What's new

Fair Warning, 2021 Gold Dollar Mod Competition Coming Soon

Ok, maybe not so fair? Last year I had every intention of reminding people about the upcoming Gold Dollar mod competition. Well, here it is almost April.

In case you don’t know what the Gold Dollar mod competition is, its when people take a cheaply finished razor and make something that will be a joy to show off and to shave with. If you want more info go ahead and look through the threads in this compendium and see what people have done in previous years. This year, like every year, we start the competition on May 1. That is when you start working on modifying your razors. Normally we have everybody show their finished work starting on July 1 with voting shortly thereafter.

Last year because of difficulty in obtaining raw material, unmodified cheap Gold Dollar straight razors from China, we extended the working time to August 1. I just checked eBay and found that if you want to get the cheapest deal, around $7 USD, delivery might take until June. There are higher cost alternatives, at least to the US.

So, everybody start thinking about making one of these unique works of art. The results are truly great. Let me know in your replies if you want to do this but might have trouble getting a suitable razor to mod. If so we can once again move the deadline.

Top Bottom