What's new

Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector

AstraSP (47)

Random picture of wood backpacking stove.

Attachments

• 20220416_110754[1].jpg
    20220416_110754[1].jpg
    902.7 KB · Views: 16
Up until now my record has been a dozen shaves from Dorco Stainless and Prime blades (ST300/ST301/STP300/STP301) with my Astra SPs and Derby Extras in the 4-6 and 3-5 shave range respectively.

Have been surprised by a Derby Extra blade that as of today is up to 18 shaves and still going. Have posted in other forums on this but likely any new updates most likely belong here. Plan to run the blade out and with subsequent blades confirm is this is just an outlier Derby or the result of recent changes in technique where I've both modified my soap blends and also create a wetter lather that provides a lot more residual slickness. I'm using a Weishi long handle razor and rotate across my Van Der Williams soap blends and occasional straight Williams shave soap.

Been interesting on how the shaves are getting smoother as I continue using this blade though over the last shave or two I detected a slight increase in roughness and some extra touch up was required.

Have other Excalibur club members ever wound up posting here when a blade just kept going on its own or do you typically start out with an approach designed to generate extreme blade longevity?

Will update here when I run the blade out.

Earlier posts via the link below.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Have other Excalibur club members ever wound up posting here when a blade just kept going on its own or do you typically start out with an approach designed to generate extreme blade longevity?

I throw away blades when they are no longer comfortable and efficient, whether that's three shaves, or thirty three. I don't "try" to get a high shave count.

I posted on here last month, that a SuperMax blade that usually does 10 shaves, had stretched on for 27 shaves. No discernible difference in use/methods.

Still going on a Personna hair shaper blade in my Weck at 347 shaves. Four hundred may be a bridge too far.
Do you by any chance have a picture of the setup or a similar one? I've never heard about hair-shaper blades. I looked for an image, but I'm not sure I have the right one.

Anyway, 347 is a heap of shaves. Nice job.

These are my experiences as well
Up until now my record has been a dozen shaves from Dorco Stainless and Prime blades (ST300/ST301/STP300/STP301) with my Astra SPs and Derby Extras in the 4-6 and 3-5 shave range respectively.

I have tried the Dorco ST300HQ for two times now and both latest 6 shaves. It is so smooth I sometimes forget how many shave I have on them already.

As for technique I rinse my blade with cold water rather than warm water (as per Geofatboy’s video).

I am now on a Tiger Platinum blade. They usually last me 4-5 shaves, but I am giving it another go to see if I can push it to a week.

YMMV but my regular shaves are 4 passes so per shave my blade gets plenty of a workout.

I will keep you all posted of my progress .

Cheers,

Guido

Wow, the amount of shaves with an Astra SP sometimes here. When i use this blade its already a bad shave from the first 3 shaves and i push it to about 6 and then throw it away because its so giving me blood on the face
🥸.

One of the worst blades for me, quite weird because i see so many guys who like them.

Best blades for me are Derby Premium and Rapira Platinum Lux (smooth, sharp enough and i get about 7 to 10 shaves each time).

More then ever i start thinking i am doing something wrong or so 😵‍💫

Wow, the amount of shaves with an Astra SP sometimes here. When i use this blade its already a bad shave from the first 3 shaves and i push it to about 6 and then throw it away because its so giving me blood on the face
🥸.

One of the worst blades for me, quite weird because i see so many guys who like them.

Best blades for me are Derby Premium and Rapira Platinum Lux (smooth, sharp enough and i get about 7 to 10 shaves each time).

The first 10 shaves or so on the Astra SP are tricky for me. I have to be careful to use an extremely light touch. I'm up to 76 shaves on my first blade. I've only had one tiny nick.

I retired the Tiger today. There may have been a fifth shave in it, but I felt comfortability decrease. Tomorrow a new Tiger and this time straight into a Fatip Piccolo OC. That worked out well last time.
🥸.

What I also did with this new blade is I corked it, maybe that could help you too in getting more mileage with the Astra? I have no idea - wel after tomorrow.

Cheers,

Guido

🥸.

You probably aren't doing anything wrong. For a long time, I only got seven shaves on a blade. Then it went up to 25, then suddenly, it jumped over 100. It just happened with repetition. I can't clearly define what "it" was.

This is the first blade where I used ARKO. It's working well.

I made an error on my last post. I'm up to 76 shaves on the first edge. I use one edge until it loses efficiency, and then I switch to the other edge.

I rinse the razor after each use. About every two to three weeks, I soak the razor and blade in a mixture of 50% dish soap and 50% water. That gets everything spotless.

Another thing I discovered is a "pushback stroke." I use a shallow angle and don't lift the razor off my face between most strokes. On the pushback, I push some lather back to the spot I'm going to shave. It's similar to buffing, but with long strokes. This morning, I counted and each area is shaved about eight times. This is a somewhat difficult technique at first. Now, my subconscious takes care of it.

I also use a diagonal stroke in most places. This means the head is diagonal to the direction of travel. It's like slicing with a knife instead of scraping with an ice-scraper.

The whole shave takes about five minutes from start to finish including the little cleanup.

Last edited:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
It's similar to buffing, but with long strokes. This morning, I counted and each area is shaved about eight times. This is a somewhat difficult technique at first. Now, my subconscious takes care of it.

You use a very shallow angle with the blade slightly skewed from its direction of travel and use your pushback stroke about eight times in an area to get the closeness/cleanliness you seek?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My last shave was shave 30 on a German Wilkinson Sword, a blade which for me, usually hits a brick wall around shave 20. It may be due to using the black plastic Wilkinson Sword Classic razor, which clamps and supports differently to my usual Jagger, or of course, it could just be a complete fluke.

Either way, It's still doing what it needs to do, so I will be continuing with it.

:behead:Like a guillotine Thom.
Well, its in fact creating a slant effect. I find my Razorock 37 German slant razor very efficient. I guess the shallow angle and the "push-back" stroke is worth trying too.
But why isn't it possible to simply sharpen/hone a DE blade on a fine grit stone, like with straight razors?

Top Bottom