What's new

Fake Astra SP?

What razor(s) are you using? Maybe it’s Voodoo but as much as I like a Nacet in my Schick Krona there are other razors where I find them bitey and uncomfortable.
When I made the switch from Feather -> Astra I was only using the Twig. (My 15 years with Feather were all with the Merkur 34C, the only razor I had for all those years).

Since the shave was so poor all of sudden with Astra I've been on a razor purchase spree, hoping to find that magical smoothness again. I have since then bought and tried (in no particular order):
- Rockwell 6C
- Focus R48
- King C. Gillette
- Broman

I also have incoming:
- Henson medium (which I just received)
- Mamba 53 (will likely buy the 70 also)
- Feather Popular
- Maxwell June
- Mars razor (Mars Home - https://www.marsrazor.com/ : just had to try it :) )

I prefer mild razors.

(On a side note: after all the rave reviews the 6C was extremely disappointing with all plates. But maybe it was the Astra blade... If I could I'd sell it here, but I can't sell anything yet)

When I made the switch from Feather -> Astra I was only using the Twig. (My 15 years with Feather were all with the Merkur 34C, the only razor I had for all those years).

Since the shave was so poor all of sudden with Astra I've been on a razor purchase spree, hoping to find that magical smoothness again. I have since then bought and tried (in no particular order):
- Rockwell 6C
- Focus R48
- King C. Gillette
- Broman

I also have incoming:
- Henson medium (which I just received)
- Mamba 53 (will likely buy the 70 also)
- Feather Popular
- Maxwell June
- Mars razor (Mars Home - https://www.marsrazor.com/ : just had to try it :) )

I prefer mild razors.

(On a side note: after all the rave reviews the 6C was extremely disappointing with all plates. But maybe it was the Astra blade... If I could I'd sell it here, but I can't sell anything yet)
Okay, AD‘s (acquisition disorders) in full swing ;) - been there as well…

I know it’s tempting to mix and match all the new stuff but I would suggest to try every new blade first with the razor you know best (34C) and then look for other suitable combos.

I've thought about that as well. Problem is that I've had maybe half a dozen comfortable shaves with the 34C in 15 years, so I'm conditioned to think that it's simply not a comfortable razor. I don't associate it with anything positive at this point. So if a blade feels bad, I won't be sure if it's the blade or the 34C.
Overall I liked the Twig much more than the 34C. In fact I never tried the 34C with the good Astras - wish I had now.

Otoh, I can hardly draw any conclusions from a bad experience with a new blade AND razor.

Decisions...

Interesting. I started using Astra SP a couple of years ago. At the time I was buying them in town by the tuck at a men's store; the laser version. Then he got in some printed ones. Seemed to shave the same but not as pretty.

I decided I liked them well enough to buy 300 of them. I am part way through the first box. The blades have been the printed version with two glue spots in a plain wrapper, but I just pulled out a fresh tuck and they have the bold print, printed blade, and four glue spots. Again, seem to shave just fine.

Wish they'd pick a version and stick to it, but we wouldn't have anything to speculate about. Well...:)

O.H.

Top Bottom