What's new

Face washing with shave soap?

Hey, fellas. I'm a newbie that's been wet-shaving for a month and DE shaving for a week.

I just read about a guy washing his face with shave soap. This sounds interesting.

Williams, Arko, Conk Bay Rum, Cella, Proraso Red and Green, VDH pink and glycerine soaps are in my den.

1.) Which soap/cream should I use?

2.) Should I wash my entire face, nose and forehead?

Last edited:
soap is soap wash away lol.
little bit of history Williams use to advertize as a do all soap, hand washing face washing dishes ect.

When I make Uberlather (soap + cream + few drops of liquid glycerin) I wash my entire face with the lather prior to lathering up.

It was how I got my son to wash his face when he was younger. Got him his own brush so he could cover his whole face.

I've been known to lather a puck in the evenings (I'm a morning shaver) and wash my face. The soap leaves my face feeling better than most other soaps, smells better than other soaps, and I like the brush feel on the face! Plus it's a good way to reduce soaps that aren't your best shaving performers (for those of us who may have bought more shave soap than we'll ever use!).

Earlier this month I picked up a puck of Marvy shave soap, but I don't think I'd even want to wash my hands with that junk.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Musgo makes a pre-shave soap. It works well but I honestly do not notice a difference when I use a regular body soap to wash my face before shaving.

[a]I started doing this as a way to justify the whole dollar I spent on Williams, now I've come to enjoy it. Plus, in the end, though I'm not shaving with it, I'm doing my part to keep Williams in business. [/FONT][/B][/I]

Last edited by a moderator:
Musgo makes a pre-shave soap. It works well but I honestly do not notice a difference when I use a regular body soap to wash my face before shaving.

Musgo pre-shave soaps match the scent of their shaving soaps, which is quite pleasant, but in the end it's just another glycerine soap and one could remove the accumulated oils from the skin equally with standard facial glycerine soaps (e.g. Pears, or Neutrogena).

As I said, the Musgo Real scent is nice though...

I use remaining lather from my shave and lather my wife's face as she is getting in the bath. Her favorite is Cella (from the block) and Stirling anything. She likes the scritch and the exfoliation.

I keep a puck of VDH glycerine shave soap in the shower to wash my face with before I shave.

That sounds like a good idea. I shaved with the VDH glycerine last night for the first time and it was pretty good. I just need to learn how to lather it better.

That sounds like a good idea. I shaved with the VDH glycerine last night for the first time and it was pretty good. I just need to learn how to lather it better.

I melted a puck of glycerine and a puck of deluxe VDH and mixed them together early on my wet shaving journey and liked the result better than either one by itself.

I have since moved on to other soaps, but VDH isn't a bad performer.

With the VDH Glycerine, load a long, long time and use lots of product.

I use Dr.bronners Shaving soap to wash my face. And sometimes as an Uber lather, I find it doesn't on it's well but adding to my Stirling sheep shaving it come out thicker.

Earlier this month I picked up a puck of Marvy shave soap, but I don't think I'd even want to wash my hands with that junk.
I've never used Marvy soap, but I picked up two of their brushes at Sally's and they were so bad, I'd be embarassed to even PIF them away. The handles are cheap and ugly, the knots were thin and uneven. One was shedding before I even took it out of the package. I use one now to dust my computer keyboard, the other just stays in the drawer and earns a scornful look whenever I look at it.

I know that Marvy is a well-established name in the barber supply industry, but with products like their soap and brushes as examples, I don't know how they stay in business.

Top Bottom