What's new

Face lathering, what's your favorite brush?

I don't have a lot of brushes, but my Yaqi 26mm Timber Wolf synthetic does a great job.

Yaqi Timberwolf is on my wishlist on AliExpress. I'm gonna wait until March promos, to get it for a bargain, just like I did with a 2BB brush that I got from Yaqi as well.
Next will I will receive the Yaqi black marble Silvertip badger.

"Face lathering, what's your favorite brush?"

My all-time favorite little lather monster is my custom "Shavemac 'Kleiner Bayer' 14/42 Silvertip D01 2-Band":
SOTD-1947-GT-K_2022-02-11.jpg

A single five second load gives me more than enough luxurious lather for a three pass shave (and I don't get lather in my ears or up my nose [or on my fingers] — I love accuracy).

I like my slightly smaller knotted (13/39) Wee Scot too, but it hasn't seen much action since the Kleiner Bayer arrived.

I've face lathered exclusively for the last ten-ish years, not counting a brief experiment with a scuttle, that ended with a BST post. And for about 90% of that time it's been with a Wee Scot. I had a B&B LE boar for a little while, but a fire took it and my first Wee Scot away from me. It's only very recently (November) that I've once again gone exploring in brushes a little bit. I picked up a 18mm travel synthetic from Maggards with their Timberwolf knot, and boy is that thing a BEAST for lather. Makes a little bit more lather than my Wee Scot, but the Wee Scot still has the edge, if only just, in terms of lather luxuriousness. For only $8 in the black friday sale, it's easily some of the best value per dollar I've ever spent.

I also picked up an Omega 10086 "Bigger Bambino", an 18mm boar, just to have one of each, and it's a very distant third place to the other two.

View attachment 1407978
I have read reviews that say the Wee Scot is the size of a thumb. I haven’t pulled out the mm ruler but how large is it? Would it be a good 50’s Old Spice mug brush?

I have read reviews that say the Wee Scot is the size of a thumb. I haven’t pulled out the mm ruler but how large is it? Would it be a good 50’s Old Spice mug brush?
If you mean to soak in, a shot glass would be better.

I had one and it’s ok for a shave or two, but for me it’s a barely big enough knot and easy to overload with a shave stick on the face then lathered. The handle’s too small for my taste and hands too.

but plenty of guys like it. I hope you do too.

If you mean to soak in, a shot glass would be better.

I had one and it’s ok for a shave or two, but for me it’s a barely big enough knot and easy to overload with a shave stick on the face then lathered. The handle’s too small for my taste and hands too.

but plenty of guys like it. I hope you do too.
Can I interpret this as “glad you just ordered this, it’s the best single brush ever made”? I’m joshing of course and thank you for you words. Honestly if it isn’t a win for myself, I have no doubt my daughter will claim it. I’m rather excited for the other items I had to add for free shipping as well.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Can I interpret this as “glad you just ordered this, it’s the best single brush ever made”? I’m joshing of course and thank you for you words. Honestly if it isn’t a win for myself, I have no doubt my daughter will claim it. I’m rather excited for the other items I had to add for free shipping as well.
I had a Chubby 2 and 3 in Super and sold them both but my Wee Scot remains in my regular rotation. For me it is a superb precision lathering tool that I could happily use every day. I hope you enjoy your new brush, let us know how it goes.

20220212_072440.jpg

In boar I say: Omega > Semogue > Zenith

I prefer narrow knots (20mm) lofted in the mid 40s, so my favorite boars are brushes I've lofted myself. Using handles I made, others made, or vintage brushes re-knotted.

You can try Omegas for very little cost, then get a fancier handled Omega if that is important to you.

I could not imagine going larger than the knot of the Classic 1. I’ve heard it called a “Chubby 0”. If there was something marginally smaller than the Classic 1, like a Chubby -1, I’d likely give it a try! ☺️

They told me they could make a Classic 1 in Manchurian, hehe. Smallest brush they can make with Manchurian, apparently. I asked if they could do a Wee Scot in Manchurian and sadly no.

View attachment 1408531

^ That's copied from Simpson's Wee Scot page.

I measured mine with my calipers not too long ago, and it's only slightly different form the official spec.

Overall brush height: 70mm
Handle height: 30.8mm
Knot loft: 39.2mm
Knot diameter: 13mm
Weight: 19.4g

The height variances are easily within the tolerances of hand made, and the extra 0.4g is likely water scale and soap scum buildup in the base of the knot.

Declaration Grooming 28mm b14 has been incredible. Best balance of backbone and softness I’ve felt in a brush for face lather.

I do own a mug, but have hardly ever used it. In 99.99 % of my shaves I face-lather and always use synthetic-fibre brushes. (In fact I don't even own badger or boar brushes anymore and will never buy them again.)

My favourite brush when it comes to lathering up creams is my trusted Mühle Silvertip Fibre M (21 mm knot size). It's also my go-to travel brush:

proxy.php

When I lather up soaps, I use the Simpson Trafalgar T2 (24 mm knot size):

proxy.php

I received the Wee Scot very quickly from Maggards and used it tonight. First impression is, dang, it’s small. I scooped an almond of Declaration Weinstrasse and quickly lathered up in my Captains cooper standard bowl. It lathered so quickly, I was amazed although I should have scooped an almond and a half. Excellent shave and yes this guy is tiny. My daughter has laid claim and that’s just fine. I haven’t used a decent badger brush in years , going all synth but even this little thing let me know I need big badgers in my life.
97A3B41B-6FC2-4BA3-A8C6-56BDA0321FE3.jpeg

Top Bottom