What's new

Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector

Just watched Just another shave’s latest episode. He took a Nacet to 469 (not a typo!). Admittedly he had a goatee so that saves some of the harder stubble to shave, but still - wow! he likes wetter leather which I don’t, so I will settle for less shaves per blade.

Guido

I now have both a Feather and an Astra blade both past 20 shaves each in different razors, and another Astra at about 8. Alternating among these, I'm starting to sense differences in feel from one to another, and also starting to feel the way a blade is cutting in the moment according to angle, pressure, and other variables I'm trying to control. I'm also starting to experience greater comfort with the Astra and Feather that have more shaves on them as they become "broken in," though I'm not sure the term "buttery" would have occurred to me yet. I still have to concentrate very hard every moment on shallow angle and lightest pressure, but, along with somewhat improved sensitivity, my shaves are gradually getting closer with no or minimal irritation. The mustache area continues to be the holdout, but even that's improving. I'm not quite at BBS level anywhere, but I would say DFS everywhere but the mustache and sometimes chin. That's more than enough to feel comfortable and look decent till the next day's shave. I never would have been able to spend the time this is all taking when I was still working, but I'm retired and find shave time to be relaxing interlude despite the challenges.
I just got a slim adjustable back from Chris Spencer at Back Roads Gold with new gold plating. It's gorgeous workmanship, turn around was very rapid, and the price seems quite reasonable to me. I also want to mention a good experience with Dapper Studios: I ordered a vintage Gillette but was sent the wrong one. In the meantime the one I ordered was apparently sent to someone else. Dapper immediately found and sent a more than acceptable substitute at no additional cost. I don't expect myself or anyone else to never make a mistake, but folks who stand behind their work and make it right when a mistake does occur have my respect.
Here's wishing everybody a lovely Autumn season.

Reading the number of shaves some get here i go crazy. My best is 12 shaves on a Rapira Platinum Lux and an Astra SP.
I wonder what i am doing wrong or do i use a bad razor (Rockwell 6C, plate 4) or bad lather (Proraso green and red, Monsavon, Stirling Campania, Rasozero Agrumella, Palmolive tube, Vergulde hand and a few canned foams like Brut, Gillette Foamy ).
I am puzzled ...
:em2100:

Top Bottom