What's new

Fake Baseball

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
The last game I saw with my Dad was in those seats!

Cecil Fielder hit a home run to center field that was about ten feet high when it crossed over second base! It then went over the wall by probably thirty feet. To this day I've never seen a rocket like that.

If not for the seats I think that thing would still be rolling!
I think it was WP Kinsella who wrote that if there weren't fences in the outfield all of the world would be fair territory.

MLB implemented the rule, which puts a runner at second base to start each extra half-inning, to help speed the game along this season. The league doesn't want games going deep into extra innings during the COVID-19 pandemic.

I say what difference does it make? No one's there!!!

I think it's more about getting the players back to the hotels quicker. Also a test bed for when fans DO return.

For me, baseball is about the long season, pennant race and watching in the stands!

I am taking a pass this year. Sad, but true! :sob: :sob:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I don’t care much for the new rules.

But I do find it ironic that the Rangers spent a boatload of money to build a new stadium only to play before cardboard fans.
The Rangers didn’t spend any money, the city’s tax payers did. The bonds the Rangers took out will be paid back by sales tax revenues. Billionaire owners keep pulling this scam, and cities keep falling for it.

I'm so happy baseball is back. I've watched every Astros game so far.

The lack of background stadium noise is great. Makes it easier to listen for trashcans.

Go Astros!!

[Snip] perhaps lower league or local sport may be the answer for me.

DO IT! Seriously, a local second level minor league team is the best! The whole experience is usually much cheaper. And whatever the metric equivalent of a hot dog and a beer is tastes just as good at 2/3 the price. You can usually sit much closer to the field. And the kids playing are really hungry, thus they play harder. Plus there's almost always a giveaway.

On the issue at hand, baseball with a laughtrack, eh. On one hand it's as ridiculous as Scooby-Doo. I'd rather it weren't there personally. However, in empty stadiums, voices can carry very well. And to be honest, I'm much more willing to watch my beloved O's (Ravens or Capitols for that matter) with my kids if we can't hear what the players are saying. We have pretty good censors here, but that's asking a lot. At the end of the day, though, I'm happy to have live sports again. Happy enough to live with the Scooby-Doo laugh tracks.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I've been to only two MLB games. The first was 1970 in the Astrodome...Astros vs Mets. My dad bought me a small bat and an Astro's pennant. Wish I still had those. The Mets won 2-1. Then in 1996 I went to another MLB game in the Astrodome...Astros vs Mets. The Mets won 2-1.

How 'Bout Them Mets?
😁

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’d love to watch but I paid for MLB At Bat so I’m stuck with a blackout restriction while the Cubs play the Reds. I still can not believe considering all that’s has happened they do blackout restrictions. Fans have no option but to watch on TV Or streaming! So yeah, makes total sense to blackout some games. even during a 60 game season!!! This might be the single thing that pisses me off the most this year. So far.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'm so happy baseball is back. I've watched every Astros game so far.

The lack of background stadium noise is great. Makes it easier to listen for trashcans.

Go Astros!!

I remember during Spring Training they got beamed more than any other team. Which seemed sort of unfair considering all the guilty players are gone. I was looking forward to watching their first season away game.

Top Bottom