What's new

Fake Astra SP?

What razor(s) are you using? Maybe it’s Voodoo but as much as I like a Nacet in my Schick Krona there are other razors where I find them bitey and uncomfortable.
When I made the switch from Feather -> Astra I was only using the Twig. (My 15 years with Feather were all with the Merkur 34C, the only razor I had for all those years).

Since the shave was so poor all of sudden with Astra I've been on a razor purchase spree, hoping to find that magical smoothness again. I have since then bought and tried (in no particular order):
- Rockwell 6C
- Focus R48
- King C. Gillette
- Broman

I also have incoming:
- Henson medium (which I just received)
- Mamba 53 (will likely buy the 70 also)
- Feather Popular
- Maxwell June
- Mars razor (Mars Home - https://www.marsrazor.com/ : just had to try it :) )

I prefer mild razors.

(On a side note: after all the rave reviews the 6C was extremely disappointing with all plates. But maybe it was the Astra blade... If I could I'd sell it here, but I can't sell anything yet)

When I made the switch from Feather -> Astra I was only using the Twig. (My 15 years with Feather were all with the Merkur 34C, the only razor I had for all those years).

Since the shave was so poor all of sudden with Astra I've been on a razor purchase spree, hoping to find that magical smoothness again. I have since then bought and tried (in no particular order):
- Rockwell 6C
- Focus R48
- King C. Gillette
- Broman

I also have incoming:
- Henson medium (which I just received)
- Mamba 53 (will likely buy the 70 also)
- Feather Popular
- Maxwell June
- Mars razor (Mars Home - https://www.marsrazor.com/ : just had to try it :) )

I prefer mild razors.

(On a side note: after all the rave reviews the 6C was extremely disappointing with all plates. But maybe it was the Astra blade... If I could I'd sell it here, but I can't sell anything yet)
Okay, AD‘s (acquisition disorders) in full swing ;) - been there as well…

I know it’s tempting to mix and match all the new stuff but I would suggest to try every new blade first with the razor you know best (34C) and then look for other suitable combos.

I've thought about that as well. Problem is that I've had maybe half a dozen comfortable shaves with the 34C in 15 years, so I'm conditioned to think that it's simply not a comfortable razor. I don't associate it with anything positive at this point. So if a blade feels bad, I won't be sure if it's the blade or the 34C.
Overall I liked the Twig much more than the 34C. In fact I never tried the 34C with the good Astras - wish I had now.

Otoh, I can hardly draw any conclusions from a bad experience with a new blade AND razor.

Decisions...

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Interesting. I started using Astra SP a couple of years ago. At the time I was buying them in town by the tuck at a men's store; the laser version. Then he got in some printed ones. Seemed to shave the same but not as pretty.

I decided I liked them well enough to buy 300 of them. I am part way through the first box. The blades have been the printed version with two glue spots in a plain wrapper, but I just pulled out a fresh tuck and they have the bold print, printed blade, and four glue spots. Again, seem to shave just fine.

Wish they'd pick a version and stick to it, but we wouldn't have anything to speculate about. Well...:)

O.H.

Which is real and which is fake!
7C7B51C8-D211-42B0-9D08-0F175E5F2473.jpeg
C9E4F7C1-1E37-4A90-B5F3-D9F5A3890C63.jpeg

Bringing this back to life for fun. I’ve noticed three different packaging types throughout six years of using only Astra SP, Only in a ATT S1. One blade one razor. Far left of the photo are the oldest around 2016 found in my travel kit with more that 5 in the tuck so stuffed. Middle is the most recent 100 pack I went through. (Dated July2018) Right is the most recent 100 pack I purchased. (Dated Aug2021) they are printed with the printed wrappers and 4 glue dots on the backside. Honestly I think they have all shaved the same so far. Haven’t shaved with the newest but will tonight. The laser etched one’s being the ones that when I first changed over they felt different but I just kinda got used to it because they were legit and I thought it was all in my head. I wish they would stick to one thing because change is not my thing hence the one blade one razor. I’m in my head a little about it now so enjoy some photos.
8610DFD1-52E1-4AD7-ADBD-3AE195E52E0C.jpeg
D505EDED-FB27-47E5-9384-46A0C0B3D2C8.jpeg

I have always thought that Superior Stainless and Superior Platinum are two different products. At least that was the consensus when I was researching blades 10 years ago.
They are, the post was about printing/etching and number of glue spots. For a brief period the Greens and the Blues were laser etched. Now they are back printing at least according to sources here on B&B.

This has been an interesting thread. I have been using Astra SP exclusively for about 10 years. When I first tried one, I knew I had found my blade and immediately bought 100. The last 100 I purchased (production date 12/7/20) had the printed wrapper and four glue spots. The first blade in the bunch was just like all the rest I had ever used, but the next one was different. One edge shaved much rougher than the other! I thought this must be a fluke, but it turned out that, so far, about 4 in 10 blades have this defect. If this keeps up, I'll probably just toss the rest and reorder. After all these years of happy shaving, I'd hate to have to go on another blade search.

I know. I know... For some the search is the point, but not for me. I'm happy with my two razors (a Slim and EJ DE 86), two badger brushes and one blade.

I’m the same I just want to use one razor and one blade. Sad to say after six years with Astra SP something seems different and I’ve officially started sampling other blades…

This has been an interesting thread. I have been using Astra SP exclusively for about 10 years. When I first tried one, I knew I had found my blade and immediately bought 100. The last 100 I purchased (production date 12/7/20) had the printed wrapper and four glue spots. The first blade in the bunch was just like all the rest I had ever used, but the next one was different. One edge shaved much rougher than the other! I thought this must be a fluke, but it turned out that, so far, about 4 in 10 blades have this defect. If this keeps up, I'll probably just toss the rest and reorder. After all these years of happy shaving, I'd hate to have to go on another blade search.

I know. I know... For some the search is the point, but not for me. I'm happy with my two razors (a Slim and EJ DE 86), two badger brushes and one blade.
It's pretty wasteful to toss them. PIF them instead so others can also give an evaluation of them.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Maybe they are produced in multiple factories, and not all have the laser tools...?

Either way, I really don't care if I have to throw away the whole pack, they are so cheap.
The problem for me is how to achieve the smoothness that I briefly experienced, as I'm not sure what blades to try next (though I have like 30 different brands of sample blades incoming, min. 2 of each brand).
I never found them particularly smooth and can't wrap my head around counterfeiting blades that sell for around 9 cents, but what do I know.

If you need a sharp, smooth blade I would be sure to try Med Preps/Labs. I found the Gillette green blades very smooth, but not sharp enough.

I have both of those. I got them from Amazon as well. I've used blades with both labels
and can't tell a difference in performance.

I read older threads here (I think), and other forums. What I got out of it, is that they went from
printed labels to lazer etched for a while then back to printed.
And they change the language on the boxes depending on what country they were intended to
be exported to.

Geofatboy has a new video on Youtube about some of this that's pretty good.

I just looked up the video, it's pretty informative. I haven't figured out how to share a link yet
but if your interested. Geofatboy from 3 years ago.

Astra Razor Blades-Old New Real or Counterfeit?​

Last edited:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
What's the difference between the two Persona?
Very little, and some would insist none at all. I find the Med Prep ever so slightly more consistent in quality control, but they are close to twice the price so you have to really hate an inconsistent edge to pay double for the usual 2/100 blade difference. Outstanding longevity, best I've found to date.

I have both of those. I got them from Amazon as well. I've used blades with both labels
and can't tell a difference in performance.

I read older threads here (I think), and other forums. What I got out of it, is that they went from
printed labels to lazer etched for a while then back to printed.
And they change the language on the boxes depending on what country they were intended to
be exported to.

Geofatboy has a new video on Youtube about some of this that's pretty good.

I just looked up the video, it's pretty informative. I haven't figured out how to share a link yet
but if your interested. Geofatboy from 3 years ago.

Astra Razor Blades-Old New Real or Counterfeit?​

I’m going to use up the Astra’s that I currently own, but won’t be buying any more Russian blades.

I recently tried a Tatra blade I found really like the Tatra made in the Czech Republic.

My etched ones are dated 12/18…
People were concerned that they received fakes when the laser etched ones came to the market. Then it was heard that P&G switched to laser etching to prevent counterfeits.
So going back to printing after all the retooling doesn’t make sense for me…
Agree that going back to ink from laser etching doesn't make sense though I see Ivan_101s post. Curious, are the cardboard tucks etched with a number? My Astra SPs, purchased a little over two years ago have the tuck boxes etched with the number 8071787902 with a 12/03/18 date etched next to it. Believe the first 6-7 digits could be a plant number as a recently purchased King C. Gillette razor came with a newer tuck of blades where the first 7 etched number were identical. Wondering if the availability of inked blades could just be older inventory that is floating around. See this with years old Derby blades and older made in Korea Dorco blades (new product past few years that everyone raves about is from a new plant in Vietnam) still floating around the on-line retailers.

Ivan_101, why did Gillette move back to ink? Did they need the newer production equipment for the King C. Gillette blades? Once the new equipment was acquired there is no reason to go back unless there is a higher priority need for it.

When I returned to DE shaving back in mid 2018 I would up purchasing Derby blades to start instead of Astras because of all the "fake blade" comments due to the shift from ink to etching. Luckily my Derbys were post 2016 production that work well though I did eventually acquire some Astra SPs that are a bit better lasting for an extra shave or two.

Top Bottom