What's new

Exploring Combinations

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have all the AC blades available but I still haven't tried the Feather Pro Supers yet. I might in my Claymore Evolution. David / @never-stop-learning likes them in the Claymore Evo, as it bumps up the efficiency a tad and gives him a better shave. I've been using either the Kai ProTouch MG guarded blades or the Feather ProGuards in all three of my AC razors. I know the guard was designed to be used in barber razors and it makes no sense that I get smoother yet closer shaves with them, but I do.

It will be two years in February since I got the Claymore Evo, so perhaps I should revisit the other unguarded blades and see what I've learned. I do have a nice stash of both guarded blades and only one 15 or 20 blade packages of the unguarded ones, but enough to try them again.

I know it's an expensive razor but the bronze Atelier Durdan La Faulx might just be the best razor I've ever used. The other real standout seems to be the Athena, though all my Top Razor are right on their heels, thankfully.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have all the AC blades available but I still haven't tried the Feather Pro Supers yet. I might in my Claymore Evolution. David / @never-stop-learning likes them in the Claymore Evo, as it bumps up the efficiency a tad and gives him a better shave. I've been using either the Kai ProTouch MG guarded blades or the Feather ProGuards in all three of my AC razors. I know the guard was designed to be used in barber razors and it makes no sense that I get smoother yet closer shaves with them, but I do.

It will be two years in February since I got the Claymore Evo, so perhaps I should revisit the other unguarded blades and see what I've learned. I do have a nice stash of both guarded blades and only one 15 or 20 blade packages of the unguarded ones, but enough to try them again.

I know it's an expensive razor but the bronze Atelier Durdan La Faulx might just be the best razor I've ever used. The other real standout seems to be the Athena, though all my Top Razor are right on their heels, thankfully.
In my opinion, you should try the Feather Pro Super blade.

The Feather Pro Super makes a positive difference with the Claymore Evolution. The combination of the Claymore Evolution, Timeless Crown Titanium handle and Feather Pro Super blade is very effective and pleasing. :)

Phoenixkh It definitely changes things. I still need to try the guarded blades, I haven't done any of those. So far my favorite with the V3A Hawk is the regular Pros.

In other news, I got my Barrister & Mann Red Letter Day splash the other day, holiday sale at Maggards ftw. Vanilla is one of the few scents I can actually smell normally, so I had high hopes. They weren't disappointed. Between Spanish Leather skin food pre shave and the RLD splash I actually get some olfactory enjoyment from the shave as well.

Honestly, since it's a seasonal run that's already been out a while I'm tempted to order more, even though I'd be paying full price. I really like it. But, the rational part of me says that there will be other options down the road. The balm already seems sold out most places and only a few have any splash left, but I think I'll manage to resist. That said, I got a sample of another brand's vanilla splash and couldn't smell it at all. I have yet to use it on my face, but putting it on my hands got me nothing.

So now my counter has Barrister & Mann balm and splash as my two main aftershaves and GFT Skin food as my preshave and an alternate for aftershave if I want something in between.

I'm still working through my samples to finish them off but have improved my lather creation methods and some of the stuff I was just ok with before has done better. I'm still planning to mostly use up what I've got before getting any other soaps, but there are a couple brands where I could be talked into it.

Been a while, but I figured I'd stop in and do an update.
My hardware hasn't changed. I'm still using the Super Speed and RR Hawk V3A and Trafalgar 2 brush.
My favorite blade hasn't changed, Lab Blues (and I'm sure I'll feel the same about the Accuforge once I re-order). I have steadily been using up my various sample packs of blades. What I've found is that while I definitely have my preferences, nearly any blade can do a good job. This is a bit different from what I learned with soaps, where some really did not work well for me and others have been excellent. I'm putting that down to differences in water, skin and preshave choices.

For soft goods I'm still using SW's Incorporeal as my primary, but I spent a while using up the various samples I had. Generally speaking, my opinions didn't change on any of them. Noble Otter and Barrister & Mann are still favorites and one or the other will be my next full size purchase. I've still got most of my Razorock Don Marco as well, which I still really like.

GFT Skin Food is still my pre-shave of choice and gets used as a post shave now and then. B&M's Red Letter day and a Lavanille sample are my current splashes of choice. Stirling's Vanilla Sandalwood balm and B&M Muir Wood balm are my usual there. I was actually really impressed with the Stirling, big fan. I still want to try Noble Otter's balms and splashes, but I can't find samples of those and am too happy with my current stuff to drop a bunch of money on full sizes. When I eventually need to replace one of my current full size products I'll probably try one of theirs. My plan on the post shave stuff is to replace my current favorites before they're actually out. Red Letter Day was a limited run and I'm kind of wishing I'd bought another one, but I'm resisting WCS's discounted offering because if I do that I won't try anything else for a long time.

My technique has improved a bit over time, I get a shave I'm quite happy with almost every time. Usually when I'm not thrilled I know exactly why. Generally me being lazy, but sometimes I discover certain combinations of products don't play nice on my face. Personna Red's are still meh for me. I get a good shave, but avoiding irritation seems nearly impossible. No idea why. In contrast, while I didn't like them as much as the Lab Blue's, both Astras work very well. Right up there for me with the Wilkinson Swords. Nacets (which I accidentally got a 100 pack of) are nice but nothing special for me. I'll probably steadily give them away to friends who try wet shaving. Wizamet Super Iridiums are nearly as nice as the Lab Blues for me, but when nearly as nice is the same phrase I use for Wilkinson Swords.... I used a WS today and just like every time I use one after it's been a while I'm impressed with how smooth and comfy a shave I get on what is a fairly budget option. Since I'm trying to avoid giving Gillette/PG money, Lab Blue and Wilkinson's it is, with the Treet Platinums I got when I started mixed in as well. That said, I plan to buy another pack each of the Astras next time I order blades. I want to do a careful comparison between them and see if I have a preference. My original trial had them getting basically the same results and comments, but I had a lot less experience at the time. I also want to try out some of the other well regarded Gillette options. I'm not rabid about my anti-gillette position, so I don't mind trying their stuff just to see how it is. I just would prefer to do business with other brands in general.

Overall, it's a fun journey and I'm still learning and exploring. I've mostly been using the same stuff for the past six months, the only real addition being the Stirling balm. I am currently working to convert another co-worker. I lent him my chinese super speed knockoff and gave him a pack of nacets. We'll see how he likes it. He has used a DE before, but it's been a long time.

Oh, last bit. I tried Barbasol in a can, I can see why it did so well and continues to sell. Using my preshave still made a big difference, but of all the "modern" options I've tried it was probably the best. It's now my go-to if I'm not taking the time to make regular lather.

Top Bottom