What's new

Experience with Fendrihan razors, anyone?

When I learned about zamac rot I began thinking about razors made from stainless steel or aluminum or brass. Fendrihan has an all brass razor anodized in black for $26 US plus shipping, etc. It is described as mild to aggressive. I believe they mean it is just slightly more aggressive than a mild razor. It sounds attractive. There is one review and it is very positive. That was before I made my own razor from aluminum bar that does a great job for me (BBS shaves with no irritation). I was just wondering if anyone has more information. Thank you.

I had a fendrihan all stainless razor. It was one of the few razors I've owned that I didn't like at all. Way too much blade exposure and uneven exposure on the 2 sides.

Zamak rot is real. It can happen. If you want a reasonably priced razor that can't corrode go with a razorock game changer or mamba. About 60 bucks. Or go with a vintage Gillette. Most are solid brass.

Last edited:
Do you have the link please?

Yes. I see you are in Canada. Fendrihan is a Canadian company. The link may ask if you would like to be redirected to their Canadian site.

Last edited:
M

Member 113878

I bought this razor last year I think, and didn’t like it at all.
The handle is ridiculously heavy and slippery, and the head too agressive if I remember well.

I have a Fendrihan MkII stainless steel DE razor. Really like it. It's not supposed to be as aggressive as the MkI and I get a consistently good shave (FWIW, I don't chase BBS). Cost was about $35 - very good value.
Haven't tried the brass razor that the OP is looking at - but my experience with Fendrihan is positive.
Another brass alternative that might be worth considering is a Fatip.

From my experience with Fendrihan, their razors aren't made to the same tolerances that 'newer' stainless steel/brass razors are being made. Take that as you will.

I have a stainless steel razor of theirs, and the blade had incredibly uneven exposure. I didn't discover this until years (yes, literally years) after I purchased it (I never used it, believe it or not) when I went and tried popping a blade in. I contacted them and they didn't care how long it had been, they simply asked for my order number and for a picture of the problem. They sent me a replacement head, free of charge. So even though I can't say that Fendrihan razors are flawless, their customer service from my experience, is. So if you decide to order from them, at least you have that peace of mind.

I have a stainless Mark II and the shave ranks among the best of my rotation. Not overly aggressive but a lot of blade exposure so proper technique is required. The handles are also nice and have terrific grip.

I have a stainless Mk. I razor, a stainless Mk. II head on a Maggard MR-5 handle, and a Weston rose gold head on a Gillette Tuckaway handle.

My Mk. II is Is one of my favorite razors, about as aggressive as my 2013 R41. My Mk. I is the most aggressive razor I've seen. The Weston looks and feels exactly like a Maggard V3A, just with a better base metal than Zamak. Some other Fendrihan all-brass razors look like they're clones of a V3 or a DE-89. You have to look closely at the pictures on their site, as they profess ignorance of competitors' offerings.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I have the Mk2 Scientist. It's a very nice razor. You can't beat a stainless steel razor for $35 dollars. It is sintered steel but who cares? I find it smooth, and it shaves more efficiently than my Muhle r89.

I think the Fendrihan stainless are hit and miss. I had one and it was a big miss. But as you can see others like theres. The other products I get from Fendrihan are excellent. Good selection, great shipping and excellent rewards.

I think the Fendrihan stainless are hit and miss. I had one and it was a big miss. But as you can see others like theres. The other products I get from Fendrihan are excellent. Good selection, great shipping and excellent rewards.

I just want to get a decent shave each day. I do not intend to become a razor collector. So many razors look so good, but then I learn some little thing that would likely make the razor unworkable for me. It would be very helpful if there were a way to try before you buy. But, a razor means there may be blood now and then, and that makes for a bio-hazard. I think I have enough razors already to last the rest of my time on this earth, even if three of the five are homemade by me. Each of the three works well enough that I could get along very nicely if it were my only razor.

I have a MkII; I like the level of blade feel, milder than a Maggard V3A but more feedback than the bog-standard OEM Merkur/DE89 cloned. (I like sharper blades, too, so I do have to be careful. Haven't sliced anything with the Fendrihan yet.)

The construction quality is good, but not amazing; I like that it's a stronger material than Zamak. I wouldn't pay more than $40 for it given how many $30–$40 CNC-machined razors Italian Barber is churning out.

Alignment isn't a problem like it could hypothetically be on the Maggard razors, but that's the one area I'd look for an improvement in design.
The versatility of smooth-bar and OC on the same head is very nice.

Top Bottom