What's new

Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector

Awesome. The buttery edge shaves are indeed addictive. You can use this in your signature !

I've read many debates and threads on the lines of "Life is too Short and blades are cheap for bad shaves". Having experienced this kind of shaves - I am hooked.

I am happy to confidently announce after two months of experimenting with two blades that I do belong in the Excalibur club with humble beginnings.
  1. Super-Max Diamond Edge DE blade : 25 shaves in OBIF'22 - abandoned for a feather blade for FFFMM;22
  2. Feather Hi-Stainless DE blade : 31 magnificent shaves in a Timeless Ti 0.5mm SB razor. It is still going strong and I will be using it with other razors in April, mostly adjustable razors as part of the Adjustable April month exercise started by @JAHE
Still learning and taking one step at a time to see how far I can push a blade in my comfort zone without any compromises on the shave quality.

1646049485161.jpg1648707760351.jpg

I will be closing out March with 30 shaves on a Nacet. Thirty great shaves. What a difference compared with the Lord Racer I rode for the whole One-Blade-in-February challenge. I thought every shave after number 8 was going to be the last. And that's how it shaved for the whole month--like it was one shave away from binning for the entire month. The Nacet, on the other hand, shaved better at 30 shaves than the Racer did at just about any point in its use.

Just goes to show that the blade makes a huge difference in the longevity of shaves and the comfort of those shaves.

I might keep the Nacet parked in the Gillette Fatboy and pick it up on occasions. See how far I can take it. I've taken a few blades to 40 shaves and one to 50. This one feels like it could go 50.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
My lack of pre-shave routine was awesome for about two weeks and then my under jawline whiskers became quite the survivors. I think it’s because I stopped applying hyaluronic concoctions to my skin post shave around the same time, but it could also be the cumulative use of alcohol splashes, a seasonal change in the atmosphere, or me lucking into newer ways of being an imbecile. Keeping my foibles, face booze, and weather in consideration, I’ve resumed the hyaluronic schmear for now with options on dropping the beloved face freezing splash and showering before shaving as further options.

You ready for a shock? I get about 7 or 8 shaves regularly with Vanderhagen blades in my SuperSpeed. I shave twice a week, so that’s a month for me. Shaves last a good while. That’s my gauge.
At some point I'll give VdH another go, but from a new tuck. My one and only experience while trialing blades was not good. In all fairness, my form was poorer; but I could not finish the shave. I chalked it up to a bad blade.

Personna Lab Blue (30)

img-4243_dsc_4243-2-jpg.1433668

I will save the blade for later and try to push it further.
I have been meaning to jump onto some of these as well as Med-Preps. I am quite fond of Reds and Crystals.
I binned my Crystal today at (16) from my Mühle R89. Given this is more than 5x the duration I have ridden any blade it was beginning to tug at the base of my Adam's Apple. Moving onto a Wizamet SI

At some point I'll give VdH another go, but from a new tuck. My one and only experience while trialing blades was not good. In all fairness, my form was poorer; but I could not finish the shave. I chalked it up to a bad blade.

I have been meaning to jump onto some of these as well as Med-Preps. I am quite fond of Reds and Crystals.
I binned my Crystal today at (16) from my Mühle R89. Given this is more than 5x the duration I have ridden any blade it was beginning to tug at the base of my Adam's Apple. Moving onto a Wizamet SI
Yeah- I’ve figured out that if you’ve been doing this a while- like driving- you can pretty much use any razor and any blade and it’s kinda on you to figure out how the three of you (you, razor, & blade) will work together. My REAL challenge to myself is to walk into a CVS and grab the crappy DE’s they sell and slap one in the SuperSpeed and get a shave goin’. At this point it’s like making bass lures out of beer bottle caps and then fishing with them. That’s kinda why I learned the straight razor, lol!!! Kinda made the safety razor my b-i- you know what. At this point I’m just trying to see if I can get the absolute worst blade I know of to perform. Last time I used them they were in a merkur and an EJ. My little SuperSpeed is my junk blade driver. It’s a treasure!

Yeah- I’ve figured out that if you’ve been doing this a while- like driving- you can pretty much use any razor and any blade and it’s kinda on you to figure out how the three of you (you, razor, & blade) will work together. My REAL challenge to myself is to walk into a CVS and grab the crappy DE’s they sell and slap one in the SuperSpeed and get a shave goin’. At this point it’s like making bass lures out of beer bottle caps and then fishing with them. That’s kinda why I learned the straight razor, lol!!! Kinda made the safety razor my b-i- you know what. At this point I’m just trying to see if I can get the absolute worst blade I know of to perform. Last time I used them they were in a merkur and an EJ. My little SuperSpeed is my junk blade driver. It’s a treasure!

Those Goodline blades are unbranded and most likely uncoated Personna's, Made in Germany.
I have a few of their equivalent blades from my local Base PX; 10/$1.49 and they shave pretty darn well.

If you're part of CVS's Carepass, it's something like $5/ month for a $10 credit. I subscribe because I drink a lot of Monster or Rockstars when I fish offshore, which is March - December here. But, you could use them against KCGs and walk out 2pks of 10 for roughly $9. They shave extremely nice, but I guess there's still a cost for same-day convenience...

Note:
If the bass are on a bed, they will bite anything eventually :001_tongu

Astra SP (46) ARKO (47)

I'm still on the first edge. Today, I found a stage "beyond buttery." I couldn't even feel the blade cutting the whiskers. No noise or anything. Still the same close shave.

ARKO gets the credit. I found a lather that feels like gel. Slick and protective.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Excalibur SOTD
20220416_090110[1].jpg

Razor: Executive D3
Blade: Gillette Platinum (26)
Brush: Shavemac 22/50
Soap: AdP Colonia
ASL: Pinaud VIBR

I think the D3 Executive is one of the finest razors that Gillette ever made, and this one is my favorite TTO razor.
It is definitely in my Top Five of all my razors, and this morning's shave was Damn Comfortable and close to boot.

This Gillette Platinum is the same blade that I started using in January and with 25 shaves it appears to be entering the "buttery stage".
I'm thinking it just might be an entrant into the Excalibur Club, and I plan on pushing it as far as it will go.

Along the way I plan on using AdP to keep things consistent, but I might toss in a Vintage Williams shave or two, as MWS is no longer in production and I got my pucks at the local grocery store 4 years ago when it was $1.49.

Checking my records I see that I used #7 with a Feather that had 11 shaves on it, but I left the setting on #5 with the Gillette Platinum(26) this shave, and it was "smooth as Butta". I might click it up a notch on the next shave.

The post shave products all performed wonderfully as usual, and I'm ready to go out and finish up the yardwork I started yesterday. Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? I think there are races on TV today...

~doug~

Top Bottom