What's new

Face lathering, what's your favorite brush?

For the last couple of days I have been face lathering with my Rudy Vey 25mm Muhlë Silvertip Fiber. I lathered with MWF and La Toja stick cream. Wow! What a wonderful brush. I built the lather on my face and didn't use the bowl to get it started. Great brush for this and my favorite brush ever.

I find for face lathering I get the best results from a synthetic brush. In fact when I use a shave stick, I can't even get a second pass worth of lather from any other brush other than a synthetic. The only way to go for me. Here are 4 of my favorites.

Brushes_Best.JPG

A big, soft, synthetic. I face lather with cream, from the tube or the pump bottle, putting a good-sized dollop straight into the center of the brush. The big synthetics cradle the lump of cream well and then splay readily to build lather on the face. So, Timberwolf, Synbad, Big Bruce.

I have plenty of brushes I look forward to using for face lathering. Of those, all of them natural bristles (Badgers, Boars, & Misturas) ranging from 21-28mm. That being said, my favorite is my most-used and coincidentally first brush.

Muhle Rytmo Badger in a 21mm Fan

I face-lather almost exclusively, from a shave stick. My brush of choice is Vie-Long 12601, which is a horse hair brush with 65%/35% mix of tail/mane. I'd prefer a wooden handle, but the brush itself is just what I want.

I prefer a small brush for face lathering, specifically with a loft of 55mm or less, but this is partly due to the fact that I have a beard and only shave my neck. With more real estate to mow, a larger brush can be OK too.

I've never used a badger brush, but I don't think I want to. I've used three different boar brushes, and I always miss the pleasant scritchy-scratchiness of horse hair whenever I use boar. Horse doesn't hold onto as much lather as boar bristle does but, considering I no longer re-lather during a shave, that's not a big deal to me.

Top Bottom