What's new

Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
My first, two steep uses of my current Shark Super Stainless or my no-prep use may have blunted it. On my fifth shave, it would still cut, but the angle had to be just so. After that, I switched to the fresh side and the increased sharpness took me by surprise. I believe side two will last much longer, but my last blade seemed unstoppable at shave 14 and stopped at shave 15, so I’ve got lots to learn.

My first, two steep uses of my current Shark Super Stainless or my no-prep use may have blunted it. On my fifth shave, it would still cut, but the angle had to be just so. After that, I switched to the fresh side and the increased sharpness took me by surprise. I believe side two will last much longer, but my last blade seemed unstoppable at shave 14 and stopped at shave 15, so I’ve got lots to learn.
I generally try to go a couple of shaves past a bad shave. Often, the blade seems to recover. It's likely caused by not paying attention to a light touch and a shallow angle. Maybe I should say my preferred angle.

I shave daily with AS-D2 and Merkur blade. I lather my face one time and shave with a mix of WTG, XTG and ATG with excellent result. I always do 12 shaves with the blade but can't see how to obtain more. Merkur blade from #3 to #12 is so smooth and efficient but after the blade became dull and hard on skin. Do you have some suggestions for me, i want to have more than 12 shaves.

I found ARKO helped me get more shaves than Williams. It forms a lather that allows me to do a "pushback stroke." I push back some lather to the next area to shave so the blade never hits bare skin.

Astra SP blades are popular. I suggest looking through the thread and seeing which blades get high numbers for people.

A light touch helps.

I suggest using only one edge until you get at least 2/3 of your previous record. If it doesn't make it, bin the blade. The second edge seems to last for fewer shaves.

Hang in there. Someday, the numbers will jump for some reason.

There is no single answer. Some people swear by opposite techniques. Find the ones that work for you.

thombrogan

Keeping track of sides overwhelmed me and I switched to single edge razors for now. Will even be using half-DE blades in a barber razor.

Focused on the light touch more. The tactile feedback is so fun. Except when I got the angle wrong and lightly scraped my skin. Still, got it right maybe 15% of the time, #winning!

Yes, tracking sides is tricky. I always take my razor apart after shaving. And flip it, when using DE-razor (seldom). Overwhelmling!

As this is my first post in this thread, I'll report my todays shave.
It was shave #32 with Gillete Platinum half-blade in my Kai Captain clone.
My intention was to toss it today. But it was a wonderful shave! Why throw away a good thing!
It seems I belong here!

thombrogan

I always flip my blades that aren’t in a barber razor, but tracking the sides was oddly frustrating with a three piece razor.

You certainly belong here, @Sisyphos ! Welcome!

Date​
04.07.2022​
Razor:R41 Clone (R41C) with KCG handle
Blade:Dorco ST300HQ (8) retired
Rating:6/10 SAS/CCS/DFS/BBS
Link:https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-newbies-journey-into-de-shaving.622889/post-11832235

Have a Great day everyone

thombrogan

If you get to 200 on this one, it might become that much easier. I thought you were shaving every 36 hours because of the closeness your recently more lightened touch brought.

If you get to 200 on this one, it might become that much easier. I thought you were shaving every 36 hours because of the closeness your recently more lightened touch brought.
This was also a factor. I've been busy being retired, and I sometimes forget to shave until I feel the whiskers getting longer.

thombrogan

Unless people are grabbing your chin and cheeks _with_ your consent, that sounds like a good way/reason to time your shaves.

Any more than two days without shaving and a raging neck beard erupts on me. My Lady deserves better than a “m’lady” from me, so I have Happy Razor Fun Time most every evening.

Top Bottom