What's new

Experiences and opinions with FlyDear Super Platinum DE blades

I am testing the FlyDear at the moment as well.
It performs excellently in the Rockwell 6s and the Giesen und Forsthoff Timor, so I expect a very good performance in the R89 too.

At the moment I have one loaded in the R41, and I am not yet sure. The shaves are smooth and very close, but I get at least one nick. At the 41 is new in my den it's likely that it's my fault or the fact that the 41 bends the blade less.. But I notice during the shave that the blade is less sharp than an Astra or Gillette Platinum blade,so a little bit more uncomfortable but in the end the result is very good too.

I can see the FlyDear being a very good match for an R41. For me, that razor is a steep-angle tool that requires a very smooth blade, but not an especially sharp one. My best results in my R41 so far have come with the Shark Super Chrome, which is a ghastly blade in every other razor I've tried it in. I don't use the R41 much anymore but might try it soon with a FlyDear, perhaps on a head shave.

For what it is worth here is a 200x image of the Fly Dear. for comparison: The second image is a Feather.

fly dear 220x.jpg

Feather:
feather 200x.jpg

I can see the FlyDear being a very good match for an R41. For me, that razor is a steep-angle tool that requires a very smooth blade, but not an especially sharp one. My best results in my R41 so far have come with the Shark Super Chrome, which is a ghastly blade in every other razor I've tried it in. I don't use the R41 much anymore but might try it soon with a FlyDear, perhaps on a head shave.
I just used a fresh FlyDear in a Game Changer .84p. It could be smoother. I had a close shave in the end, but this combo was rough for my face.

I recall it working quite OK in a Gillette Tech.

Reactions: Kix
Round two of my FlyDear evaluation: pairing it with the RazoRock Game Changer .84P. Basically a couple notches up in aggressiveness from the .68P I tried it with a couple weeks ago.

I'm coming off a week of trying the Suneko with the same razor, so it's an interesting comparison just like last time.

Day 1:
  • Three passes on face (WTG, XTG, ATG), four passes on neck. I've got a lunch date, so I don't need to be scraggly!
  • BBS on face, DFS on neck; probably didn't do enough skin stretching on neck. A little closer shave than the equivalent with the Suneko.
  • Medium-shallow shaving angle, for the most part. Stayed in the range of comfortable, easy shaving motion.
  • Smoothness: not as smooth as last week's Suneko, but also not harsh like the first day on a Feather (or sometimes a Nacet). I definitely felt the ATG pass more than with the Suneko.
My continuing impression is that the FlyDear is a very "medium" blade in all ways, except for its value proposition (which is exceptional).

2024-04-27 13.27.23-1.jpg

Shave #2 - FlyDear Platinum with Game Changer .68P

This was a much better match for my face and hair type. I shave every other day as a guy with normal hair and skin but perhaps slow-growing and not super-dense. The shave was much smoother without a feeling of digging in and I noticed less blade noise and feedback than with the .84P. I made a single pass and then engaged in some touch up, so maybe it was 1.25 passes total.

Overall quite a good shave with just a hint of burning from my aftershave. I stand by my opinion that the FlyDear has at least the same level of cutting ability as an Astra SP, but I suppose most all blades do... it is just the perception of the process that we identify as "sharpness".

I typically prefer "sharper" blades with more mild razors and I have a long ways to go before I know and understand all my new GC razor heads (.68, .76, .84). I think the .68p is a bit more forceful than a Gillette Tech and that surely amplifies the better than average sharpness I assign to the FlyDear. I recently spent a month with Lord blades (Cool, Silver Star, Racer, Shark Super Chrome, ASCO) to give everyone an idea of my current personal gauge.

Shave #2 - FlyDear Platinum with Game Changer .68P

This was a much better match for my face and hair type. I shave every other day as a guy with normal hair and skin but perhaps slow-growing and not super-dense. The shave was much smoother without a feeling of digging in and I noticed less blade noise and feedback than with the .84P. I made a single pass and then engaged in some touch up, so maybe it was 1.25 passes total.

I'd agree so far that the FlyDear might match up better with the .68P than with the .84P in terms of smoothness. Thing is, every blade is smooth with the 68P! Efficiency is the problem. I find that it takes a Nacet to get great results from the 68. Perhaps the .76P as a nice middle ground will excel for you with the FlyDear.

I'm finding that the 84/FlyDear combo works, even if not ideal.

Day 3 - FlyDear/RazoRock GC .84P
  • Full face shave today.
  • 2nd shave on the "logo up" edge of the blade.
  • Three passes on face (WTG/XTG/ATG), mixture of DFS+ and BBS.
  • Four passes on neck, DFS.
  • The Flydear was noticeably rougher and less efficient on this edge's second shave. More tactile feedback and resistance. Not at the "throw it away" stage yet, but the decline surprised me, given that the second and third days are usually a blade's sweet spot.
  • For my next full face shave on Friday, I'll use the other edge of the blade to compare apples-to-apples.

Shave #3 - Razorock Game Changer .68P

So the disadvantage of using such a mild razor is the stubble returns to a noticeable level quicker because you didn't get as close of shave compared to other options. This was the case this morning after using the .68P yesterday, so I repeated the process and got the same quality of output with the FlyDear Platinum.

I don't think the FlyDear was the primary determinant - the razor was, so I fully expect to have an obvious shadow tomorrow morning, but I'll restrain myself so I can try the .76P two days from now. No problems with the FlyDear. The shave was comfortable again and with deliberate observation I am changing my opinion that the GC .68P has more efficiency than my prewar Gillette Tech. It seems to cut a little less closely compared to what the Tech does, but to its credit is a very comfortable and safe tool to operate.

If I am not giving a lot of attention to the FlyDear in this log, there's a good reason for it. I think it is performing as expected without issue. The FlyDear Platinum is a middle of the road blade (probably a bit better than that) sold at an attractive price point. Nothing wrong with that. Sure there are blades I like better, but I still consider it very good on the bang for the buck criterion.

Day 4 - FlyDear/RazoRock Game Changer .84P
  • Neck shave only.
  • I again used the "logo side up" edge on its third day, probably for the last time on this blade.
  • Three passes, DFS+
  • I took a steeper, middle shaving angle today, and that led to noticeably better results than yesterday. A steeper angle puts the .84P's larger blade gap more into play.
  • A fair amount of feedback, but no harshness or tugging. About what I'd expect with a steeper angle.
  • Razor burn is yet to be determined--that can be a problem for me with steeper angles. I'm definitely feeling the aftereffects a little more than I was yesterday. Ask me in a few hours.
Tomorrow, I'll do another full-face shave on the other edge of the blade and probably go a little steeper again. I'll put in a head shave on the day after that.

Shave #4 - Razorock Game Changer .76P, Proraso Green Creme

I had intended to wait a full 2 days before testing with the .76P but the wife reminded me we have our son's high school banquet to attend tonight, so out came the GC and FlyDear.

These Game Changers have a fairly specific angle you have to shave with, right? I enjoy the .76 but it's still fairly mild compared to most of the razors I own. Still, I had a good shave, but honestly it felt much like the .68.

This was the first time I used green Proraso. Holy smoke, the menthol is strong! Very enjoyable and easy to face lather with though.

Oh yeah, the FlyDear was fine.

Day 5 - FlyDear/Game Changer .84P
  • Full face shave
  • Day 2 on the "logo upside down" edge of the blade
  • Three passes (WTG/XTG/ATG)
  • Mid-steep angle on the first two passes, shallower angle on the ATG pass
  • Results were excellent - BBS all around
  • Smooth and no tugging. The blade performed well.
I went steeper than normal today, apart from the ATG pass. I'll probably feel it later today, but it was worth it get a maximal BBS shave. Today raises my opinion of this blade, for sure.

Tomorrow will be my weekly head shave and my final day with this blade, so stay tuned!

Top Bottom