I did. It's really nice stuff, and definitely suitable for the colder days.

This will only be my second winter we tshaving so I don't think I have much to offer other than I do need a more moisturizing shave than in the summer. This means no soap. Creams only. C&E Almond Oil first choice. However, I've heard the Mitchell's Wood Fat Soap is great in the winter.

I also found last winter that another element of cold weather (read "low humidity or dry weather") shaving is the blade. A blade that worked fine in the summer is a little too aggressive in the winter. For me, Feathers are just too much for me in the winter so last year I stepped "down" to a Derby. Less aggressive, much more comfortable but when the humidity came up I had to dump the Derby's and return to the Feathers. The Derby's just won't cut well for me when it's humid.

That's a long winded way of saying "One should try the blade sampler pack again in the winter just to see if you like the same blade(s) you did in the summer."

Based on some of the advice here I have purchased Salter's Vetiver cream, Floris Santal cream, and QED sandalwood. The foregoing plus my Musgo Real complete my winter line up for this year.

I will tell you all that I haven't made up my mind about vetiver yet. Sure, it is smokey smelling, and that is being kind. Some might call the smell raunchy. Whatever it is, it is by far the strongest smelling and longest lasting scent of any shaving soap or cream product I have ever used. Hell, the smell lingers on everything it touches for a whole day. Kinda like skunk, you can't get it off. I used it yesterday, and the smell didn't come off until I showered and shaved again this morning.

The Santal is luxurious and smells wonderful. Obviously, the Santal is a hit. I usually do not like soaps, but the QED sandalwood is also a hit.

Top Bottom