What's new

Face Lather, or Bowl?

I started lathering in a mug, switched to a bowl, and 1.5 yrs ago I became an exclusive face latherer... I will say that the OP makes it seem like an awful lot to be a face latherer and if I was a newby and read that post I'd still be in a mug or bowl cause it just seems like a lot from the description!!

Just start with a damp brush, swirl it in the soap tub for about 15-30 seconds, then move it to your face and make the lather adding some water to the brush tips as you build the lather... Easy as that!!

I started lathering in a mug, switched to a bowl, and 1.5 yrs ago I became an exclusive face latherer... I will say that the OP makes it seem like an awful lot to be a face latherer and if I was a newby and read that post I'd still be in a mug or bowl cause it just seems like a lot from the description!!

Just start with a damp brush, swirl it in the soap tub for about 15-30 seconds, then move it to your face and make the lather adding some water to the brush tips as you build the lather... Easy as that!!
I didn’t intend to make it sound complicated...

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Face lather, always. Why lather a bowl when you can lather your face?
Because some people get brush burn when face lathering, especially with a boar hair brush.
I mostly bowl lather, but depending on the soap, cream, or brush, I'll face lather.
And when I'm really in a hurry or lazy, I'll just grab a can of Barbasol. 😀

I started out using a bowl, but could never get a consistently good lather. I switched to face lathering with softer brushes and never looked back.

Because some people get brush burn when face lathering, especially with a boar hair brush.
I mostly bowl lather, but depending on the soap, cream, or brush, I'll face lather.
And when I'm really in a hurry or lazy, I'll just grab a can of Barbasol. 😀
😱😱

Face latherer here. Several of you gents have good points, regardless of preference. As a beginner, bowl lathering helped me to learn to develop and identify peaks and sheen. Put differently, bowl lathering helped me to develop technique. I like the theory of face lathering helping to moisturize/prep beard for the shave. As someone who has sensitive face-skin, I do wonder if face lathering contributes to dry skin (Nivea sensitive balm is used daily).

I bowl lather (except when using my shave sticks). But yesterday, inspired by this thread, I consciously choose to try face lathering with a soap that has given me inconsistent results to date. Lo and behold, a great lather and plenty on the brush for three passes. I was astounded! I'll be giving it another try today.

But, I won't be abandoning the scuttle anytime soon. Just nice to have options that I know will work for me.

I bowl lather (except when using my shave sticks). But yesterday, inspired by this thread, I consciously choose to try face lathering with a soap that has given me inconsistent results to date. Lo and behold, a great lather and plenty on the brush for three passes. I was astounded! I'll be giving it another try today.

But, I won't be abandoning the scuttle anytime soon. Just nice to have options that I know will work for me.
Use hot, hot, hot water when you’re lathering your face, my friend. You’ll ditch the scuttle too!

Now that I have a bowl that I like I have returned to bowl lathering. I turned away from bowl lathering because I was using bowls that were too small for me. Now I really like bowl lathering because I can really concentrate on building my lather. I can do both, but now prefer bowl lathering. I load from the tub and build in my big ole stupid bowl.

For a long time I would almost always face lather. Now I almost always bowl lather. I find that I can incorporate more water into my lather more quickly using a bowl. That results in better lather and better, closer, and smoother shaves. Even when I use a shave stick, I start the lather on my face, then I go to the bowl to add a lot more water, and then I alternate back and forth between face and bowl. I doubt I'll ever go back to just face lathering because for me the difference has been so significant.

Face 95%, more like scalp..... Quicker, less mess, feels better to me, probably use/waste less soap?. Besides, I don't like bowls and don't want to waste any more $ in them...rather "invest" it on razors and blades....HA

For a long time I would almost always face lather. Now I almost always bowl lather. I find that I can incorporate more water into my lather more quickly using a bowl. That results in better lather and better, closer, and smoother shaves. Even when I use a shave stick, I start the lather on my face, then I go to the bowl to add a lot more water, and then I alternate back and forth between face and bowl. I doubt I'll ever go back to just face lathering because for me the difference has been so significant.

Although I started bowl lathering to minimize face contact time, I agree with you that it is quicker and easier to produce a lather in a bowl than on your face. With a bowl, you can agitate the lather far more vigorously. I normally start out with 1 Tablespoon of hot water in my bowl. If that is not enough, I can always add a little more. With some soaps and creams, I can generate a great lather in as little as 30 seconds. I have never seen anyone face lather that quickly, unless they are using a canned foam or gel. There are only a few soaps that take me more than a minute to lather.

Top Bottom