What's new

Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector

Astra SP (101)
I started the second edge today. It was a bit more efficient, but I had to use more care not to cut myself. I used an extra light touch.

It's common for Excalibur members to have difficulty with a new sharp edge.
That is an awesome achievement. I am curious though, what do you mean with starting the second edge? Did you do 101 shaves with just one side? Or is it single edge? Love to learn to see what I can do to up my shaves past 10.

Thanks,

Guido

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Astra SP is a double edged razor blade. Gillette Astra Superior Platinum.

@GaryTha recommended I try a similar strategy of using one edge for as long as remained comfortable before using the other side to extend the life on my double edge blades. I did not plan it well enough the first time I tried, but believe I can pay more attention on my next blade.

That is an awesome achievement. I am curious though, what do you mean with starting the second edge? Did you do 101 shaves with just one side? Or is it single edge? Love to learn to see what I can do to up my shaves past 10.

Thanks,

Guido,
Thanks.

I use just one edge of the double-edge blade until it's about done. Then I start on the second edge. More shaves/blade seems to just happen with repetitions.

thombrogan

I noticed I'm you using a loose grip on my razor and a lighter touch than ever. I'm getting closer shaves than ever.

@ajduplessis has the signature line “The lighter your touch the closer the shave…” and I irrationally believed that platitude would guide me to the way. Much like sales at sporting goods stores guide me to the whey.

Struggled with varying degrees of failure, but your post re-invigorated my determination to fail some more.

Last night, a wet bed of ARKO! was the runway for a shallow angle and a lighter touch. Well, for a lot of the time. When the angle and direction were just so, it was magic and the remaining 97% was a slight struggle.

I expect using the same equipment each shave speeds up the learning curve and then one can run through a collection of needless toys dedicated to Happy Razor Fun Time in some unnamed future if desired.

Aside from the angle, I expect the light touch is a similar necessity for steep angled enjoyment, but there’s usually pressure on the safety comb/bar for steep done right.

Don’t know. Just having fun.

@ajduplessis has the signature line “The lighter your touch the closer the shave…” and I irrationally believed that platitude would guide me to the way. Much like sales at sporting goods stores guide me to the whey.

Struggled with varying degrees of failure, but your post re-invigorated my determination to fail some more.

Last night, a wet bed of ARKO! was the runway for a shallow angle and a lighter touch. Well, for a lot of the time. When the angle and direction were just so, it was magic and the remaining 97% was a slight struggle.

I expect using the same equipment each shave speeds up the learning curve and then one can run through a collection of needless toys dedicated to Happy Razor Fun Time in some unnamed future if desired.

Aside from the angle, I expect the light touch is a similar necessity for steep angled enjoyment, but there’s usually pressure on the safety comb/bar for steep done right.

Don’t know. Just having fun.
There is no such thing as failure; they are all learning experiences. Those who want to achieve more successes strive to experience more failures. Failures make perfect.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
There is no such thing as failure; they are all learning experiences. Those who want to achieve more successes strive to experience more failures. Failures make perfect.
I think you mean "failure is just a step on the road to success"

Or "A fall into a ditch makes you wiser"

thombrogan

The next attempt at going lighter let me knick myself, took longer than expected, and my skin feels great, but looks grated. From the remnants of the ARKO! once pressed in a coffee cup, one piece can be used like a shave stick and the others are embedded in disc of Col Conk Unscented. Both soaps; alone or together; provide slickness, so my slowness and scrapefullness are self generated.

Blade feels brand new.

thombrogan

Couldn’t get past 15 on the last DE without taking upsettingly long shaves. Will try better at maintaining use of one side of blade with next one.

Top Bottom