What's new

Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've completed shave #54 on a flipped every day Polsilver SI.

In other words I've got a long way to go with the blade, hopefully.

Towards that end it occurs to me to strop the DE blade. I have excellent leather and cloth strops and am very familiar with how to strop a straight razor, but exactly how to strop a DE blade is a mystery to me.

Could someone school me on the process?

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

I tried it but ended up discarding the blade (after about 55 or 56 shaves). No joy with the stropped blade.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Still a nice run I would say Jim - 55 shaves is a lot more than the average B&B member gets.

So what was the secret until the stropping? Daily flipping? Something else?

Guido

Really, I don't know.

All I did was daily flipping and maybe incidental (or significant?) towel stropping/blade drying.

I believe I pushed the blade beyond its abilities.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Maybe so, but it had been showing its disapproval for a good while before I thought of stropping it on leather.
Ha, right. I didn't realize that.

I always go for "great shaves" only... that's barring one-offs that could be put down to me (my disposition at the time), less than excellent lather, etc, in which case I'll use the same blade again. It usually is me and I find that the blade's absolutely fine; but if it's still rough I'll toss it and move on to a new blade straight away.

From the OP:
The point here is to find out what your real number of great shaves per blade is ...

@LJBraaten - I came across this stropper. Not a Twinplex, but I was wondering if you know the kind and if they are any good:

Vintage slijpsteen voor scheermesjes

(Picture by seller from marktplaats.nl)

Guido

Greetings Excaliburites,
I think I'm starting to get the hang of this: using either WSC rustic or Mitchell's wool fat and alternating razors, each with its own assigned blade, I've got 10 shaves on a Derby premium/52super speed (meh), 17 on a Feather/Slim adj@2-4 (still a bit scary but getting better), and best of all, not only numerically but in all other respects, 21 on Astra SP/Rocket HD, a blade which seems to be improving steadily, as so many others have reported. Gradually shaves are getting closer and more comfortable, two qualities I could never combine using Trac II. The exception continues to be the mustache area, which I still finish up with my old electric. I feel I have a long way to go there and fear I may have to accept either continuing to use the electric there or just let it grow out, as I can't stand to have one spot so much more poorly shaved than the rest. Today's shave, on two days growth, is the best yet, almost bbs and comfortable, except under my nose. Each shave takes me a long time, and I have to concentrate every second on low blade angle and light touch, but it's paying off. I don't mind the time as I'm retired, and I find this kind of shaving to be a kind of beneficial meditative practice as well as necessary for decent grooming, as I'm sure the rest of you already know. I enjoy my new brushes, soaps, and razors. What good is a new hobby if you can't acquire some new gear?
Thanks again to all those who have gone before and are still going. Without the guidance of this club I probably would have given up soon after starting.

Greetings Excaliburites,
I think I'm starting to get the hang of this: using either WSC rustic or Mitchell's wool fat and alternating razors, each with its own assigned blade, I've got 10 shaves on a Derby premium/52super speed (meh), 17 on a Feather/Slim adj@2-4 (still a bit scary but getting better), and best of all, not only numerically but in all other respects, 21 on Astra SP/Rocket HD, a blade which seems to be improving steadily, as so many others have reported. Gradually shaves are getting closer and more comfortable, two qualities I could never combine using Trac II. The exception continues to be the mustache area, which I still finish up with my old electric. I feel I have a long way to go there and fear I may have to accept either continuing to use the electric there or just let it grow out, as I can't stand to have one spot so much more poorly shaved than the rest. Today's shave, on two days growth, is the best yet, almost bbs and comfortable, except under my nose. Each shave takes me a long time, and I have to concentrate every second on low blade angle and light touch, but it's paying off. I don't mind the time as I'm retired, and I find this kind of shaving to be a kind of beneficial meditative practice as well as necessary for decent grooming, as I'm sure the rest of you already know. I enjoy my new brushes, soaps, and razors. What good is a new hobby if you can't acquire some new gear?
Thanks again to all those who have gone before and are still going. Without the guidance of this club I probably would have given up soon after starting.
Welcome to the forums!!!
I am on shave #21 (and still going) with a Nacet blade. I am currently involved in GRUME and the Shave of the Week Society (SWS).
Oh!, I like the word Excaliburites.

@LJBraaten - I came across this stropper. Not a Twinplex, but I was wondering if you know the kind and if they are any good:

Vintage slijpsteen voor scheermesjes

(Picture by seller from marktplaats.nl)

Guido
I have seen those too, but I don’t know much about them. There are probably some reviews or YouTube videos about them somewhere. The advantage of the Twinplex is they are hand crank operated ( no electric motors to fail), and there are a lot of them available.
FWIW: there are some who never hone or strop, and get over a hundred shaves per blade (scroll up a couple of pages.)

I have seen those too, but I don’t know much about them. There are probably some reviews or YouTube videos about them somewhere. The advantage of the Twinplex is they are hand crank operated ( no electric motors to fail), and there are a lot of them available.
FWIW: there are some who never hone or strop, and get over a hundred shaves per blade (scroll up a couple of pages.)
Ok thanks. This one is manually operated too. I will see what I can find. Maybe I will never buy or use it, but R&D is part of the shaving fun too!

Guido

Top Bottom