What's new

Experiences and opinions with FlyDear Super Platinum DE blades

I think the two of you are referencing different Rhino blades.

Xirui makes both of these blades (and Matgicol Platinums). The base model is the Rhinoceros XR.

View attachment 1825264
Yes, I too believe they are not the same blade.

The user @Juanmosey he confirmed it and wrote it in the post above,I think he means the Rhino blades with the rhinoceros on the blade envelope not the Rhinoceros Swiss XR which have the rhinoceros figure only on the carton of the hundred blade pack.

Reactions: Kix
Yes, I too believe they are not the same blade.

The user @Juanmosey he confirmed it and wrote it in the post above,I think he means the Rhino blades with the rhinoceros on the blade envelope not the Rhinoceros Swiss XR which have the rhinoceros figure only on the carton of the hundred blade pack.
I blade I dubbed the Chinese Feather is yellow wrapped with a Rhino being sliced in half like the Nacet.

These FlyDears are on sale from "Her Love Place Store" :em19:on AliExpress right now for $4.01/100 pack. In the Super Deals section.

This is not a welcome deal, so you don't have to be a new customer. I think FlyDears are quite usable and would buy some now if I didn't already have enough blades to last through a Walking Dead apocalypse.

Coatings:

Available: Chromium (enhances durability), Teflon (ensures smooth glide), and the newly added Nitride Chromium (offers increased surface hardness and corrosion resistance).
Not available: Platinum coating.
If you go to xrrazor.com, where the blades are listed, instead of xiruiblade.com, their FAQ lists this:

Coatings:
  • Available: Chromium (enhances durability), Teflon (ensures smooth glide), and the newly added Nitride Chromium (offers increased surface hardness and corrosion resistance). Platinum coating.
(I bolded and blued the text)

Which is interesting as 2 days ago that site had it listed just as you indicated that Platinum wasn't available. I sent a "Contact Us" to them asking why the Flydear Super Platinum would seem to indicate that they were platinum coated but their site says they don't use that coating. I didn't hear anything from them, but, BOOM! The FAQ is updated with the coating being available. 🤔

AliExpress has a "Welcome" deal on a 100 Pack of Flydear blades that expires on 3/28. $0.99 + tax with free shipping. I figured 100 blades for $1.29 total - why not?
Ok, so I got them in and had a chance to test fly, I mean drive. First, they came in relatively quickly from AliExpress - were shipped within 24 hours and only took 8 days total from China to Eastern US. Not bad. The package was sealed well - better than many 100 packs from Amazon. So, all good there. The blades are double-wrapped in paper which I thought was interesting considering their low price point.

On to the shave. Loaded it up into my Progress, lathered up with Stirling Deton-8, and started the shave. And the first pass was extremely rough, no blood or weepers but I thought, oh crap, there's going to be a murder scene here soon. Rinsed, lathered up for a second pass, and it was a much nicer experience. I guess there was a really poor application of blade coating that smoothed out after that first pass. Finished up the shave with final pass. No nicks/weepers at all. And got a pretty close and decent shave out of it. My skin did feel somewhat irritated for quite some time afterwards, but I think that had to do with the rough first pass.

Second shave went much better. No issues to speak of and got a really good shave out of it. No irritation.

Third shave is where is started to fall off. Tugging around the chin area and mild irritation afterwards. Still a close shave, just not quite as good overall.

Typically 3 shaves is where I stop using a blade as I get diminishing returns after. This blade just barely made it to the third. But, putting aside the irritation factor, it did give close long-lasting shaves for all 3.

So, where do I stand on this blade? At $1.29 for a 100-pack, it is a steal. Even if I only get 1 shave per blade, it is well ahead price-wise of anything else. 2 shaves is even better. 3 (probably won't do that far) is rediculously good. However, that was a "welcome new member" deal from AliExpress. Now the blades are listing around $5 or so, and adding $2 shipping brings it up to $7. At that price, while slightly better on a per shave basis, assuming 3 shaves, I can get better blades for only a bit more ($0.01 per shave based on 3 shaves), which would give me more comfortable shaves. If another super special deal on them comes around, I might just pick some more up, otherwise, no.

So, I'm testing a FlyDear for the first time. Here's the kit for this 3- or 4-shave test:

Razor: Razorock Game Changer .68P
Pre-Shave: Creemo shave cream for sensitive skin
Soap: Stirling Unscented with Beeswax
Brush: AoS silvertip
Post-Shave: Cold water rinse

Shave 1 impressions:
  • My initial thought is that the FlyDear is a direct replacement for a Russian Astra SP. Reasonably smooth and medium sharpness. Basically, an "Average Joe" blade.
  • My first shave turned out CCS with three passes (WTG/XTG/XTG). I don't do ATG passes or seek BBS shaves. Sharper blades like the Nacet get me to DFS with the GC68P.
  • I didn't experience any discomfort or roughness, including on the first pass, which is usually where the GC68P falls down because it's so mild. At the same time, I definitely "felt" this blade more than I did the Suneko that I used last week (which I got in the same shipment from Temu). It's still smoother than the batch of Astra SPs I got in 2018, however. Maybe just slightly sharper than the Suneko, too.
  • Like the Suneko, I'm thinking that the FlyDear needs a more aggressive razor than the GC68P to really shine. Still, at $4.50 per 100, I'd already say that the FlyDear is worth considering.
2024-04-14 08.21.02.jpg

So, where do I stand on this blade? At $1.29 for a 100-pack, it is a steal. Even if I only get 1 shave per blade, it is well ahead price-wise of anything else. 2 shaves is even better. 3 (probably won't do that far) is rediculously good. However, that was a "welcome new member" deal from AliExpress. Now the blades are listing around $5 or so, and adding $2 shipping brings it up to $7. At that price, while slightly better on a per shave basis, assuming 3 shaves, I can get better blades for only a bit more ($0.01 per shave based on 3 shaves), which would give me more comfortable shaves. If another super special deal on them comes around, I might just pick some more up, otherwise, no.
I think the right strategy to minimize cost is to buy enough to get free shipping, and that is quite doable - just spend $10 on AliExpress and the shipping is free. So assume $5/100 for FlyDear Platinums and that is a regularly found better buy than just about anything else without extraordinary circumstances. A close alternative is buying 1000 Dorco ST300s off Amazon for about $50 or 200 Treet Platinums for $12.

Anyway, FlyDears, ST300s, and Treet Platinums are the cheapest blades that still have good performance IMO. The other Xirui blades (Rhinoceros XR, Matgicol Platinum) can be obtained at a similar price point to the FlyDears too.

Last edited:
Yeah, the minimum on Temu for free shipping is $15, but I can usually manage that. I've got enough FlyDears and Sunekos to last me for a couple years, anyway. :D

Day 2 with the FlyDear. Same kit as the first shave.

I built up some razor burn over the last several days, but I doubt it's FlyDear-related. I shaved with a Tech/Feather combo a few days ago, and I still haven't mastered that razor yet--it gives me a terrible burn every time. I think I'm running it too steep.

Anyway, to compensate and still get a shave in today, I went with a really shallow angle. This dramatically decreases the efficiency for me, and I only got a SAS shave today. However, the FlyDear performed fine, with not a single hint of tug or bite.

I typically use the same side of the blade for all passes during a shave, and so this was truly "day 2", since I used the same side of the blade as yesterday. Because of that, my next FlyDear shave will be like starting over with a fresh blade. It'll be interesting to compare.

I typically use the same side of the blade for all passes during a shave, and so this was truly "day 2", since I used the same side of the blade as yesterday. Because of that, my next FlyDear shave will be like starting over with a fresh blade. It'll be interesting to compare.
I shave exactly the same way. I started doing it in February to prolong the life of a Treet Dura Sharp during the One Blade Challenge, and I stuck with it because it's a good way to test the consistency of a blade across usages.

It seems like FlyDears will be available indefinitely, but I am tempted to stock up with another 200 or so just because they're so cheap and I think they are very usable.

Reactions: Kix
I shave exactly the same way. I started doing it in February to prolong the life of a Treet Dura Sharp during the One Blade Challenge, and I stuck with it because it's a good way to test the consistency of a blade across usages.

It seems like FlyDears will be available indefinitely, but I am tempted to stock up with another 200 or so just because they're so cheap and I think they are very usable.

I initially started doing this to even out the amount wear on the blade, since it's hard for me to keep track of which edge is getting more wear when I'm doing three passes. It's easier with two (or four) passes, since all you have to remember to flip the razor between passes.

Are these Flydears in the same league as Dorco/Dorco Primes?
Maybe a touch less sharp than the Dorco ST300, but I find the ST300 fairly sharp out of the wrapper.

I don't know about durability since I haven't spent enough time with FlyDears. I imagine most people could squeeze 3-4 shaves out of one, since most blades can do that. There are reviewers that say they got 7 shaves.

I am now on the 8th shave with my first FlyDear Super Platinum blade. It is still cutting extremely well and still extremely smooth. I recently retired a Dorco Prime at 5 shaves since it felt like it was starting to deteriorate a little. The FlyDear feels much better to me on the 8th shave than the Dorco Prime did on it's 5th shave. This is using the same razor (RazoRock OLD) and same shaving cream. The FlyDear and the Dorco Prime felt pretty close on the 1st shave, the FlyDear improved on the 2nd and 3rd shaves, leveled off and continues to perform well on the 8th shave while the Dorco Prime stayed about the same on shaves 1 - 4 then declined slightly on shave 5.

Day 3 with the FlyDear and my RazoRock GC .68P

I was using the "text upside down" side of the FlyDear for the first time today and just doing a neck shave with the GC68P.
  • Smooth; not even a hint of discomfort, tugging, or roughness.
  • The shave was four passes on the neck; the first WTG pass sort of a medium angle, and the other three (XTG x2, ATG) were very shallow.
  • Four passes yielded only a "DFS minus" shave with a fresh razor edge.
My conclusion is that the FlyDear is not sharp enough for the GC68P, which requires the type of ultra-sharp blade you'd use in a Gillette Tech (Feather, Nacet). No complaints about the blade quality, though. It's very smooth and comfortable even on the first day. I think it's a clear upgrade from a Russian Astra SP.

I'm going to evaluate it in more aggressive razors. Next up with it will be the .84P baseplate for my GC.

I am testing the FlyDear at the moment as well.
It performs excellently in the Rockwell 6s and the Giesen und Forsthoff Timor, so I expect a very good performance in the R89 too.

At the moment I have one loaded in the R41, and I am not yet sure. The shaves are smooth and very close, but I get at least one nick. At the 41 is new in my den it's likely that it's my fault or the fact that the 41 bends the blade less.. But I notice during the shave that the blade is less sharp than an Astra or Gillette Platinum blade,so a little bit more uncomfortable but in the end the result is very good too.

Top Bottom