What's new

Face Lather, or Bowl?

Purely depends on how I feel at the time, was exclusively a bowl latherer when I started however after recently being gifted a stick of arko and now following a purchase of tabac stick i quite enjoy the odd face lather using an Omega synth
I do find however when using soaps a Bowl can help to produce the consistency I like

The best artisan shaving soaps today are so good, I always make enough to put an extra lather on my face at the end of the shave, just like you do. Also like you , I leave it on while I clean up my gear. With some soaps, I can continue to feel the moisturizing and conditioning for 24 hours.

I often do this as well.

I've found there's something about the Simpson Persian Jar, size 2. It works really well for face lathering. The density is a bit less than some and the bristle that is there is long enough to splay gently and still mop up a lather. This works really well for my non-lanolin soaps like the Barrister Reserves... just keep filling the brush as it needs.

It depends on my choice of soap. Pucks & creams get bowl lathering. There's a certain charm and satisfaction derived from building that perfect lather in a bowl. I have several bowls that work really great - only one is an actual shaving soap bowl & I rarely use it.
I do have several stick soaps and a couple of loose pucks I use for face lathering. I simply wet my face, dampen the tip of the stick/puck then rub my face. It always seems like magic how a nice dense lather builds (without messily slopping soapy water about as the video shave guys do).
Before I stuck it to a bowl, I grated about 1/2 the thickness of my current Williams puck and made both a blend of soaps as a puck, and also another blend (with Arko) to use as a stick. It works just fine and the shave is exceptional.

1. Use brush to apply hot water to face.
2. Apply soap stick to face.
3. Lather with brush.

Funny enough I just tried Cella for the first time in a bowl. My very next shave I formed it into a stick to face lather.

Interesting. If you like face lathering, why don't you smear the creams on your face using your fingertips and then face lather?
Because I like bowl lathering as well. This way I get the best of both worlds. I also prefer larger brushes for face lathering and smaller ones for the bowl. And I also get to use all my gear. Works for me but as in all things YMMV.

I am a cheapskate, so the soaps that I use are primarily Van Der Hagen and soon to be Williams mug soap. Van Der Hagen deluxe soap for me, does not take a lot of water so I will stir on the puck to get a paste consistency. Then, its an exacting science to add just enough water so that the soap doesn't become too thin, so its a face lather for me mostly. I've used Proraso green and that is more of a bowl lather, though it does take more water than Van Der Hagen in my experience.

I am a cheapskate, so the soaps that I use are primarily Van Der Hagen and soon to be Williams mug soap. Van Der Hagen deluxe soap for me, does not take a lot of water so I will stir on the puck to get a paste consistency. Then, its an exacting science to add just enough water so that the soap doesn't become too thin, so its a face lather for me mostly. I've used Proraso green and that is more of a bowl lather, though it does take more water than Van Der Hagen in my experience.
Williams is awful, smells like mosquito repellent, I prefer haslinger offerings for a good quality cheap small puck the schafmilch and aloe Vera a particularly good. YMMV

If the question is "face or bowl lather?", then the answer is "yes".
me too. I generally face lather only when traveling, but even when I bowl lather at home, there's a good deal of face lathering as well. The lathering is the most time consuming part of my shave.

I have always bowl lathered, but this thread has convinced me to try a face lather. Does it work with large synthetic brushes (Yaqi 24 mm or Silver Tip Fibre 25 mm)?
My Yaqi 30mm barber pole tuxedo is a beautiful face lathering brush.

Attachments

• F7717B26-233F-4E4B-BEC3-2F9613637F94.jpeg
    F7717B26-233F-4E4B-BEC3-2F9613637F94.jpeg
    587 KB · Views: 9
Williams is awful, smells like mosquito repellent, I prefer haslinger offerings for a good quality cheap small puck the schafmilch and aloe Vera a particularly good. YMMV
To each their own. I got into this type of shaving mainly because I was just tired of paying insane prices for blades. This shaving was to be cheap and its gonna stay that way for me. A lot of guys will end up splurging on extra gear that end up collecting dust, which is not what I want. The brush and soap aspect appeals to me mainly because I don't have to touch shaving goo and works to my advantage by providing an actual layer of protection on the face as opposed to the false protection offered by canned foam. I do hear that Williams can be hard to lather, but I will do further reviews before I pop on a puck or two. Might even just skip the VDH for ordinary bar soap, which I get anyways.

...smear the creams on your face using your fingertips and then face lather?

That is exactly how I do it. The cream lathers up quickly that way. I add a little cream between passes rather than trying to load it all up at the start.

Just add water and stir.

Some interesting methods here guys.

In my case the method changed over the time for 100% bowl lathering to something more in between. What I do is to create the 90% of the final lather on the soap itself with a fairly wet brush. It may take some time in smaller soap containers but it is still a lot faster than picking up the right amount of soap with a dry brush and water later. I'm adding some water to the puck if needed.
Once the lather is almost perfect I bring it to the face and set the final water/soap ratio by light scrubbing and painting. Since my face can't handle a full blown face lathering this is what is a, the most time efficient for everyday shave, b, suits my skin the most. A light scrubbing to get the silky smooth lather in between the hairs and lift them up a bit.

What I found is that my lather is also improved a lot using this method because the brush will hold a lot of very dense lather for multiple passes what I can paint on and thin up for a silky and very slippery lather on my face with a touch of water. If I wanted to use a thinner lather my brush will be mostly empty after 2 passes, or it would be more airy with bowl lathering and I had to dive in to the bowl again filling the brush for every pass which I didn't really like.

Sent from my RNE-L01 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom